Law School Financial Aid/Admission

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bryceejohnson60542

Law School Financial Aid/Admission

Postby bryceejohnson60542 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:11 pm

I have a few questions that I was wondering if anyone had any idea on.

My LSAT score was 163
GPA 3.94

First, I was wondering when I should expect hearing a decision about my admission to Duke. I applied back in September and have not heard anything back from this school yet. I know its a long shot getting in but was just wondering.

Second, I was wondering if anybody had a clue when I should expect to know if I got any scholarships for Wake Forest, Georgia, Arizona and Arizona State.

I have already heard from a number of big ten schools on scholarship information but have not heard anything from these four schools.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

JFO1833

Re: Law School Financial Aid/Admission

Postby JFO1833 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:21 pm

I'd take a look at lawschoolnumbers.com. For each school you can see when people applied and when they heard back, both for this year and last.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:37 pm

I have no idea on your Duke question. Sorry.
As for the four schools and scholarships, I expect you'll get pretty significant money at Wake, UA, and ASU. You're at the current median for Georgia, but schools in that tier will probably struggle to hold this year so they may be very generous to someone with a 163 and such a high GPA.

Just a bit of a warning: be very careful matriculating to a regional school in a region where you don't have ties and can't see yourself practicing in small law firms there (realistic median outcome).

If you're concerned about money and are geographically open-minded, send an app to Illinois (UIUC). You're very likely going to get a full-ride there as they appear to be buying a higher median again this cycle.
Good luck!

bryceejohnson60542

Postby bryceejohnson60542 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:48 pm

Thanks! I just looked up these schools standard 509 reports and it seems that they do not give out many full tuition scholarships.

I actually did apply to UIUC and was able to get a full tuition scholarship. I also got one to Iowa, Indiana-Bloomington, Penn State and Michigan State so I have been very fortunate so far.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:51 pm

bryceejohnson60542 wrote:Thanks! I just looked up these schools standard 509 reports and it seems that they do not give out many full tuition scholarships.

I actually did apply to UIUC and was able to get a full tuition scholarship. I also got one to Iowa, Indiana-Bloomington, Penn State and Michigan State so I have been very fortunate so far.

I believe UA gave a lot of "full rides" last cycle but they may have been a few thousand dollars short or something so may only be reported "half to full" on the 509's.
It sounds like you've done your homework though and have some strong options for graduating with minimal debt. Good for you!

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:53 pm

Wasting a 3.9 GPA is a huge mistake. With even a couple point increase, you could get money from T14 schools or full rides from strong regional schools. Re-take the LSAT and re-apply.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:59 pm

Moneytrees wrote:Wasting a 3.9 GPA is a huge mistake. With even a couple point increase, you could get money from T14 schools or full rides from strong regional schools. Re-take the LSAT and re-apply.

+1. I'd kill for your gpa right now.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:05 pm

Take a lot at the possibilities with even a couple point LSAT increase. I waited a cycle, improved my LSAT, and have been accepted to schools that I never would have gotten into with my previous LSAT score (and I certainly didn't have a 3.9).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”