Mention acceptances in LOCI to dream school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
questionanswer

Mention acceptances in LOCI to dream school?

Postby questionanswer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:15 am

Is that a good or bad idea? How would you word that email?? Thanks guys!

questionanswer

Re: Mention acceptances in LOCI to dream school?

Postby questionanswer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:59 am

bump, please advise!

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:06 pm

"Though I have already been accepted to several top schools, School X remains my top choice, and if admitted I am committed to attending..." or something along those lines. I would not mention the specific schools you were accepted to though just cuz that would sound kinda weird to me.

RunnerRunner

Postby RunnerRunner » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:10 pm

I read somewhere that mentioning rival schools is a terrible idea. Like, if you were in at Columbia and waiting for NYU you should not mention Columbia anywhere in a LOCI.

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:22 pm

I don't really get what the possible upside would be.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:17 pm

Nathanael wrote:I don't really get what the possible upside would be.

questionanswer

Postby questionanswer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:36 pm

It would be to show the dream school that I've gotten into an equally good school and to nudge them to accept me . It's like when you get a job offer and you try to leverage that to increase the demand for you...

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:03 pm

questionanswer wrote:It would be to show the dream school that I've gotten into an equally good school and to nudge them to accept me . It's like when you get a job offer and you try to leverage that to increase the demand for you...

Not the right comparison. That would make sense if you trying to leverage scholarship offers. Essentially what you are telling them is that you have been accepted to other law schools that you may attend. I don't see any reason why this would help.

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
questionanswer wrote:It would be to show the dream school that I've gotten into an equally good school and to nudge them to accept me . It's like when you get a job offer and you try to leverage that to increase the demand for you...

Not the right comparison. That would make sense if you trying to leverage scholarship offers. Essentially what you are telling them is that you have been accepted to other law schools that you may attend. I don't see any reason why this would help.

So it does help once you're in to both schools? I'm just asking because I'll have to negotiate scholarships over the next few months, and don't know whether it's a good idea or a bad idea to tell a school I got into about other scholarship offers I have. I'll read the megathread on it next week and see what I need to do, but I'm interested in all opinions on this.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:54 pm

OP, don't do this.

Tetris, wait until you receive a financial aid package from the school before you negotiate. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:55 am

Dirigo wrote:OP, don't do this.

Tetris, wait until you receive a financial aid package from the school before you negotiate. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Ya, Dirigo is right here. It will definitely help once you are in at both schools and offer scholarship offers. Also, The best time to start negotiating seems to be end of Feb/beginning of March. Adcomms aren't too crazy about those that try to negotiate first. I recommend reading the Spivey thread on the subject too.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”