Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Formerpremed
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:21 pm

Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Formerpremed » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:36 pm

I am a former premed student in my junior year. Although I completed many of pre-med prereqs, I decided to lean toward law school over this winter break after deep contemplation. If I went the med school route, I wouldn't be working until my mid to late 30s and I thought it would be silly to pursue med school and take out a huge loan if I wasn't 100% in love with it.
Here are a couple of issues that I have that are against me:
1) My GPA: This will be a large issue with the T14. My GPA is a 3.94 cumulative HOWEVER my freshman year I was at a different school and had a horrible GPA (3.33......) I know that the schools will recalculate my GPA with my terrible first year. My GPA might plummet further depending on how I fare next semester in my Physics II course.... (Should I drop it before next semester begins since Physics is not necessary for law school and might be too risky on my GPA if I do poorly in it?)
2) My major: I am a Psychology major. Some may think it seems like an easy major and wonder why I didn't challenge myself such as in Philosophy. This also limits me to other fields that others can get into such as patent law, etc.
3)Many Ws. My first year I had many Ws. Unfortunately, I was experiencing a health issue which caused them. I was able to have it as a medical W for some of the classes that I had to W from. Because I took a medical leave of absence, it has put me a little behind.
4) I do not have any work experience or internships. I know that Northwestern Law School requires it...
UChicago Law and Northwestern Law would be my dream schools. Although, it seems I won't have a chance at Northwestern because of the lack of work experience and UChicago requires an impeccable GPA with the average being a 3.9.
I would appreciate any advice anyone here can give me.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby ilikebaseball » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Formerpremed wrote:I am a former premed student in my junior year. Although I completed many of pre-med prereqs, I decided to lean toward law school over this winter break after deep contemplation. If I went the med school route, I wouldn't be working until my mid to late 30s and I thought it would be silly to pursue med school and take out a huge loan if I wasn't 100% in love with it.
Here are a couple of issues that I have that are against me:
1) My GPA: This will be a large issue with the T14. My GPA is a 3.94 cumulative HOWEVER my freshman year I was at a different school and had a horrible GPA (3.33......) I know that the schools will recalculate my GPA with my terrible first year. My GPA might plummet further depending on how I fare next semester in my Physics II course.... (Should I drop it before next semester begins since Physics is not necessary for law school and might be too risky on my GPA if I do poorly in it?)
2) My major: I am a Psychology major. Some may think it seems like an easy major and wonder why I didn't challenge myself such as in Philosophy. This also limits me to other fields that others can get into such as patent law, etc.
3)Many Ws. My first year I had many Ws. Unfortunately, I was experiencing a health issue which caused them. I was able to have it as a medical W for some of the classes that I had to W from. Because I took a medical leave of absence, it has put me a little behind.
4) I do not have any work experience or internships. I know that Northwestern Law School requires it...
UChicago Law and Northwestern Law would be my dream schools. Although, it seems I won't have a chance at Northwestern because of the lack of work experience and UChicago requires an impeccable GPA with the average being a 3.9.
I would appreciate any advice anyone here can give me.


Nothing is necessary for law school except a bachelor's degree and your LSAT. Drop physics, take dumpster diving. Make a 170's LSAT score and you'll be able to get into some T-14. Not every T-14 is GPA heavy. Many, and i mean MANY splitters go to T-14's every year. Just make the rest of your GPA as solid as possible, and study your ass off for the LSAT.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:50 pm

Formerpremed wrote:1) My GPA: This will be a large issue with the T14. My GPA is a 3.94 cumulative HOWEVER my freshman year I was at a different school and had a horrible GPA (3.33......) I know that the schools will recalculate my GPA with my terrible first year. My GPA might plummet further depending on how I fare next semester in my Physics II course.... (Should I drop it before next semester begins since Physics is not necessary for law school and might be too risky on my GPA if I do poorly in it?)

I don't see how physics ties into your major so sounds pretty useless, especially if it is likely to be a hard class and not an A. Drop away.
Formerpremed wrote:2) My major: I am a Psychology major. Some may think it seems like an easy major and wonder why I didn't challenge myself such as in Philosophy. This also limits me to other fields that others can get into such as patent law, etc.

I'm confused. Why is this an issue? And since when is Philosophy a hard major? The hard sciences are obviously the hard majors as evidenced by your experience.
Formerpremed wrote:3)Many Ws. My first year I had many Ws. Unfortunately, I was experiencing a health issue which caused them. I was able to have it as a medical W for some of the classes that I had to W from. Because I took a medical leave of absence, it has put me a little behind.

