huge dilemma, I'm pretty screwed

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jayashae

huge dilemma, I'm pretty screwed

Postby jayashae » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:31 pm

So I took my first LSAT a while back and got a 160, without much studying, what was I thinking. So since then I've been studying for the February exam and have been scoring in the 165-168 range but I did not register for the February exam in time. I'm really seriously freaking out about this because I definitely went through the process, maybe I missed a confirm button at the end or was distracted. Whatever the case it was completely my fault and I just went to double check tonight and I was not registered and the late deadline was this past Friday.

This seriously ruins everything for me, I had told my job I was planning on leaving this June (in health research) and everything pointed to me starting law school in the fall. Now everything is crashing and my only motivation is to use these next 5?!?! months to get as close to that 180 as I can to compensate for my pathetic ignorance.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and if you guys could spare the "you were ignorant" criticism I would really appreciate it right now. I would ask for some advise on what I should do with my extra year in terms making myself more attractive to law schools (I pretty much have all my apps ready and all recommendations submitted to LSAC).

I'm very disappointed in myself.
Last edited by jayashae on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Re: huge dilemma, I'm pretty screwed

Postby Clearly » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Bro, the Feb administration is too late for apps anyway, you got lucky! You get more time to study, and didn't put yourself in the terrible position of applying in March.

jayashae

Postby jayashae » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:42 pm

thanks, I think that might be a blessing in disguise, this app cycle is really late already. I didn't make the switch over to wanting to pursue a career in law till less than half a year ago, so this entire process has been very new to me. I guess it's better that I have this extended time to study, and apply really early next cycle.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:00 pm

You have 5 extra months to study for the LSAT and a year to do whatever you want. Sounds like great news. Go teach English in Japan.

Sirius Blackstone

Postby Sirius Blackstone » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:06 pm

Agree with these other posters that you should wait and apply in the next cycle, but if it's really bothering you try calling LSAT and seeing if you can register late. I did that when I took it and they let me sign up on the phone, although I called only 2 days after the deadline.

jayashae

Postby jayashae » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:06 pm

do you guys have any job suggestions? As nice much as teaching English in Japan sounds, I need to consider something more realistic for me, personally. I have a few months to decide, I can either ask my current boss to extend my position for another year (which I think he would happily do), or I can look for maybe a more law-relevant position. Problem is, I have no experience in the area, I'm 24, and was pre-med in college and have worked in a cancer research laboratory for 2 years with 10 publications. I don't think this resume will help me land a low end job in a law office somewhere.

hairbear7

Postby hairbear7 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:11 pm

You don't need to work a legal related job before law school. If you enjoy your current job just try to keep working there, or find something else you'll enjoy!

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:43 pm

jayashae wrote:do you guys have any job suggestions? As nice much as teaching English in Japan sounds, I need to consider something more realistic for me, personally. I have a few months to decide, I can either ask my current boss to extend my position for another year (which I think he would happily do), or I can look for maybe a more law-relevant position. Problem is, I have no experience in the area, I'm 24, and was pre-med in college and have worked in a cancer research laboratory for 2 years with 10 publications. I don't think this resume will help me land a low end job in a law office somewhere.

You can probably land a paralegal job at a small firm. It'll give you a basic idea of what lawyers do each day.

foregetaboutdre

Postby foregetaboutdre » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:14 am

just to add on to this once you take the exam in june ,and presuming you score well, you can apply insanely early to schools. honestly in almost everything the early bird gets the worm. just make sure lsac has your letters of rec and transcripts. also, you can really narrow down your ideal school list.

ilikebaseball

Postby ilikebaseball » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:15 am

wait why is this a dilemma? You should be thanking your stars

ku546

Postby ku546 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:42 am

If I were you, I'd look for a nice paralegal role to put on your resume, rock your LSAT, network within your law firm, and begin writing/polishing a nice customized personal statements for all the schools you want to apply to. When September rolls around, you can apply on the first day and know that you maximized your chances of getting in. Also set some personal goals for the next year with the spare time you have - like hitting the gym hard or learning how to invest. Enjoy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”