Retaking Undergraduate Classes

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kristaann_vt
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Retaking Undergraduate Classes

Postby kristaann_vt » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi everyone,

My school does not have a pre-law advisor, so I would appreciate any information you can give.

While in high school, I completed 72 college credits towards a nursing degree (these included English, Anatomy, Chemistry, ext). These were not dual enrollment classes (I did not receive high school credit for them), and I took these classes at several local colleges (community and traditional 4 year schools). To keep my sanity while balancing a full time college and full time AP course load, I earned only B's and C's. At the time, I thought this was fine, because these were the grades I needed for the classes to transfer to another nursing program. I was also only 15-17 years old, and had no plans to go to graduate school. I am not trying to make excuses, but I did not receive these lower grades due to lack of ability.

Anyways, I received a full tuition scholarship to a university that did not offer nursing. Therefore, I had to pursue different majors. Through various internships and experiences I realized law school is needed to achieve my personal and career goals. I did not realize until recently that law schools will recalculate my GPA to include all college courses, including the classes I took while in high school.

At my current university (the university where I will receive my bachelor's degree) I have a 3.7 and rising GPA. It will probably be around a 3.8 when I graduate. However, I am nervous about my nursing classes seriously hindering the GPA law schools will receive, as they were all 4 credit classes.

I can retake several of these classes this summer (Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, ext). I am confident that I can receive A's in these classes. The policy of the schools where I took these classes is that only the highest score will be recorded on the transcript, although they will note that these classes was retaken. Do you all believe this would be worth it? I'm not sure if law schools will think it strange that I retook science classes the summer before I applied to law school.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Retaking Undergraduate Classes

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:29 pm

kristaann_vt wrote:I can retake several of these classes this summer (Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, ext). I am confident that I can receive A's in these classes. The policy of the schools where I took these classes is that only the highest score will be recorded on the transcript, although they will note that these classes was retaken. Do you all believe this would be worth it? I'm not sure if law schools will think it strange that I retook science classes the summer before I applied to law school.

It won't matter. Even if you retake a class, LSAC doesn't replace the initial class with the new grade.

kristaann_vt
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Retaking Undergraduate Classes

Postby kristaann_vt » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:42 pm

Dirigo wrote:
kristaann_vt wrote:I can retake several of these classes this summer (Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, ext). I am confident that I can receive A's in these classes. The policy of the schools where I took these classes is that only the highest score will be recorded on the transcript, although they will note that these classes was retaken. Do you all believe this would be worth it? I'm not sure if law schools will think it strange that I retook science classes the summer before I applied to law school.

It won't matter. Even if you retake a class, LSAC doesn't replace the initial class with the new grade.


So will they not count the class at all? The old grade (according to school policy) will not appear on the transcript. It will just have an * indicating that it was retaken.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Retaking Undergraduate Classes

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:45 pm

kristaann_vt wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
kristaann_vt wrote:I can retake several of these classes this summer (Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, ext). I am confident that I can receive A's in these classes. The policy of the schools where I took these classes is that only the highest score will be recorded on the transcript, although they will note that these classes was retaken. Do you all believe this would be worth it? I'm not sure if law schools will think it strange that I retook science classes the summer before I applied to law school.

It won't matter. Even if you retake a class, LSAC doesn't replace the initial class with the new grade.

So will they not count the class at all? The old grade (according to school policy) will not appear on the transcript. It will just have an * indicating that it was retaken.

It doesn't matter what your current school's transcript says. You'll have to send your other schools' transcripts to LSAC as well.

kristaann_vt
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Retaking Undergraduate Classes

Postby kristaann_vt » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:02 pm

Dirigo wrote:
kristaann_vt wrote:
Dirigo wrote:
kristaann_vt wrote:I can retake several of these classes this summer (Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, ext). I am confident that I can receive A's in these classes. The policy of the schools where I took these classes is that only the highest score will be recorded on the transcript, although they will note that these classes was retaken. Do you all believe this would be worth it? I'm not sure if law schools will think it strange that I retook science classes the summer before I applied to law school.

It won't matter. Even if you retake a class, LSAC doesn't replace the initial class with the new grade.

So will they not count the class at all? The old grade (according to school policy) will not appear on the transcript. It will just have an * indicating that it was retaken.

It doesn't matter what your current school's transcript says. You'll have to send your other schools' transcripts to LSAC as well.


Exactly! Sorry for the confusion. I'm going to take the classes at my old school. Their policy is to replace the grade and not show the old grade. Nothing on my current school's transcript will change. Does that make sense? Thanks!

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Retaking Undergraduate Classes

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:19 pm

LSAC still counts the first attempt. Sorry, but that's just their policy. It's how they maintain fairness. Most colleges will still reflect your first attempt on your transcript even if they change the number of credits assigned to zero for the initial attempt and instead assign the credits only to the second attempt instead.

Of interest:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=220956#p7302769

You'd probably be better off taking easy classes at your current school instead of trying to reattempt hard science classes.

kristaann_vt
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Re: Retaking Undergraduate Classes

Postby kristaann_vt » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Dirigo wrote:LSAC still counts the first attempt. Sorry, but that's just their policy. It's how they maintain fairness. Most colleges will still reflect your first attempt on your transcript even if they change the number of credits assigned to zero for the initial attempt and instead assign the credits only to the second attempt instead.

Of interest:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=220956#p7302769

You'd probably be better off taking easy classes at your current school instead of trying to reattempt hard science classes.


Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it. Do you know how they find out the original scores if they're not on the transcript? I'm just curious.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Retaking Undergraduate Classes

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:24 pm

kristaann_vt wrote:
Dirigo wrote:LSAC still counts the first attempt. Sorry, but that's just their policy. It's how they maintain fairness. Most colleges will still reflect your first attempt on your transcript even if they change the number of credits assigned to zero for the initial attempt and instead assign the credits only to the second attempt instead.
Of interest:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=220956#p7302769
You'd probably be better off taking easy classes at your current school instead of trying to reattempt hard science classes.

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it. Do you know how they find out the original scores if they're not on the transcript? I'm just curious.

Read the thread I posted.
If you're really concerned, just call up LSAC tomorrow and ask about it.
Also call up the registrar at your old schools to ask how retakes and academic renewal is reflected on the transcript.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest