3 prior law schools, lor

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
john1990

3 prior law schools, lor

Postby john1990 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:01 am

I have had short stints at 3 different law schools 3 years and am no longer able to be accepted anywhere but a T4 where I am reluctant to attend. Would taking a period of time off (maybe 3-5 years) make a difference in my chances of admission to a T1? I was a 166/3.3. What are my chances of ever getting back to a good school?

I withdrew twice in good standing (parent was ill, unhappy at T4 school and once in bad standing for accidentally failing to disclose prior law schools on my application.

I know my LSAT will expire, but will my LOR expire on my LSAC account? Are they good indefinitely?

eriedoctrine

Re: 3 prior law schools, lor

Postby eriedoctrine » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:06 am

0/10
Trying too hard bro.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:09 am

LS has not worked out for me in my early 20's but I know the average student's age is much closer to 30. I assume I have time, but will my history always cripple my LS apps?

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:58 am

What schools did u go to before?

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:05 am

Brooklyn - withdrew since mother was ill
Thomas Jefferson - withdrew since it was 4t
St Johns - offer of acceptance withdrawn a week into the semester for faulty app

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:41 am

I don't think anyone can tell you definitively "yes" or "no" since this isn't really a common situation, and it's going to depend on what you do in the meantime, for how long, what LSAT score you end up with in the future, and all sorts of currently unknown things. It seems like you'd benefit from forgetting about law school for the moment, getting a job, working, and maybe seeing whether there's something else you'd like to do besides law. If you actually accomplish something in some other context, you will make a stronger applicant than if you just look like you were killing time till you thought you could apply to law school again.

I don't know if LORs expire, but if you do apply again in 5ish years, you should probably get new/updated LORs anyway - schools may accept them, but submitting 5 y.o. letters without any update will look weird/like you couldn't find anyone else willing to support you.

(I'm saying 5ish years because the longer you take off the better you will be. You may also want to stop saying "accidentally failed to disclose prior law schools on application" because really, how can that have been an accident? That and having to withdraw in bad standing are probably what's killing you here.)

SFrost

Postby SFrost » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:54 pm

john1990 wrote:Brooklyn - withdrew since mother was ill
St Johns - offer of acceptance withdrawn a week into the semester for faulty app

Just super curious, but uh, when you say with you withdrew your "offer of acceptance" to St. Johns, did you actually attend a day of class?

If so, the wording seems off. You didn't turn them down; you deposited, attended, then withdrew. It seems much worse than simply declining the offer of admission.

swampman

Postby swampman » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:49 pm

SFrost wrote:

Just super curious, but uh, when you say with you withdrew your "offer of acceptance" to St. Johns, did you actually attend a day of class?

If so, the wording seems off. You didn't turn them down; you deposited, attended, then withdrew. It seems much worse than simply declining the offer of admission.

He's saying the offer of acceptance was withdrawn, as in withdrawn by the school, not by him.

SFrost

Postby SFrost » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:58 pm

swampman wrote:
SFrost wrote:

He's saying the offer of acceptance was withdrawn, as in withdrawn by the school, not by him.

Oh, RC fail, I see. Jeez, that seems REALLY REALLY bad. I could see adcoms forgiving such an "accident" if it was your only app issue, but on your third time in law school? It's time to get a job or go to trade school, IMO.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:09 pm

If I forget about law school and apply to grad school will I face the same trouble I have with Law School? I was having trouble getting in anywhere above T4. I would just pursue an MBA if I thought Fordham and up were an immediate possibility.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:20 pm

Why? What will getting a MBA accomplish?

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:25 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Why? What will getting a MBA accomplish?

A chance of better employment. I am from an undergraduate school with mediocre job prospects at best.

SFrost

Postby SFrost » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:32 pm

john1990 wrote:

A chance of better employment. I am from an undergraduate school with mediocre job prospects at best.

Do you have business experience? MBA is even worse than a JD if you don't go to a top school. At least a JD lets you get licensed to do something. MBA is just paper.

Why do you need to go to professional school? What about a trade, retail management, construction, etc

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:34 pm

john1990 wrote:

But MBA programs are really designed for people who already have business experience. If you don't, getting one is just going to be expensive and not really improve your job prospects.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”