C&F Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
blacklungz

C&F Question

Postby blacklungz » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:03 am

REMOVED
Last edited by blacklungz on Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TakeYourSuccess

Re: C&F Question

Postby TakeYourSuccess » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:07 am

What does the application ask for? It's hard to answer without knowing the context.

blacklungz

Postby blacklungz » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:13 am

Some specifically ask about juvenile/sealed records. I'll probably disclose even though I'm hesitant and don't feel like I should (morally or legally).

Some just ask if I was ever arrested or charged, with no specifics about juvenile/adult.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:23 am

Disclose 100%

TakeYourSuccess

Postby TakeYourSuccess » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:24 am

If they ask specifically about sealed records, then disclose. Even though I don't like that they can ask you about it, you're better off disclosing than risking great damages later. Also, the fact that it was sealed gives the notion that it was very minor, too. Don't worry about it affecting your admissions process.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:38 am

I disagree, disclose even without specific mention of sealed records.

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:51 am

just follow the school's directions exactly
if they say to disclose, disclose
if it's truly ambiguous (i doubt it actually is) then err on the side of caution and disclose

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:59 am

i mean it's really not hard to figure out op

y
"Have you ever been convicted of, or pleaded guilty or no contest to, a felony or misdemeanor, or are there any criminal charges pending against you?"

no

s
"Have you ever been convicted of, or is any charge now pending against you for any crime other than a traffic violation?"

no

h
"Have you ever been convicted of, or pled guilty or no contest to, any felony or misdemeanor, other than:
-an arrest or other detention that did not result in a conviction, or in which a conviction was vacated;
-a first conviction for any of the following misdemeanors: drunkenness, simple assault, speeding, minor traffic violations, affray or disturbance of the peace; or
-any misdemeanor conviction that occurred more than five years before your application for admission, unless you were also sentenced to imprisonment, or were convicted of any additional offense within the five year period.
Note that you are not required to answer “yes” to this question, or provide an explanation, if the criminal adjudication or conviction has been expunged, sealed, annulled, pardoned, destroyed, erased, impounded, or otherwise ordered by a court to be kept confidential."

no

cls
"Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been cited, arrested, charged with, indicted, convicted or tried for, or pleaded guilty to, the commission of any felony or misdemeanor or the violation of any law, except minor parking violations, or been the subject of any juvenile delinquency or youthful offender proceeding? This should include matters that may have been expunged from the records or subject to a diversionary program."

yes

chi
"Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any crime or offense other than a minor traffic violation? This includes any charges, complaints or citations that were filed against you as a juvenile or as an adult, formal or informal, pending or closed, dismissed, expunged, sealed or subject to a diversionary program, and includes any charges, complaints or citations that you reasonably expect to be brought against you."

yes

n
"Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been charged with or convicted of any crime, or charged with or found to have committed any offense (whether or not defined as a crime), or are any such charges pending? This should include matters that have been expunged or dismissed."

yes

p
"Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been arrested, charged, cited, or convicted of a crime (including misdemeanors), or is any charge now pending against you? (This should include matters that have been expunged or subject to a diversionary program.)"

yes

etc etc

just use common sense

blacklungz

Postby blacklungz » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:05 am

What about Berkeley and Michigan?

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:10 am

"Have you ever been arrested for or convicted of any offense, excluding minor traffic and parking violations, or is any such charge now pending against you?"

were you ever arrested?
if no, don't disclose.

if yes, was it a minor traffic or parking violation?
if no, don't disclose.

if yes, disclose.

it's that simple

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:15 am

you added mich in an edit

"While answering the two questions below, when in doubt, err on the side of full disclosure."

"Have you ever been [...] charged with a criminal offense that was later dismissed as a result of a plea bargain or alternative sentencing arrangement? {...} Do not include minor traffic violations or civil infractions or citations for which jail time was not a potential penalty."

i'm assuming you got ACOD'ed or something, right
so the charge was dismissed b/c of an alternative sentencing arrangement

minor traffic violation or civil infraction or citation for which jail time was not a potential penalty?
if yes, don't disclose
if no, disclose

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”