Not an issue, so long as the W's are non-punitive. Can easily be explained away with an addendum when the time comes.
Formerpremed wrote:4) I do not have any work experience or internships. I know that Northwestern Law School requires it...
UChicago Law and Northwestern Law would be my dream schools. Although, it seems I won't have a chance at Northwestern because of the lack of work experience and UChicago requires an impeccable GPA with the average being a 3.9.

Northwestern does not require WE. The CW is that they prefer some WE, but k-jd's matriculate there every year. A very high LSAT is hard for lower T-14s to pass up. However, you do not need to go directly from undergrad to law school. Taking a couple years off can be outstandingly beneficial financially, professionally, and personally.

Formerpremed
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:21 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Formerpremed » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:20 pm

What is the best way for me to do well on the LSAT? I am a horrible standardized test taker.... I flipped through the logic portion of a test prep book and it looks like Chinese to me.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:25 pm

Formerpremed wrote:What is the best way for me to do well on the LSAT? I am a horrible standardized test taker.... I flipped through the logic portion of a test prep book and it looks like Chinese to me.

Flip around the LSAT Prep forum:
viewforum.php?f=6

And LG is very foreign to nearly everyone who hasn't learned to diagram. Don't read too much into your poor performance there.

Definitely don't underestimate the amount of time and effort it will take to improve on the LSAT, but I assure you that there is a direct correlation between time spent studying and your score.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:36 pm

1) I had a 2.81 GPA and was accepted to 3 T14 schools & was offered a scholarship from one of them. AND this was 3 years ago when applications were higher & admissions were SUPPOSEDLY more competitive

2) I was a PoliSci/Philosophy double major. Many of my current classmates have similar "non-challenging" majors. (And come on, Philosophy as a challenging major??? What planet do you live on? That's BS central).

3) Just write a GPA addendum explaining your health issues in 3-5 sentences. They will understand.

4) NU does prefer (not require) WE, but you're still a junior so you have plenty of time to find a post-grad job if you want to. Also...I attend Northwestern. I got a scholarship from Northwestern with a 2.81 GPA and a 176 LSAT. I had about 1.5 years of WE doing desk jockey type work for a small startup company.

5) TAKE A BREATH holy shit calm down. Things will be okay. Study your ass off for the LSAT. If you want help or advice about studying, you can PM me if you'd like. This board SAVED ME for law school applications, and it can definitely help you too. You have plenty of time, though - I can't stress that enough. Obviously, try to keep your grades up for the next 2 years, but don't freak out too much. You will be okay. ESPECIALLY if you want to go to NU.

User avatar
Big Red
Posts: 3023
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Big Red » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:44 pm

Formerpremed wrote:What is the best way for me to do well on the LSAT? I am a horrible standardized test taker.... I flipped through the logic portion of a test prep book and it looks like Chinese to me.


Have you taken Orgo yet? I have trouble believing someone who could perform in that subject up to a ~3.9 gpa wouldn't be equipped intellectually/have the work ethic to do well on the LSAT.

Also, when you say you wouldn't be working until mid-late 30's w/r/t med school, do you mean to refer to the compensation scale?

And LOL @ phil being an academically challenging major...

Formerpremed
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:21 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Formerpremed » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:51 pm

Big Red wrote:
Formerpremed wrote:What is the best way for me to do well on the LSAT? I am a horrible standardized test taker.... I flipped through the logic portion of a test prep book and it looks like Chinese to me.


Have you taken Orgo yet? I have trouble believing someone who could perform in that subject up to a ~3.9 gpa wouldn't be equipped intellectually/have the work ethic to do well on the LSAT.

Also, when you say you wouldn't be working until mid-late 30's w/r/t med school, do you mean to refer to the compensation scale?

And LOL @ phil being an academically challenging major...

I actually have not taken Orgo yet... I've taken: Full year of Biology & Chemistry and need one more semester of Physics (am now contemplating dropping it though.) I chose to put off ORGO partly, because I was undecided about law school at that time and did not want to take orgo and have it ruin my GPA....
Classes start up again on Monday for me so I am unsure if I will be able to drop it for an easy class since all of the easy classes get taken immediately as soon as registration opens.

User avatar
Big Red
Posts: 3023
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Big Red » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:01 pm

Formerpremed wrote:
Big Red wrote:
Formerpremed wrote:What is the best way for me to do well on the LSAT? I am a horrible standardized test taker.... I flipped through the logic portion of a test prep book and it looks like Chinese to me.


Have you taken Orgo yet? I have trouble believing someone who could perform in that subject up to a ~3.9 gpa wouldn't be equipped intellectually/have the work ethic to do well on the LSAT.

Also, when you say you wouldn't be working until mid-late 30's w/r/t med school, do you mean to refer to the compensation scale?

And LOL @ phil being an academically challenging major...

