Lowest Ranked School Worth Considering

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawjag2015

Re: Lowest Ranked School Worth Considering

Postby lawjag2015 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:34 pm

sublime wrote:
lawjag2015 wrote:How about placement in biglaw in DC?

Harder than NYC.

For whatever its worth, I know people from these schools in DC biglaw.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:38 pm

lawjag2015 wrote:
sublime wrote:

Harder than NYC.

Joe Biden went to Syracuse. I still wouldn't recommend it.

lawjag2015

Postby lawjag2015 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Dirigo wrote:
lawjag2015 wrote:
sublime wrote:

Harder than NYC.

Joe Biden went to Syracuse. I still wouldn't recommend it.

So its pretty rare. Understood!

KD35

Postby KD35 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:06 pm

sublime wrote:

Harder than NYC.

Really? Is that because the firms have higher requirements or there are just fewer spots?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Again, pull up a V100 in DC. Their firm websites are easy to search. Also pull up the LST data for each school. Your odds are exceptionally small.

Don't go off of random one off anecdotes. Use statistics and data. Some people win the lottery, doesn't mean it's a good investment.

Frankly, the fact that you're asking these questions indicates you haven't done enough homework. Law school is a massive investment of time and money. You should thoroughly research and understand what you're getting into.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:19 pm

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:22 pm

KD35 wrote:
sublime wrote:

Harder than NYC.

Really? Is that because the firms have higher requirements or there are just fewer spots?

Firms have higher requirements because there are fewer spots. High demand and unlike many other markets offices in DC tend to look for top grades over ties. It also seems that people with elite grades shoot for DC-type jobs, like appellate lit and DOJ Honors.

Regarding NYC, the firm I summered at had about 70 out of 80 summers from the T-14, with just about everyone else being from a school in NYC/NJ. There's no reason for these places to go elsewhere. In addition to doing what romo said, also go to nalpdirectory.com and see which firms come to your prospective school's on-campus interviews. If a large firm doesn't come to you, it's very difficult to get a job there.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:36 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
KD35 wrote:
sublime wrote:

Harder than NYC.

Firms have higher requirements because there are fewer spots. High demand and unlike many other markets offices in DC tend to look for top grades over ties. It also seems that people with elite grades shoot for DC-type jobs, like appellate lit and DOJ Honors.

Regarding NYC, the firm I summered at had about 70 out of 80 summers from the T-14, with just about everyone else being from a school in NYC/NJ. There's no reason for these places to go elsewhere. In addition to doing what romo said, also go to nalpdirectory.com and see which firms come to your prospective school's on-campus interviews. If a large firm doesn't come to you, it's very difficult to get a job there.

I guess I'm just surprised because I received more interest at OCI/through mass mail from DC firms than NY firms. And my school isn't in or near either of those markets.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:57 pm

As has been said, DC isn't a particularly ties-sensitive market. But it is probably the most grade-sensitive.

starry eyed

Postby starry eyed » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:46 pm

If smaller firms are ok with you, any regional for cheap is a decent choice. Personally if I wanted big law or bust, Fordham (at a discount) would be the lowest ranked school
I would consider.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:50 pm

lawjag2015 wrote:
sublime wrote:

Harder than NYC.

Well that settles it! Thanks for answering your own Q OP

bugsy33

Postby bugsy33 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:47 pm

#93 South Carolina.

Next question

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Cornell

If you want biglaw

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:03 am

Outside of the T14, there are a handful of schools that give you a decent opportunity to get Biglaw. At a discount and if the school is located where you want to practice, these schools could be good choices. UT/UCLA/Vandy, Wash U and USC, maybe BU/BC and Notre Dame.

But honestly any good regional in a region where you wan to practice, at a big discount, is a good option.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:17 am

Guys, who was better: Jesus or Buddha? I mean, in terms of not letting themselves get crucified

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:38 am

bjsesq wrote:Guys, who was better: Jesus or Buddha? I mean, in terms of not letting themselves get crucified

Everyone is the Buddha, so de facto he has been crucified thousands of times.
Also, "kill the Buddha."

Dog

Postby Dog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:03 pm

For me it's Cooley, assuming I could get some scholarship money. No, I'm not trolling. I am from Michigan and have friends and a few connections in the area. I probably would not get a great job, but I think I could get something. After doing that for a few years I'd try to hang my own shingle and do some type of personal injury work or something.

It wouldn't be glamorous, but I think I could end up making decent money and there's an allure to being my own boss.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:19 pm

Something that tends to be discounted is that the economy hasn't had as big of an impact on TTT's as other schools. The job rates were terrible back in 2006.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:19 pm

Dog wrote:For me it's Cooley, assuming I could get some scholarship money. No, I'm not trolling. I am from Michigan and have friends and a few connections in the area. I probably would not get a great job, but I think I could get something. After doing that for a few years I'd try to hang my own shingle and do some type of personal injury work or something.

It wouldn't be glamorous, but I think I could end up making decent money and there's an allure to being my own boss.

You better clench tight for what's about to come.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:32 pm

Dog wrote:For me it's Cooley, assuming I could get some scholarship money. No, I'm not trolling. I am from Michigan and have friends and a few connections in the area. I probably would not get a great job, but I think I could get something. After doing that for a few years I'd try to hang my own shingle and do some type of personal injury work or something.

Lol

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:36 pm

As crazy as this guy's post sounds - this is what I see when people with great gpas and real skills want to go T14 at sticker or even $150k in debt and biglaw.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:39 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:

As crazy as this guy's post sounds - this is what I see when people with great gpas and real skills want to go T14 at sticker or even $150k in debt and biglaw.

Everything else requires working though. Law school guarantees three more easy years.

Dog

Postby Dog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:44 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:

You better clench tight for what's about to come.

I'm going to a t14 with $$$. I wasn't saying Cooley is a good idea for most people that end up going there, I was simply stating if I had no other options it is the lowest ranked school I would consider.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:

Everything else requires working though. Law school guarantees three more easy years.

Well if you're about the kush why not govt job? I get the 3 year vacay sentiment but its offset by biglaw. people don't do shit in corporate jobs and make 100k.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Loads of people go biglaw so they can lateral biggov. It's seen as a path of less resistance.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”