Pass/Fail Honors Courses with Narrative Evaluations

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thebestwes

Pass/Fail Honors Courses with Narrative Evaluations

Postby thebestwes » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:16 pm

So I was wondering if anyone had experience with or knowledge of how law schools handle these. I go to a state honors college that gives narrative evaluations instead of grades, so I have no college GPA. No, it's not some sketchy for-profit deal; it's a public university, and one of our alums from the '70s teaches law at UPenn (and has a degree from Harvard Law) and another is the president of the New York Federal Reserve. It's a real school. That said, we don't really get a lot of graduates that have gone into law as of late, and the few that have have not gone on to T14 as far as I'm aware. I've contacted several law schools, and their response was generally fairly positive, although I'll have to include some or all of my evaluations (depending on the school) with my application. Does anybody have any idea how these tend to be viewed/interpreted by law schools? I know non-law peers of mine who were told by their grad schools to just write in a 4.0 GPA, but I have a sneaking suspicion that a T1 law school (or basically any law school ever, for that matter) is going to be just a liiiiittle bit more stringent than that.

fats provolone

Re: Pass/Fail Honors Courses with Narrative Evaluations

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:56 pm

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:56 pm

seriously though just send it to lsac and see what they do with it. my guess is you won't get a numerical gpa, which means you'll be kinda like an international student for admissions purposes.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:09 pm

Sweet man. They probably just won't give you a GPA so if you're above the LSAT median, you're probably in. This shit's just a numbers game.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:12 pm

With other schools that do narrative evaluations, the institutional GPA is 0.0 on the Academic Summary Report with nothing listed at all for Degree GPA or Cumulative GPA.

thebestwes

Postby thebestwes » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Haha, we get a lot of jokes about being a hippy school (oh, the stories I could tell), but that is actually the first time I've seen an Arrested Development one. Nice.

Dirigo, do you know if a 0.0 Institutional GPA is bad or merely neutral, and what other factors could maybe make it bad or neutral? Sorry if this is a vague question, but it's kind of stressful not knowing where I stand.

EDIT: I should add that I'm graduating this spring and taking a gap year so that I can devote all my time to the LSAT for a few months, so this is not a last minute panic attack.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:10 pm

thebestwes wrote:Dirigo, do you know if a 0.0 Institutional GPA is bad or merely neutral, and what other factors could maybe make it bad or neutral? Sorry if this is a vague question, but it's kind of stressful not knowing where I stand.

Schools care about your cumulative GPA so it's neutral. I've heard adcoms just assume median. It really makes the LSAT extra important because it's the only quantitative factor schools will see.

thebestwes

Postby thebestwes » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:19 pm

Well then I guess it's good that I decided to take a gap year, then. Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”