Quick question about being at the GPA median

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Scruffy

Quick question about being at the GPA median

Postby Scruffy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:31 am

Do adcomms round at all when looking at whether an applicant is at their GPA median or do you literally have to hit the median on the dot to be considered "at median?"

For example, if an applicant has a 3.68 and the school's median is a 3.70. Is the applicant then considered below median and therefore has a lesser chance of admission?

rinkrat19

Re: Quick question about being at the GPA median

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:33 am

That's below median.

If you were a 3.6999, sure.

Scruffy

Postby Scruffy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:36 am

rinkrat19 wrote:That's below median.

Thanks. I assumed that you have to hit it exactly or be higher, but I wasn't sure.

KMart

Postby KMart » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:45 am

Scruffy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:That's below median.

Thanks. I assumed that you have to hit it exactly or be higher, but I wasn't sure.

Freshman year of UG I went to a, "Meet the Firms" type of deal where one of my friends rounded his 3.76 to a 3.8. That's the first, and only, time I've ever seen someone round.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:26 am

Adcoms wouldn't round but .02 is such a small difference that I would expect the outcomes to be the same.
Class medians change from year to year. You may be below the published median for last year's class, but come to find out you're at or above median when your class's data is published. It's all relative to the other applicants.

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:51 pm

Dirigo wrote:Adcoms wouldn't round but .02 is such a small difference that I would expect the outcomes to be the same.
Class medians change from year to year. You may be below the published median for last year's class, but come to find out you're at or above median when your class's data is published. It's all relative to the other applicants.

I would also be thinking like this. Especially given the significant drop in applicants, I would be surprised if most schools did not have a small drop in their GPA medians. The only possible exception being if they willingly take a drop in LSAT median in exchange for raising their GPA.

Scruffy

Postby Scruffy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:53 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”