Should I worry about finishing up a single "I" grade?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jwelsh

Should I worry about finishing up a single "I" grade?

Postby jwelsh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Just a quick, random question:

How bad does a single "E" in a post-undergrad course look?

I received my Bachelors in early 2013. During Summer 2014, I took a class at a local university (with the thought that it might be helpful for future grad school opportunities). During the course of that summer, my employment situation changed, which prevented me from being able to attend classes and ultimately needing to take an "I" grade. Now that I've created my LSAC profile and the CAS folks are doing their job getting transcripts, how bad would it be for me to let the "I" turn to an "E"? I'm working full-time and would prefer to use my evenings to focus on the LSAT (rather than taking a night class to complete the course). This grade would be the only grade on my transcript from the non-degree-granting university.

Thanks for the help.

LET'S GET IT

Re: Should I worry about finishing up a single "I" grade?

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:48 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought LSAC only cares about your GPA up until you finish your 1st bachelor degree. If so, the E won't even be a factor. Again, I could be wrong.

Secondly, even if that isn't right, having one I/E on your transcript isn't going to matter. You'll be fine. Your right, your time is much better spent on preparing for the LSAT then on taking night classes at a junior college.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:51 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought LSAC only cares about your GPA up until you finish your 1st bachelor degree. If so, the E won't even be a factor.

This. It won't impact your LSAC GPA at all. Don't sweat finishing for the sake of finishing, OP.

jwelsh

Postby jwelsh » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:53 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought LSAC only cares about your GPA up until you finish your 1st bachelor degree. If so, the E won't even be a factor. Again, I could be wrong.

That is my understanding as well. I don't believe the grade will affect my LSAC GPA at all, but I thought it might look "tacky" to have a transcript from a different university with only the I/E".

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:58 pm

jwelsh wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought LSAC only cares about your GPA up until you finish your 1st bachelor degree. If so, the E won't even be a factor. Again, I could be wrong.

That is my understanding as well. I don't believe the grade will affect my LSAC GPA at all, but I thought it might look "tacky" to have a transcript from a different university with only the I/E".

You academic plans changed and you seized alternate opportunities. No big deal. Write a short addendum when you apply and be done with it.

JFO1833

Postby JFO1833 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:03 pm

LSAC doesn't even summarize education after the bachelor's degree. They simply list the school and say "see trans".

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”