Scholarship

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
missybug

Scholarship

Postby missybug » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:29 pm

Is it at all possible to get a full scholarship to a low ranked school with a 2.6/167??? Has anyone got one with numbers similar to mine?

missybug

Re: Scholarship

Postby missybug » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:39 pm

I should add I've gotten close to 2/3 from northeastern but I need full tuition or else there is no way I can attend law school

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:52 pm

Retake the LSAT and get a 170+
???
Profit

missybug

Postby missybug » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:12 pm

Ugh retake? Really? :/

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Full tuition is probably not going to happen. There's no reason for schools to shell out for your GPA. Besides, any school that does is not worth attending.

mike0331

Postby mike0331 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:02 pm

I don't think it's out of the question for some place like suffolk. You could probably get more from NEU.

Mike

missybug

Postby missybug » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:34 pm

mike0331 wrote:I don't think it's out of the question for some place like suffolk. You could probably get more from NEU.

Mike

Do you think negotiating might work? I could maybe swing a few K a few but I have a baby so I can't pay too much towards law school

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:36 pm

Why do you want to go to law school? What are you career goals?

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:39 pm

Suffolk should not be an option under really any circumstances. Nor should New England. They are two of the worst law schools in existence. Northeastern is in the same category.

BaberhamLincoln

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:42 pm

missybug wrote:Ugh retake? Really? :/

are you trolling lol

yes. its your future and tens of thousands.

i took it twice. should have taken it three times. listen to people here

missybug

Postby missybug » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:48 pm

Dirigo wrote:Why do you want to go to law school? What are you career goals?

Dirigo wrote:Why do you want to go to law school? What are you career goals?

I am working for a family law mediator and hope to do the same and become a family law attorney...would especially like to help people going through custody disputes that I dealt with

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 pm

missybug wrote:
mike0331 wrote:I don't think it's out of the question for some place like suffolk. You could probably get more from NEU.

Mike

Do you think negotiating might work? I could maybe swing a few K a few but I have a baby so I can't pay too much towards law school

Don't listen to this terrible advice. You would be better off not going to law school than going to Suffolk or NEU. You will have difficulty getting any job from these schools.

missybug

Postby missybug » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:53 pm

hoos89 wrote:
missybug wrote:

Mike

Don't listen to this terrible advice. You would be better off not going to law school than going to Suffolk or NEU. You will have difficulty getting any job from these schools.

Getting a job isn't the issue I will have one waiting for me once I am done with school I just need law school completed if I want to work as an attorney for them, which I do

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:55 pm

Has this family law mediator guaranteed you a job? Do you have an idea of whether this would pay sufficiently more to justify the time lost going to law school?

missybug

Postby missybug » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:57 pm

hoos89 wrote:Has this family law mediator guaranteed you a job? Do you have an idea of whether this would pay sufficiently more to justify the time lost going to law school?

Yes my job is guaranteed and the pay is well worth it only issue is school and how to pay.

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:59 pm

missybug wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
missybug wrote:

Mike

Getting a job isn't the issue I will have one waiting for me once I am done with school I just need law school completed if I want to work as an attorney for them, which I do

It's probably not going to be a rewarding move, financially, even with a full ride, considering the opportunity cost.

Also you need to get this job offer in writing. You are talking about attending a school where almost 70% of all graduates cannot find a job as an attorney essentially a year after graduation. I cannot understate how bad of a situation these schools put their graduates in.

missybug

Postby missybug » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:13 pm

How do the schools put their grads in such bad positions?
[
quote="Ron Don Volante"]
missybug wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
missybug wrote:

Mike

It's probably not going to be a rewarding move, financially, even with a full ride, considering the opportunity cost.

Also you need to get this job offer in writing. You are talking about attending a school where almost 70% of all graduates cannot find a job as an attorney essentially a year after graduation. I cannot understate how bad of a situation these schools put their graduates in.[/quote]

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:15 pm

missybug wrote:How do the schools put their grads in such bad positions?

ron don wrote:almost 70% of all graduates cannot find a job as an attorney essentially a year after graduation

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Do you have a significant other who is able to cover your COL/child expenses?

missybug

Postby missybug » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:19 pm

sort of..I get enough help from kids dad to cover our expenses
Ron Don Volante wrote:Do you have a significant other who is able to cover your COL/child expenses?

ballcaps

Postby ballcaps » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:20 pm

missybug wrote:How do the schools put their grads in such bad positions?

that's not really the relevant question, but the short answer is that they continue to exist and confer degrees. that's what puts their grads in such a terrible position, given the state of the legal industry.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/suffolk/2013/
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/newengland/2013/

as you can see, the vast majority of graduates from both schools do not (read: cannot) find legal employment.

if that doesn't turn you off, then i think this conversation is over, no?

edit: scooped

Ron Don Volante

Postby Ron Don Volante » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:23 pm

Well that changes the math a little bit. But you really need to get an actual, contractual guarantee that you have a paying job upon bar passage in order to give these schools the slightest bit of consideration. There is such incredible risk going to any that have been mentioned in this thread, even when it's free. Especially when you've got a kid to worry about.

I'm not pulling these stats out of thin air. Go to http://www.lawschooltransparency.com and play around with the data. It's bleak.

missybug

Postby missybug » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:54 pm

I guess..but my job prospects are just as bleak without

Ron Don Volante wrote:Well that changes the math a little bit. But you really need to get an actual, contractual guarantee that you have a paying job upon bar passage in order to give these schools the slightest bit of consideration. There is such incredible risk going to any that have been mentioned in this thread, even when it's free. Especially when you've got a kid to worry about.

I'm not pulling these stats out of thin air. Go to http://www.lawschooltransparency.com and play around with the data. It's bleak.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:55 pm

So I'm guessing you need to stay in Boston area?

missybug

Postby missybug » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:02 pm

Dirigo wrote:So I'm guessing you need to stay in Boston area?

No I can go anywhere I have family..Boston, Los angeles, arizona

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”