Law School Addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
APL

New

Law School Addendum

Post by APL » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:37 pm

For those who have written an addendum, do you believe it helped with the weaker parts of your application?

Last Fall, I took a Latin course and made an A. The following term I continued studying Latin, but made a D. I was excelling in the course initially, but found myself unable to attend classes or do the assignments after being sexually assaulted by a peer who was in the same class towards the end of the semester.

I firmly believe that the latter grade does not reflect my academic ability, but the circumstances that I described. How should I express that to an admissions committee without sounding like a victim?

BillsFan9907

Silver

Re: Law School Addendum

Post by BillsFan9907 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:57 am

This is extremely serious. Can you petition to have that class struck from your record? I cannot think of a situation more deserving of that than this. The school failed to provide you with a safe environment for that class. Perhaps get some advocacy groups on your side.

There is no way you can write an addendum without looking like a victim (because you were). Ideally, you can be in a position where that will not be necessary.

APL

New

Re: Law School Addendum

Post by APL » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:13 pm

I have spoken with my academic advisor about the situation, and he advises that I start a Title IX investigation against my assailiant. As far as my grade, there is nothing he can do as Columbia's policies are set.

The situation just sucks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”