I actually have not taken Orgo yet... I've taken: Full year of Biology & Chemistry and need one more semester of Physics (am now contemplating dropping it though.) I chose to put off ORGO partly, because I was undecided about law school at that time and did not want to take orgo and have it ruin my GPA....
Classes start up again on Monday for me so I am unsure if I will be able to drop it for an easy class since all of the easy classes get taken immediately as soon as registration opens.


I mean physics is typically the pmed gpa booster at most schools, and definitely don't drop 2nd semester physics if there's any doubt in your mind that you might want to go to med school. I think you need to 1) volunteer at a hospital and 2) think about why you actually WANT to go to law school, because tbh the reasons you have against your plan A weigh heavier against plan B. But again, it's not a type A or B situation

mattf
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby mattf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:03 pm

Formerpremed wrote:
Big Red wrote:
Formerpremed wrote:What is the best way for me to do well on the LSAT? I am a horrible standardized test taker.... I flipped through the logic portion of a test prep book and it looks like Chinese to me.


Have you taken Orgo yet? I have trouble believing someone who could perform in that subject up to a ~3.9 gpa wouldn't be equipped intellectually/have the work ethic to do well on the LSAT.

Also, when you say you wouldn't be working until mid-late 30's w/r/t med school, do you mean to refer to the compensation scale?

And LOL @ phil being an academically challenging major...

I actually have not taken Orgo yet... I've taken: Full year of Biology & Chemistry and need one more semester of Physics (am now contemplating dropping it though.) I chose to put off ORGO partly, because I was undecided about law school at that time and did not want to take orgo and have it ruin my GPA....
Classes start up again on Monday for me so I am unsure if I will be able to drop it for an easy class since all of the easy classes get taken immediately as soon as registration opens.


I don't know about your school but there's a lot at my school. Any Intro to Micro/Macroecon wouldn't be that hard. Intro to Soc., Intro to Psych, Intro to any European Language, etc. They'll allbe fairly easy. Definitely drop Physics, that's a really hard class. I'm a Chemistry major so I have to take Orgo and Physics, fortunately I did really well in first semester of Orgo with almost no effort, taking my second semester of it this semester.

mattf
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby mattf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:08 pm

Big Red wrote:
Formerpremed wrote:
Big Red wrote:
Formerpremed wrote:What is the best way for me to do well on the LSAT? I am a horrible standardized test taker.... I flipped through the logic portion of a test prep book and it looks like Chinese to me.


Have you taken Orgo yet? I have trouble believing someone who could perform in that subject up to a ~3.9 gpa wouldn't be equipped intellectually/have the work ethic to do well on the LSAT.

Also, when you say you wouldn't be working until mid-late 30's w/r/t med school, do you mean to refer to the compensation scale?

And LOL @ phil being an academically challenging major...

I actually have not taken Orgo yet... I've taken: Full year of Biology & Chemistry and need one more semester of Physics (am now contemplating dropping it though.) I chose to put off ORGO partly, because I was undecided about law school at that time and did not want to take orgo and have it ruin my GPA....
Classes start up again on Monday for me so I am unsure if I will be able to drop it for an easy class since all of the easy classes get taken immediately as soon as registration opens.


I mean physics is typically the pmed gpa booster at most schools, and definitely don't drop 2nd semester physics if there's any doubt in your mind that you might want to go to med school. I think you need to 1) volunteer at a hospital and 2) think about why you actually WANT to go to law school, because tbh the reasons you have against your plan A weigh heavier against plan B. But again, it's not a type A or B situation


As a previous pre-med student I feel like I know what I'm saying (at least to some extent) when I say don't go to med school if you're having doubts about going to med school. Med school is a huge, huge commitment (not that law school isn't) that requires a lot of work before and during. The acceptance rate for med schools is much higher thus you're held to a higher standard with GPA and there aren't really "softs" when it comes to med school. At least from what I've seen looking on message boards for both med school has a much more holistic review of their prospective students. You have to have UG research, clinical hours, doctor shadowing, extra curriculars, etc. And then there's 4 years of med school, 2-4 years of specialization and then residency. It isn't a decision to be taken lightly and any doubts about it should deter you from that decision, people that go to med school have known they've wanted to go to med school and felt strong about this for a while.

User avatar
Big Red
Posts: 3023
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Big Red » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:16 pm

mattf wrote:The acceptance rate for med schools is much higher thus you're held to a higher standard with GPA and there aren't really "softs" when it comes to med school. At least from what I've seen looking on message boards for both med school has a much more holistic review of their prospective students.


Are you trolling? This is like a serious life decision someone is making

mattf
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby mattf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:24 pm

Big Red wrote:
mattf wrote:The acceptance rate for med schools is much higher thus you're held to a higher standard with GPA and there aren't really "softs" when it comes to med school. At least from what I've seen looking on message boards for both med school has a much more holistic review of their prospective students.


