Waitlisted: Should I leverage acceptances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LamBam89

New

Waitlisted: Should I leverage acceptances?

Post by LamBam89 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Hello TLS! Big Fan of these Forums. Thanks for all your help.

I have recently been accepted to my number two school with a big scholar ship and I have been waitlisted by my number one.

When I write a letter of continued interest for my number one school, should I mention that I have been accepted by my number two? Should I mention the scholarship? If I brought it up, how might I do so appropriately?

Thanks again for you help! 8)

LamBam89

New

Re: Waitlisted: Should I leverage acceptances?

Post by LamBam89 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:27 pm

bumpin this. Thanks for reading.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:16 pm

Don't know why you would. They want to know that you would attend if pulled off the waitlist. This could make them think you will just go to the other school unless they offer a big scholly or something.

Mixednuts

New

Post by Mixednuts » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:49 pm

I think if you write something along the lines of "I have been accepted to school X with a $$$ scholarship, but your school is my top choice, and if admitted, I will 100% accept and not go to school X" adding a few reasons why you would do something like that, it may help a bit. But again, you should ask yourself whether you would you go to school 1 with $0 vs school 2 with $$$.

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:58 pm

You're waitlisted, you don't have leverage. If a school wants you and you tell them you have a better offer, that's leverage. Write a letter of continued interest if you want, but I don't see the point of telling them your other offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:17 pm

No. Don't do that. A lot of waitlist movement is about protecting yields, and mentioning other schools and better aid packages doesn't instill confidence that you would attend if offered a seat.

LamBam89

New

Post by LamBam89 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Thanks for all the responses, after reviewing the advice I received, I have elected not to mention school number two in my letter of continued interest to school number one.

I want my first choice to be confident that if they offer me admission, I will accept it.

Thank you again!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”