Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BNA

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby BNA » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:45 am

Speculation here, but it's the only thing I could come up with to explain an acceptance to a school I shouldn't have had a chance at (Below both 25%). Visited before the application cycle in August before things got crazy in the admission office. Wound up bullshitting with the dean for about 20 minutes, then the dean of admissions for another 20. Vet, but no outstanding softs, so tell me that visit didn't have something to do with it.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:56 am

NoBladesNoBows wrote:And now for the opinion of someone who is speaking from experience rather than unfounded speculation:

Question: (Guy is gonna be in Austin, asks if he should visit UT)
Mike (Spivey): I am a big fan of reaching out to every office of admissions to, in rank order, (1) visit, (2) call, or (3) email. Not every school has an open door policy to visit the admissions folks but most do, and any connection you can establish helps. At times, it can make all the difference in the world (particularly when on the WL). So I would definitely go for it.

Question: If you're wait-listed, does it help to visit the school even if admissions says it won't see students in their wait list letters?
Mike: It certainly does not hurt and can likely help, yes. I mean, don't force yourself into an admissions person's office but I would ask to simply introduce yourself to someone, if possible.

Source: http://spiveyconsulting.com/blog/103-pa ... ns-advice/

Now whether it's worth making a trip for, as opposed to worth stopping by if you're in the area, is a question of how much time and money you have and are willing to sacrifice.

Take all of the "admissions advice" given by people on this forum with a grain of salt, and keep in mind that most of it is coming from a bunch of law school applicants or even current students that know at best slightly more about the process than you (most substantial knowledge of which probably comes from reading topics such as the above link). It's generally a much better idea to try to find a source that has firsthand experience.

TL;DR: Spivey says yes, look up questions like this for yourself rather than asking people (on this forum) that don't know.

I've met Spivey, and he's a great guy. But in all fairness, since one of the things Spivey does is law school admissions consulting, Spivey does have an incentive to tell 0L's that their law school application is so much more than GPA + LSAT.

That being said, if you are a friendly outgoing person, I think visiting a law school would help your chances (although it might be a 1%-2% bump) of getting off of the waitlist. It might even help you get on the WL before a WL determination. But the bump will be secondary to a slew of other more important factors than, "He obviously wants to come to this law school and he seems like a nice guy."

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:07 am

BNA wrote:Speculation here, but it's the only thing I could come up with to explain an acceptance to a school I shouldn't have had a chance at (Below both 25%). Visited before the application cycle in August before things got crazy in the admission office. Wound up bullshitting with the dean for about 20 minutes, then the dean of admissions for another 20. Vet, but no outstanding softs, so tell me that visit didn't have something to do with it.

Vet is what got you in

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:17 am

Had a friend who worked in admissions for awhile, and he said that school visits/tours are noted in your application file, as a tiny distinguisher. That way, if its an "all else equal" situation, it would work in your favor. But in itself, it counts for very little. Though she said it is good from the perspective of developing a good "why school X" statement since you can speak to your experiences from your visit, and provide more personalized reasons.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legallybrunette93

Postby legallybrunette93 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:54 pm

I visited a school that I think I was probably borderline at, I wouldn't have been surprised if I had gotten waitlisted, and a couple hours after the visit I emailed the admissions office and told them how much I liked the school and referenced specific things about the school, and an hour later I got the call that I was in, so I definitely think it can help

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”