JD Unemployment Reaches New High (15%) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BruceWayne

Gold

Re: JD Unemployment Reaches New High (15%)

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:21 am

sparty99 wrote:If you are so desperate then why haven't you done the JAG program?! You said you thought about the military. Well, then go JAG.
When I see this kind of post it just really highlights how many people on here who discuss legal employment have almost no experience with legal hiring whatsoever. They have no idea how it works at all beyond what they think they know from reading USNWR. There should be some type of flag that demarcates a poster experience level when they post job related topics.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:35 am

BruceWayne wrote:
sparty99 wrote:If you are so desperate then why haven't you done the JAG program?! You said you thought about the military. Well, then go JAG.
When I see this kind of post it just really highlights how many people on here who discuss legal employment have almost no experience with legal hiring whatsoever. They have no idea how it works at all beyond what they think they know from reading USNWR. There should be some type of flag that demarcates a poster experience level when they post job related topics.
Right...Cause I no nothing about legal hiring. Right.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:08 pm

sparty99 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
this IS a little bit out of date, to be fair, but it was also the first thing that came up on google, soooo: https://lawyerist.com/33104/applying-to ... e-the-cut/

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:18 pm

sparty99 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Still, "just do JAG bro" is completely unhelpful.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:33 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Still, "just do JAG bro" is completely unhelpful.
I never said that. But if the dude is wasting hours upon his day on this site, does it hurt to apply? No. If he claims he already wants to go to the military, why wouldn't you apply to all four branches? Besides being deployed and/or living in the middle of nowhere, its a much better option than his depressing posts...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:00 pm

sparty99 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote: Still, "just do JAG bro" is completely unhelpful.
I never said that.
sparty99 wrote:If you are so desperate then why haven't you done the JAG program?!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:43 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
I never said that.
sparty99 wrote:If you are so desperate then why haven't you done the JAG program?!
I'm over it, actually.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:03 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:
sparty99 wrote:
I never said that.
I'm over it, actually.
Your inability to just admit that you didn't realize how JAG Direct Accessions works is dumb. It's not a big deal man. It's not something most people would know if they're not military/gunning for JAG. I don't know why you get your back up so easily.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:02 am

I know how it works. I applied as a law student, but did not continue after I was told that you get deployed. Then I thought about it post graduation again, but decided I was not desperate enough to live in the middle of nowhere. I am well aware that some of the units hire 5 to 12 people annually. But oh well. Still doesn't hurt to apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:13 am

I mean, if you didn't know that you get deployed until after you applied, I'm not convinced you knew much about it.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:16 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I mean, if you didn't know that you get deployed until after you applied, I'm not convinced you knew much about it.
Why don't you have several seats and not worry about my knowledge. Like I said, "I'm over it."

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:19 am

sparty99 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I mean, if you didn't know that you get deployed until after you applied, I'm not convinced you knew much about it.
Why don't you have several seats and not worry about my knowledge. Like I said, "I'm over it."

jepper

Bronze

Post by jepper » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:53 am

Sparty soo sensitive

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mpc347

Bronze

Post by mpc347 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:47 pm

So how isolated are HYS (+ maybe CCN) grads from this scary stuff?

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:53 pm

mpc347 wrote:So how isolated are HYS (+ maybe CCN) grads from this scary stuff?

Would like to know as well. Are the non autists safe?

Although I guess that's not really the thrust of this thread. Since JCougs is talking about the jd field as a whole and HYS is a tiny component of the throngs of people with jds

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:59 pm

The top is really strong right now. But if another recession hits...

The nice thing about OCI is it's only one year after you start school, but people sending their seat deposits in May of 2008 (DOW: 13,000) can tell you what that guarantees (March 2009 DOW: 6,500).

You're probably pretty safe but there will always be some risk.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:10 pm

Even in the boom times I don't see how this many law schools should be functioning. I get that federal debt is inflating the whole game but theres a huuuge mismatch. There's like 200 something aba approved schools and we're on here talking about only the top 30-40 having any kind of reliably good outcome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:36 pm

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Even in the boom times I don't see how this many law schools should be functioning. I get that federal debt is inflating the whole game but theres a huuuge mismatch. There's like 200 something aba approved schools and we're on here talking about only the top 30-40 having any kind of reliably good outcome.
In the best of times this thing was a total scam. It's been that way for decades.

The classes of 2015 and 2016 will pump out about as many grads as were typical for the classes in the 80's and 90's. Yet tons of people from the classes of 2015 and 2016 will not graduate with a job. It was obviously much cheaper back in the day but the job situation was not better.

Saddle Up

Bronze

Post by Saddle Up » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:12 am

Aside from HYSCCNP the new 2014 employment stats clearly show that a third of grads are not employed. 15% unemployed leads to the question of …. how is 85% employed even possible?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:18 am

Saddle Up wrote:Aside from HYSCCNP the new 2014 employment stats clearly show that a third of grads are not employed. 15% unemployed leads to the question of …. how is 85% employed even possible?
It's 15% of JD's. At graduation it's more like 50% of new graduates.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:24 am

Plus all these Schools' numbers look pretty low for complete unemployment. 15% is also really high to be doing nothing and no job taking a risk to hire you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:56 am

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Even in the boom times I don't see how this many law schools should be functioning. I get that federal debt is inflating the whole game but theres a huuuge mismatch. There's like 200 something aba approved schools and we're on here talking about only the top 30-40 having any kind of reliably good outcome.
The mismatch existed but was unknown. Schools advertised employment rates of 90-95%+, and nobody called them on it. They can't really do that anymore, although some try.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:21 am

Do you think we will see schools shut down/ more mergers? This info has been out for several years now but the scam goes on.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:39 am

Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Do you think we will see schools shut down/ more mergers? This info has been out for several years now but the scam goes on.
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/11/04/ ... e-support/

Check out this NY Times article about Thomas Jefferson. It gives you an idea of why it's so hard for law schools to close, even when they are floundering.

Mozart Lacrimosa

Bronze

Post by Mozart Lacrimosa » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:47 am

Moneytrees wrote:
Mozart Lacrimosa wrote:Do you think we will see schools shut down/ more mergers? This info has been out for several years now but the scam goes on.
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/11/04/ ... e-support/

Check out this NY Times article about Thomas Jefferson. It gives you an idea of why it's so hard for law schools to close, even when they are floundering.
Good read. Even with the creditors taking a big haircut though, that restructuring should be a scarlet letter on the law school. But if the federal government loans it they will come regardless. Disgusting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”