Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mrb520
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby mrb520 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:49 pm

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this forum has been done or in the wrong spot.

I was wondering if visiting campus and meeting with admissions officers helps admission chances? I know they publicly say it does not on Columbia and NYU sites. However, I'd really like to be in NYC for law school and am trying to boost my chances in any way possible.

167, 3.7, LGBT student here. Two recommendations from lawyers, both of which I work for as their teacher's assistant

User avatar
MarkfromWI
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby MarkfromWI » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:55 pm

No. LSAT + UGPA = >95% of admissions decisions and whatever else is considered (if anything) are softs that really only act as tiebreakers. Visits to campus aren't even factored in to that equation though. No adcomm is going to be like, "hey let's let this dude in off the waitlist because he came to visit and seemed really swell."
Last edited by MarkfromWI on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Louis1127
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby Louis1127 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:57 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:No. LSAT + UGPA = >95% of admissions decision.

He's asking if it helps admission chances.

User avatar
MarkfromWI
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby MarkfromWI » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:00 pm

Louis1127 wrote:
MarkfromWI wrote:No. LSAT + UGPA = >95% of admissions decision.

He's asking if it helps admission chances.


Yea, I get that. I'm not sure how my original post wasn't responsive to that question though...

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby ilikebaseball » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:01 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:
MarkfromWI wrote:No. LSAT + UGPA = >95% of admissions decision.

He's asking if it helps admission chances.


Yea, I get that. I'm not sure how my original post wasn't responsive to that question though...

you edited it. I think OP wants to know if visiting, even if it helps by 1% (using your logic) would help his case

User avatar
MarkfromWI
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby MarkfromWI » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:02 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
MarkfromWI wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:
MarkfromWI wrote:No. LSAT + UGPA = >95% of admissions decision.

He's asking if it helps admission chances.


Yea, I get that. I'm not sure how my original post wasn't responsive to that question though...

you edited it. I think OP wants to know if visiting, even if it helps by 1% (using your logic) would help his case


Yes, I did edit for clarity. By leaving 5% floating around I can see why my statement could be a bit unclear. I guess I was just more focused on the "No." that started my post

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby ilikebaseball » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:04 pm

But you're wrong. Visiting and meeting adcoms CAN help boost his chances. They could hurt them as well

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby 90convoy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:07 pm

MarkfromWI wrote:No. LSAT + UGPA = >95% of admissions decisions and whatever else is considered (if anything) are softs that really only act as tiebreakers. Visits to campus aren't even factored in to that equation though. No adcomm is going to be like, "hey let's let this dude in off the waitlist because he came to visit and seemed really swell."


Actually, depending on why one was wait listed, this is to an extent exactly what could happen. Unlikely tho

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:10 pm

for 99% of tlsers i imagine visiting is more likely to hurt your chances

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby ilikebaseball » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:11 pm

i mean, if you talk to adcoms and seem personable and seem like a guy who could rock the shit out of an employment interview, it'll definitely help IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY SPEAKING TO ADCOMS.

On the other side, if you're awkward and antisocial, it could possibly hurt.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11954
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:30 pm

fats provolone wrote:for 99% of tlsers i imagine visiting is more likely to hurt your chances

Yeah, just be sure to shave your neck and breathe through your nose.
It could marginally help with a LOCI should you be waitlisted, but it's not worth the travel/hotel expenses if you don't live in the NYC metro.

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2847
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby haus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:44 pm

OP,

Why not ask peop,e who actually worked in admissions. There are a few such threads, but it appears the most active is the Spivey thread.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=197451

User avatar
Louis1127
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby Louis1127 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:51 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:
MarkfromWI wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:
MarkfromWI wrote:No. LSAT + UGPA = >95% of admissions decision.

He's asking if it helps admission chances.


Yea, I get that. I'm not sure how my original post wasn't responsive to that question though...

you edited it. I think OP wants to know if visiting, even if it helps by 1% (using your logic) would help his case

real sly bro

User avatar
cc78
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby cc78 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:24 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:But you're wrong. Visiting and meeting adcoms CAN help boost his chances. They could hurt them as well


Definitely try to keep this in mind...if you're going to be remembered, make sure it's for something good.

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby fats provolone » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:28 pm

I think it worked for this guy. op are you urm?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144324#p3853172

User avatar
Ron Don Volante
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby Ron Don Volante » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:30 pm

If you're gonna try to pull a move like this, the time to do it is in scholarship negotiations, not in admissions.

If you have to resort to this to be admitted, it's not going to be a good either way, as you're probably borderline and thus not going to get money.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:02 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:If you're gonna try to pull a move like this, the time to do it is in scholarship negotiations, not in admissions.

If you have to resort to this to be admitted, it's not going to be a good either way, as you're probably borderline and thus not going to get money.


This is good advice

User avatar
gamerish
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Post removed...

Postby gamerish » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:09 am

Post removed...
Last edited by gamerish on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
eriedoctrine
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 1:00 am

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby eriedoctrine » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:09 am

^

Yes, if you're above their numbers and would be otherwise yield protected.
In your case however, will probably not do much, if anything.

User avatar
schmelling
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am

Post removed.

Postby schmelling » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:42 am

Post removed.
Last edited by schmelling on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gatesome
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby gatesome » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:26 am

almost always, the people reading your application have no clue you ever visited, and they don't really care

User avatar
pcph
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 8:08 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby pcph » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:10 pm

.
Last edited by pcph on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smiles123
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:23 am

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby smiles123 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:30 pm

Before you apply it may help, but only because you can write a good why X. At this point I would guess it doesn't help unless YP

User avatar
haus
Posts: 2847
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:07 am

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby haus » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:53 pm

smiles123 wrote:Before you apply it may help, but only because you can write a good why X. At this point I would guess it doesn't help unless YP

Oddly, the only school which I may have been rejected due to YP, had sent me the ding message a few hours before I was scheduled to arrive for a visit.

User avatar
NoBladesNoBows
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: Does Visiting Boost Acceptance Chance?

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:26 am

.
Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest