LSAT Diagnostic Exam

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pollywolly88

LSAT Diagnostic Exam

Postby pollywolly88 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:21 pm

Hello,

I would like to take a practice/diagnostic LSAT exam to see what I would score on it. Does anyone know where I can take a diagnostic exam that is most representative of the real LSAT?

Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Re: LSAT Diagnostic Exam

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:25 pm

pollywolly88

Postby pollywolly88 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks! Also I was wondering how much do people generally improve from their diagnostic score if they prep/study hard?

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:54 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:Thanks! Also I was wondering how much do people generally improve from their diagnostic score if they prep/study hard?

Depends. I'm 20 points higher than mine and shooting for 25-30 on my retake.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:59 pm

pollywolly88 wrote:Thanks! Also I was wondering how much do people generally improve from their diagnostic score if they prep/study hard?

I've seen people start at a 120 and people start in the mid-160's. The results are always varied. On average, maybe like 8 points but it's a useless data point. I've seen people, including a subsequent tutor improve 30 points, and know people who improved 1 or 2. Starting scores tend to be an imperfect approximation of starting ability. Some people are very smart but just don't understand what they're being tested on, and what they're being asked to do. Other people may have been an English major or have taken logic courses so start off higher than they would had they not, but may have a relatively similar ceiling.

Also, people have very different definitions of working hard. For some, you may have to move mountains to inspire them to complete one practice test (think gift certificate type positive reinforcement). For others, telling them they can relax a little and don't have to do multiple full tests a day is mind blowing. The biggest predictors are starting score, and where you're losing points. Improving a -15 in RC to a -3 would require learning a fundamentally different approach to reading, which can take a long time and a lot of dedication. -15 on logic games can easily become -0 in a few weeks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”