June LSAT for scholarships after being accepted?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bluehose

June LSAT for scholarships after being accepted?

Postby bluehose » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:13 pm

Last edited by bluehose on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Re: June LSAT for scholarships after being accepted?

Postby Rigo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:52 pm

The June LSAT has been used before to negotiate with, but don't get your hopes up. It depends on how much better your score is and how desperate schools are leading up to orientation.

I'm guessing your LSAT score is low because otherwise you wouldn't be so secretive. In that case, you have about 5 months to study for your retake. I get the desire to get out of your small town, but law school shouldn't be viewed as your one chance to escape. Apply for jobs in bigger cities. The financial repercussions of the LSAT score are massive. Don't rush into bundles of debt just because you're young and angsty. Improving 5 points could very possibly be the difference between paying sticker price and receiving a full tuition scholarship.

bluehose

Postby bluehose » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:33 pm

My LSAT score isn't great, but it isn't extremely low, either. Basically, it's high enough to get me IN to some schools I want, but maybe not high enough to get me substantial scholarships to them, if that clarifies at all.

I definitely don't view law school as my chance to get away; it's way too big of a commitment in terms of time and money to just use as an escape route. It is merely the next step towards my career pursuits. I mentioned getting out of my town to show that there really aren't solid job prospects here for the year I would be waiting. I suppose the best thing to do at this point is to wait to receive the remaining decisions from law schools about admittance and scholarships. I'm trying to be patient and not rush things, so if the money doesn't add up I will hold off a year until I can increase my score. I am definitely thinking long term rather than short term in those regards.

Thanks for your response! I figured there was not much of a chance of a June LSAT increasing scholarship money, but I figured I would ask to see what additional knowledge I could glean.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:01 pm

bluehose wrote:I am definitely thinking long term rather than short term in those regards.

Thanks for your response! I figured there was not much of a chance of a June LSAT increasing scholarship money, but I figured I would ask to see what additional knowledge I could glean.

It seems like you have a good head on your shoulders.
If you think you can improve, I would study for a June retake. It's not out of the question that it may help you with negotiation, and it will definitely be helpful if you decide to reapply next cycle.
Good luck!

Dipper

Postby Dipper » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:12 pm

bluehose wrote:Wondering if a June LSAT would be too late to help with scholarship chances. Obviously, this is cutting it very close to the beginning of classes, so I doubt it's a good idea. Not to mention the fact that seat deposits are likely due before this and that most scholarships would already be awarded.

As of right now, I have received acceptances to a few schools and am waiting to hear from others. With a 3.7 GPA, I feel as though I could stand a much better chance of receiving more $ with a higher score. I've already taken the LSAT twice, but I did not have a lot of time to dedicate to studying, as I work a full time job and had several other commitments that kept me very busy (not an excuse, I know). Overall, I was disappointed with my score; I would have loved to have done better.

I've considered the possibility of waiting another year before starting law school but foresee the following problems:
(1) there's a chance I have just reached my limit; perhaps I will not be able to score higher. I took the LSAT twice & my score was consistent.
(2) I live in a small town with zero job prospects & opportunities- I desperately need to get out! I would seriously lose my mind living here another year.
(3) I will not be staying at my current job, regardless, so I would need to find a new one which would require relocating.

PM me for scores if that helps clear things up.

Just looking for a bit of advice for my particular situation.

Also considering doing this, both for WL's and to help negotiate scholarships. I have a 3.61, 169, but 5 years out of undergrad means I don't want to sit out another cycle to retake/reapply. So far I've gotten acceptances at T20s (and would certainly deposit at one of them), and foresee riding out the WL at some upper T14s.

Would love to hear more thoughts on how successful this has been in the past.

Life2good893

Postby Life2good893 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Isn't today the last day to sign up for the Feb LSAT (with a late fee)?

Why not do that instead if you feel ready?

Dipper

Postby Dipper » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Life2good893 wrote:Isn't today the last day to sign up for the Feb LSAT (with a late fee)?

Why not do that instead if you feel ready?

Definitely not ready. Haven't picked up a PT since my June 2014 take.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”