Last Two Years GPA / Character(First Post)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sandrews

Last Two Years GPA / Character(First Post)

Postby sandrews » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:36 am

Hey guys,

First post on here. I've read the forum for a while now but after searching for an answer to my question and being unable to find it I thought I'd ask you. I'm sorry in advance if I missed someone else asking the same question...

So, I'll be frank. I'm 26 years old. When I first started my undergrad back in 2006 I had a bit of a drinking problem. My GPA for those first two years was roughly 2.1. My little drinking problem became full blown alcoholism and I dropped out of school. A few years ago (4) I went to rehab and December 13th was my 4th year clean. (Yay!) After about 2-3 years not in school I went back to CU Boulder. Since then I've gotten a 4.0 GPA to bring my GPA to roughly a 3.0. I haven't taken the LSAT yet but every practice test I've taken (timed properly, etc...) has put me at roughly a 168.

I know this is a lot of personal information, and I apologize for any indiscretion. I just thought you all would be able to give me some straight talk about all this.

Essentially my question is two fold:

1) Obviously there is a marked difference between my previous GPA and my current GPA. I know in some post I've read that Law Schools look at how you finish more than how you started. I appreciate that. But I would make an argument that there was a single cause for my poor initial GPA. I took a couple years off, got my mind right, and then went back and crushed it. How do you think law schools will interpret this? Should I be planning to apply to schools as if I had a GPA of 3.0 or should I aim higher?

2) Should I even disclose this much personal information or is it a boundary crossing?

Mack.Hambleton

Re: Last Two Years GPA / Character(First Post)

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:05 am

They only look at cumulative LSDAS GPS which includes all undergrad transcripts including community college in high school etc.

Idk maybe delete it later

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:36 am

They will read and entertain your explanation, and the upward trend, but ultimately they have to report your entire GPA, and ultimately it'll factor as a thumb on the scale at best. Apply with the impression that you will be treated as having whatever your LSDAS GPA is.

howsthecow

Postby howsthecow » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:24 pm

You're going to have to explain the gap in your education, but it shouldn't hurt you if you do it right. Keep it short, and don't make excuses. Let your transcript speak for itself. You won't get any advice on where to apply until you have a reportable LSAT score, but a 168 or higher should get you into some good programs if you can do that on test day. Congrats on being 4 years sober. Keep it up!

MarkfromWI

Postby MarkfromWI » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Clearly wrote:They will read and entertain your explanation, and the upward trend, but ultimately they have to report your entire GPA, and ultimately it'll factor as a thumb on the scale at best. Apply with the impression that you will be treated as having whatever your LSDAS GPA is.

This. Upward trend is nice and may be a tie-breaker between you and someone with similar stats, but because of the way the USNWR game is played, final LSDAS GPA is pretty much all that matters.

2) Should I even disclose this much personal information or is it a boundary crossing?

On here or in your apps to schools? To me, portrayed the right way, this seems like decent personal statement material, overcoming adversity and all that. Also, as someone above said, the gap in education is going to need some explanation. Congrats on 4 years though, that's great!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”