ED GULC Withdraw?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
towit

ED GULC Withdraw?

Postby towit » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:04 pm

168, 3.39 GPA
Applications complete 1/16
Applied: GULC, UCLA, USC, UC Hastings, Loyola-Los Angeles, Notre Dame, University of Washington, George Washington University, Boston University, Boston College

I am most interested in pursuing a career in biglaw, something I know may be significantly more difficult at some of the schools to which I have applied. Obviously, like many a lawyer, I am interested in maximizing my potential earnings over my career in consideration with the overhead of a legal education. After doing some research into GULC admissions and seeing the favorability towards splitters when applying ED, I decided that this would be the best option for me, all things being equal, to provide me with the best shot at landing a biglaw job after graduation. However, this past week my financial situation changed when my mom, a single parent, lost her job.

Though I am confident that my family will still be able to cover the cost of GULC (for which I am extremely grateful), I am concerned that such a choice would not garnish significantly greater employment opportunities in biglaw relative to the potential financial stresses that come with covering the sticker price of a premier law school without any scholarships, especially in light of my mom's unemployment despite the fact that it is very likely that she is hired within the next few months at a comparable salary.

I haven't heard back any decisions yet. I know my application will probably be hurt by the fact that it is this late in the cycle, particularly for scholarships. However--and please tell me if I'm wrong here--I think that there is a good chance that I may still receive significant scholarships from some of the schools I applied to, scholarships that I wouldn't have a chance to consider if I were accepted at GULC via ED. Though my numbers are less than stellar, I do believe that my life experiences as communicated through my personal statement will make me a reasonably competitive applicant. So, now that that's all out of the way, here's the big question:

Should I withdraw my ED application to Georgetown? Or perhaps, if you were in my shoes, would you withdraw your application?

I realize that without substantial information about my finances and potential scholarship offers this might just be an exercise in speculation or perhaps moral instinct, but humor me. Thanks.

runinthefront

Re: ED GULC Withdraw?

Postby runinthefront » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:06 pm

Withdraw your ED and ask for it to be changed to a RD application due to a change in finances. With your numbers, you don't need to ED GULC.
ETA: I read your GPA as "3.9" not "3.39"

heyarnold

Postby heyarnold » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:07 pm

I'm pretty sure you'd get into Gtown anyways.. based on mylsn info from this cycle. If you can somehow write a letter in as formal and sincere way to explain your situation, it might go a long way as to prevent them from being annoyed with you that you're withdrawing (edit** from ED).
Last edited by heyarnold on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:14 pm

Send an e-mail to Georgetown admissions IMMEDIATELY requesting to switch your ED application to a RD application. Time is really of the essence so do it tonight.
Request confirmation of the switch too for your records. Admissions offices sometimes have a funny way of misplacing e-mails like this.

mickey_mouse

Postby mickey_mouse » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:10 pm

According to MyLSN, you've got a decent shot at UCLA, which is, ranking-wise, the second best school on this list. You're gonna get scholarships from most of the others. the others are all very regional though, so you might want to think for a couple minutes about where you want to practice law.

Also-- why no Vandy? And MyLSN even says you've got a 50/50 shot at Cornell (not sure how applying in late Jan affects these odds).

pamphleteer

Postby pamphleteer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:26 pm

Cornell >>> GULC for biglaw. You're likely in there, though probably not with a lot of money. I'd swap GULC to RD and send Cornell an app in your position.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:40 pm

pamphleteer wrote:Cornell >>> GULC for biglaw. You're likely in there, though probably not with a lot of money. I'd swap GULC to RD and send Cornell an app in your position.

Definitely the right idea, but I wouldn't say that OP is likely in at Cornell.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:47 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
pamphleteer wrote:Cornell >>> GULC for biglaw. You're likely in there, though probably not with a lot of money. I'd swap GULC to RD and send Cornell an app in your position.

Definitely the right idea, but I wouldn't say that OP is likely in at Cornell.

Not a slam dunk, but I wouldn't bet against an above median LSAT this cycle.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:54 pm

You have a single mom who can cover sticker
at GULC? Literally how

Retake and get money at NW/Cornell

towit

Postby towit » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:You have a single mom who can cover sticker
at GULC? Literally how

Retake and get money at NW/Cornell

Perhaps she has a career in law? Or, maybe I made a deal with a loan shark? I can't recall.

While I can more than understand the reasons to suggest a retake, let's rule that out as a blanket answer. Gaming this application cycle is what's most important right now for me. A decision to pursue a retake and apply next cycle is certainly compatible with seeing short-term strategies through, short of ED to GULC I suppose (which really I could still turn down ultimately). So, let's look a little more immediate than that.

That being said, I'll keep it in mind throughout this process.

After consideration of the advice here and some thought, I have requested to switch to regular decision citing changes in finances. I will also be completing an application to Cornell, though I see it more as a shot in the dark and was deterred in that they did not offer me a fee waiver (does this mean anything as far as my chances?).

Any additional advice is still more than welcomed pertaining to my school selection and my career interests. Just to provide more information to those interested in assisting me further:

I prefer living in California, but am adaptable. My career goals outweigh my geographic preferences entirely. I understand that some of the schools to which I have applied are more regional, however I have chosen these schools with employment short of biglaw and scholarships as the most likely outcome (with which I am satisfied). However, as I have said, I am most interested in biglaw and that seems to be the biggest difficulty in gaming my application and numbers at the moment. Advice that speaks to this with all previous information considered will be most helpful. Cheers.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:58 pm

towit wrote:After consideration of the advice here and some thought, I have requested to switch to regular decision citing changes in finances. I will also be completing an application to Cornell, though I see it more as a shot in the dark and was deterred in that they did not offer me a fee waiver (does this mean anything as far as my chances?).

No. Fee waivers indicate nothing.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 pm

towit wrote:I prefer living in California, but am adaptable. My career goals outweigh my geographic preferences entirely.

Why Hastings but not Davis and Irvine?
You have a rather odd list given your geographic preferences.

Send an app to Northwestern and Michigan in addition to Cornell and Georgetown. They may be super desperate to hold their 168 medians. Spivey has predicted T14 median drops this cycle so don't sell yourself short based on last cycle's data. High scoring apps are WAY DOWN this cycle, and someone with your numbers may do shockingly well.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”