Gap year, and reapplying, need advice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JayCutlerYoloSwag

New

Gap year, and reapplying, need advice

Post by JayCutlerYoloSwag » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:15 pm

Hello TLS,
I am currently finishing my last UG semester, and had planned on attending law school this fall. I was accepted into several t2 and t3 schools with $$$. However, after much debate, and research, (most of which came on this site, LSN, and LST) I have decided that it would probably be better for me to take a gap year and re-study for my LSAT. My goals are private sector work, probably small law, in the Midwest where I have several really good connections. While I don't need to go to a top school for my career goals, I'm decently sure this is the right choice as I was rejected from my dream t1 school that I wanted to attend my whole childhood. I scored a shit 158 after 5 months of studying, with a 3.4 GPA. That being said, I have a few questions regarding taking a gap year and reapplying.

Will next cycle be as favorable as this one, or will applicants rise?

Will schools that I reapply to next cycle look at my unfavorably? Particularly those I was already accepted into this cycle with 1/2-3/4 tuition? I'm sure schools I was rejected from will understand, but I'm more worried that schools who gave me offers will withhold them the next cycle, especially if my LSAT does not improve too much.

Do I need all new LOR's (2 were from professors, 1 from an attorney) and a new Personal Statement, or can I tweak the one I already wrote?

Finally, what new LSAT materials should I purchase? I'm considering trying 7sage, and getting the Manhattan books. However, I took a blueprint course about a year ago, and am worried that switching to new LG materials could throw me off. I definitely would like new LR and RC trainers though, because I wasn't wild about BP's methods.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Gap year, and reapplying, need advice

Post by Rigo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:27 pm

First off, you made a wise decision to retake and sit out the cycle.
JayCutlerYoloSwag wrote: Will next cycle be as favorable as this one, or will applicants rise?
Nobody can predict the future, but I doubt anybody is predicting a significant rise. Maybe we'll finally hit bottom this year and next year will level off and be the same. Or maybe apps will drop again and next cycle will be more favorable. We won't really know until June, Ocotober, December # of administrations data is published.
JayCutlerYoloSwag wrote:Will schools that I reapply to next cycle look at my unfavorably? Particularly those I was already accepted into this cycle with 1/2-3/4 tuition? I'm sure schools I was rejected from will understand, but I'm more worried that schools who gave me offers will withhold them the next cycle, especially if my LSAT does not improve too much.
I wouldn't worry about this. People who have reapplied have consistently been re-accepted places. Law schools know the game and that you want to put yourself in the best position possible.
JayCutlerYoloSwag wrote:Do I need all new LOR's (2 were from professors, 1 from an attorney) and a new Personal Statement, or can I tweak the one I already wrote?
I would definitely write a new PS or at least meaningfully edit it. Check with the individual schools on needing new LOR's but my guess is that they won't require new ones (only a couple elite schools do).
JayCutlerYoloSwag wrote:Finally, what new LSAT materials should I purchase? I'm considering trying 7sage, and getting the Manhattan books. However, I took a blueprint course about a year ago, and am worried that switching to new LG materials could throw me off. I definitely would like new LR and RC trainers though, because I wasn't wild about BP's methods.
My Study Material Recommendations:
Dirigo wrote:For Starting Out (Covering All Sections)
The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim ( http://www.thelsattrainer.com/ )
For Logic Games
The Powerscore LSAT Logic Games Bible
7Sage Online LSAT Prep
For Logical Reasoning
Manhattan Logical Reasoning Strategy Guide
For Reading Comprehension
Manhattan Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide
Materials For Drilling
Cambridge LSAT Bundles
Blueprint seems to not have helped you much on your last go so learning new methods may very well be a positive thing. Good luck!

JayCutlerYoloSwag

New

Post by JayCutlerYoloSwag » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:58 pm

Dirigo wrote:First off, you made a wise decision to retake and sit out the cycle.
Thanks, it was honestly a really hard choice, especially when schollys were coming in from t2 schools. I think so many people my age just want to hurry to the next chapter, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't being impatient and selling myself short. Especially considering I prepped for the LSAT while still in school and could have studied a lot harder.

Also the Cambridge and the LSAT trainer where the ones I was thinking of, but couldn't remeber. Thanks! Do you think if I buy the Cambridge LSAT bundles I will still need to purchase all of the LSAT prep tests? I'd like to complete as many timed tests as possible my last two months of prep.
Last edited by JayCutlerYoloSwag on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:02 pm

JayCutlerYoloSwag wrote: Also the Cambridge and the LSAT trainer where the ones I was thinking of, but couldn't remeber. Thanks! Do you think if I buy the Cambridge LSAT bundles I will still need to purchase all of the LSAT prep tests? I'd like to complete as many timed tests as possible my last two months of prep.
The bundle I got broke down PT1-40 by question type. It's great for drilling. PT41+ were included in their entirety. 30ish PT's is more than enough in my experience and the earlier PT's broken apart for drilling is invaluable.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:34 am

Fellow Midwest native here, went through exactly what you're going through. I planned on going straight out of undergrad and ended up taking 2 years off so I could retake. I reapplied to several schools and got into all of them with more money.

Schools aren't going to care that you're reapplying, even the ones that previously accepted you. I included a "Previous Acceptance" addendum for these schools and basically said that with the cost of going to law school, I knew that retaking could help make that school more affordable. Especially if you only applied to a few schools this cycle, say something along the lines of "X university was one of the few schools I applied to last year, and for the same reasons I was drawn to the school then, I want to go there now. Additionally, the work and life experience I gained in the meantime will better help me contribute to the school..."

I used the same exact LOR's and only moderately tweaked my PS to add a few things about my work experience. Especially if you increase your LSAT, schools aren't going to care.

Use the noodleyone's guide. It is pure gold for a retaker. I jumped 7+ from my highest retake using it.

Best of luck, fellow Midwesterner!

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:01 pm

There is a real possibility schools will frown upon the fact you already turned them down, especially if they offered you a generous scholarship. The thing is, you're not shooting for those schools. If their scholarship wasn't good enough for you this year, don't settle for it next year. I think you're making the right decision. Study up and score higher.

I can't predict what will happen with applicant numbers. There was a slight increase in December takers this year so it's possible the applications won't be dropping very much next year, if at all. Just knock out the LSAT. That's the one thing you can control.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”