grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
trev_k
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:21 am

grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby trev_k » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:12 am

Hi all,
I found serious grammatical problem on my diversity statement after I sent out to one law school. Is there any way that I can fix this problem.. About to be fainted! Why couldn't I and proofreader spot the problem.....

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby downbeat14 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:15 am

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trev_k
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:21 am

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby trev_k » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:32 am

downbeat14 wrote:No. The only thing you can do is hope they don't notice/care that much. If your numbers are solid for the school, they may not even read your DS before deciding they need your numbers. If you are borderline, then maybe they will notice/care and it's obviously not going to look great. Prob not going to make a huge difference TBH if everything else in your app is stellar, esp bc it's an extra essay anyhow.

FWIW, I had a typo on one of my first apps, on the personal statement no less (uploaded the wrong unfixed version and didn't double check...FML). Ended up getting a full scholarship. That being said, my numbers were above both 75ths (LSAT way over 75th). So, if you take care of the numbers little things/errors might be "overlooked." Otherwise little things matter more.

Good luck and I hope they don't catch it!


Thank you for your answer. Matter of fact it is huge noticeable mistake... Too bad that I was in rush and missed it (also my proofreader was in rush as well...)
I'm one point below from median and all I could hope for was my statements but messed up. Guess I have to apply to others as well as soon as possible. Thank you for your answer.

mike0331
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:27 pm

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby mike0331 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:49 pm

If your application is otherwise good I doubt this would break it.

griffin3575
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby griffin3575 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:58 pm

I reversed the order of two words ("I that" vs. "that I") in my Why Duke essay. Still got in. the DS is near the back of your application, so they may very well be skimming at that point and not even notice it.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby Clearly » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:59 pm

Best to just live with it, if there's a chance that they will miss it, or you will just draw attention to it. If you really want to update it you could just be very vague. "Please attach the following essay to my application, I attached the wrong file" but you can see how that makes you look, it's a calculated risk so figure out if your current mistake looks worse than the above quote.

mike0331
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:27 pm

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby mike0331 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:55 am

I used affecting change instead of effecting change. I just decided to let it be. Even if they notice, Id be shocked if it broke the application.

Mike

BillsFan9907
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:13 am

OP are you a URM?

trev_k
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:21 am

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby trev_k » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:13 pm

mike0331 wrote:If your application is otherwise good I doubt this would break it.

griffin3575 wrote:I reversed the order of two words ("I that" vs. "that I") in my Why Duke essay. Still got in. the DS is near the back of your application, so they may very well be skimming at that point and not even notice it.

mike0331 wrote:I used affecting change instead of effecting change. I just decided to let it be. Even if they notice, Id be shocked if it broke the application.

Mike


Thanks all for comments!

Clearly wrote:Best to just live with it, if there's a chance that they will miss it, or you will just draw attention to it. If you really want to update it you could just be very vague. "Please attach the following essay to my application, I attached the wrong file" but you can see how that makes you look, it's a calculated risk so figure out if your current mistake looks worse than the above quote.


I followed your advice.. I attached the updated one. It was just very easy to spot the mistake...

BillsFan9907 wrote:OP are you a URM?

I am not URM but sound diversity statement was needed due to my specialty

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the people who consider with the same mistake that I did,
I called the admission to verify the availability of update.
Update is possible even after the deadline of application. But the submitted ones would remain.
However, they would put emphasize on the updated one and mainly focus on the updated one.
It is true that it can give a bad impression, but if your mistake is so big and you eager to change, then consider the update.

User avatar
appind
Posts: 1448
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:07 am

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby appind » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:51 pm

Op, can you say which school this is and if this can be done even after app is updated to complete?

trev_k
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:21 am

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby trev_k » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:23 pm

appind wrote:Op, can you say which school this is and if this can be done even after app is updated to complete?



PMed

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby ilikebaseball » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:26 pm

trev_k wrote:Hi all,
I found serious grammatical problem on my diversity statement after I sent out to one law school. Is there any way that I can fix this problem.. About to be fainted! Why couldn't I and proofreader spot the problem.....

I don't think they care too much. I did the same with on my first app on my resume(mind you, it was a TT regional) but they offered me a full ride. I think they understand that some people make mistakes, and its not how you would usually spell/say a sentence... lol nobodies perfect. As long as its a minor mistake

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby Clearly » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:52 pm

appind wrote:Op, can you say which school this is and if this can be done even after app is updated to complete?

literally all schools will allow this.

Wingtip88
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:00 pm

Re: grammatical problem spotted after sending out application

Postby Wingtip88 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:20 pm

trev_k wrote:Guess I have to apply to others as well as soon as possible. Thank you for your answer.


I hope you've applied to more than one school at the outset, but you're possibly freaking out over nothing in any case. I've been lead to believe that typographical and grammatical mistakes are not the end of the world on law school exams themselves. I doubt it would torpedo your chance at admittance, at least to any greater degree than your LSAT/GPA would.

trev_k wrote:Update is possible even after the deadline of application. But the submitted ones would remain.
However, they would put emphasize on the updated one and mainly focus on the updated one.
It is true that it can give a bad impression, but if your mistake is so big and you eager to change, then consider the update


Why would they care? I've worked at a law firm for a number of years and have seen some hysterical, but otherwise minor mistakes on filed pleadings. Sh*t happens. If you submit a corrected document for your application, I can't think of any reason why that corrected document wouldn't be the one they pay attention to over the one with the error.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests