Interviews? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Asking for an interview okay?

Yes
8%
No
77%
Depends
15%

Total votes: 13

tortsandtiaras

Bronze

Interviews?

Post by tortsandtiaras » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:05 pm

Hello TLS!

I wanted to know what the consensus is for the following:

Is it okay to ASK (in an e-mail) a school for an interview, be it informational or whatever, if that school does not typically do interviews?

Thanks,
Rose

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Re: Interviews?

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:11 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tortsandtiaras

Bronze

Post by tortsandtiaras » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:13 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:
legallyrose wrote:Hello TLS!

Is it okay to ASK (in an e-mail) a school for an interview, be it informational or whatever, if that school does not typically do interviews?

Thanks,
Rose
I think it depends on what you mean by informational interview-- if you are visiting the school and have legitimate questions, definitely ask for a meeting with an admissions rep. But, it wouldn't impact your application, and I definitely wouldn't bring a resume or wear a suit or do anything interview-y.
My purpose was to ask for a phone call or Skype interview (not physically visit the school), and more of an actual interview to get to know the candidate rather than get to know the school.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:26 pm

legallyrose wrote:

Thanks,
Rose
I think it depends on what you mean by informational interview-- if you are visiting the school and have legitimate questions, definitely ask for a meeting with an admissions rep. But, it wouldn't impact your application, and I definitely wouldn't bring a resume or wear a suit or do anything interview-y.
My purpose was to ask for a phone call or Skype interview (not physically visit the school), and more of an actual interview to get to know the candidate rather than get to know the school.
Not sure why they would give you one.. Kinda seems like they don't offer interviews for a reason. Wouldn't do it.

tortsandtiaras

Bronze

Post by tortsandtiaras » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:29 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
legallyrose wrote:

Thanks,
Rose
Not sure why they would give you one.. Kinda seems like they don't offer interviews for a reason. Wouldn't do it.
Not sure either -- Just wanted to make sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:33 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:41 pm

Why would u do that

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:48 pm

I understand why you're asking - you want the school to have a chance to get to know you better and have a (hopefully) increased shot at getting in. Still, I wouldn't do it. If you're able to easily visit campus and meet with an admissions officer, then do that. It will show that you really are interested and invested your time/money to come.

tortsandtiaras

Bronze

Post by tortsandtiaras » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:50 pm

hillz wrote:I understand why you're asking - you want the school to have a chance to get to know you better and have a (hopefully) increased shot at getting in. Still, I wouldn't do it. If you're able to easily visit campus and meet with an admissions officer, then do that. It will show that you really are interested and invested your time/money to come.
I live in Miami...which is far far far away from any school I would consider lol.

Thanks for the input, though! I have decided to refrain from doing so. :oops:

I'm glad no one was a jerk about it. TLS :!:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:51 pm

legallyrose wrote:
hillz wrote:I understand why you're asking - you want the school to have a chance to get to know you better and have a (hopefully) increased shot at getting in. Still, I wouldn't do it. If you're able to easily visit campus and meet with an admissions officer, then do that. It will show that you really are interested and invested your time/money to come.
I live in Miami...which is far far far away from any school I would consider lol.

Thanks for the input, though! I have decided to refrain from doing so. :oops:

I'm glad no one was a jerk about it. TLS :!:
Could you write a Why X?

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Might be able to help more if you told us the school? Some schools eat a LOCI up, and others want as little documents as possible.

tortsandtiaras

Bronze

Post by tortsandtiaras » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:57 pm

Winston1984 wrote:Might be able to help more if you told us the school? Some schools eat a LOCI up, and others want as little documents as possible.
UNC / Alabama

Already sent one to WashU because the Dean told us we could request one at an event.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:59 pm

legallyrose wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:Might be able to help more if you told us the school? Some schools eat a LOCI up, and others want as little documents as possible.
UNC / Alabama

Already sent one to WashU because the Dean told us we could request one at an event.
PM'd.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”