Are you trolling? This is like a serious life decision someone is making


I meant to say the acceptance rate is much lower. And no I'm not trolling. Med school looks more about what you've done outside of MCAT/GPA than law school does at your LSAT/GPA. What don't you understand about that?

mattf
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby mattf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:30 pm

To further my point read this: http://www.princetonreview.com/medical/ ... mbers.aspx

It describes how med schools want people with research experience, diverse extra-curriculars, lengthy commitment to volunteer work or clinical work, a further point about volunteer work/community service and finally a paragraph about "the whole picture". I wouldn't consider any of those things "softs" because they're looked at just as careful (well maybe a little less but almost as important) as your GPA and MCAT. If you don't have any of those things it doesn't matter if you had a 3.8 GPA and 35 MCAT you're not going to get into med school as easily. Also, almost all med schools require an interview before acceptance, whereas most law schools do not.

Now read this: http://www.danpinello.com/LawSch.htm LSAT, GPA are essentially is what law school admissions are primarily based on

I think most people can agree that while there are a lot of factors in law school admittance LSAT/GPA are extremely important. Everything else beyond that is considered less important (i.e. why they're called "softs").

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Rigo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:33 pm

Princeton Review is your #1 source? Really now?

mattf
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby mattf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:38 pm

Dirigo wrote:Princeton Review is your #1 source? Really now?

http://www.collegexpress.com/interests/ ... applicant/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-wil ... 11062.html
http://www.medhopeful.com/archive/trait ... pplicants/
http://sites.allegheny.edu/health/what- ... oking-for/

Pretty much any site you look up says the same thing. Princeton Review was the highest up on Google that I saw when I searched.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 3921
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby pancakes3 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:47 pm

1) All of your links do say the same thing: get a high GPA and high MCAT.
2) Med School employment is like 98% so it doesn't matter nearly as much what "tier" school you get in.
3) If OP hasn't taken Orgo I or Physics II as a 2nd semester Junior, he/she really isn't much of a premed.

mattf
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby mattf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:55 pm

pancakes3 wrote:1) All of your links do say the same thing: get a high GPA and high MCAT.
2) Med School employment is like 98% so it doesn't matter nearly as much what "tier" school you get in.
3) If OP hasn't taken Orgo I or Physics II as a 2nd semester Junior, he/she really isn't much of a premed.


1) They do but that was not the point I was making at all. All I was saying was that med school took a more holistic approach to reviewing their applicants than does law school and that it took a much greater commitment. I'm not sure why everyone jumped all over me for that.
2) True, but that also has nothing to do with what the OP was saying nor does it have anything to do with what anyone else was saying
3) This is a fair point

Formerpremed
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:21 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Formerpremed » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:16 am

The premed class that I never took was a full year of Organic Chemistry along with a semester of Biochemistry because I did not want Orgo to bring my GPA down and hurt my chances at T14 law schools....I do want to add that Phys II and lab is on my course list for next semester and it is going to be really hard to drop it for another random basketweaving class because all of those are already taken at this point since classes start on the 13th.... I also want to say that I have volunteered at hospice as a hospice patient companion for 2 years now, I tutor with a nonprofit for economically disadvantaged children and this is my 2nd year of doing it, I have been on the Walk MS and American Cancer Society Relay for life Committees for over a year (This is my 2nd year of doing that).
Last edited by Formerpremed on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

mattf
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby mattf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:22 am

Formerpremed wrote:The premed class that I never took was a full year of Organic Chemistry along with a semester of Biochemistry because I did not want Orgo to bring my GPA down and hurt my chances at T14 law schools....I do want to add that Phys II and lab is on my course list for next semester and it is going to be really hard to drop it for another random basketweaving class because all of those are already taken at this point since classes start on the 13th.... I also want to say that I have volunteered at hospice as a hospice patient companion for 2 years now, I tutor with a nonprofit for economically disadvantaged children and this is my 2nd year of doing it, I have been on the Walk MS and American Cancer Society Relay for life Committees for over a year (This is my 2nd year of doing that). Will any of this volunteering help my law school application? What can I be doing to distinguish myself or make myself more unique?


I would try as best you could to get out of it, if you can't just try your best in it. It's hard to find things that you can do to distinguish yourself a lot to get into law school. I think you have a sold set of extra-curriculars at this point. Join a couple clubs you might be interested but otherwise designated a lot your time to studying the LSAT and keeping your GPA up .

User avatar
pamphleteer
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:03 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby pamphleteer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:26 am

For what it's worth Northwestern has steadily de-emphasized work experience over the past 3-4 years. It used to be something like 2% of their matriculants with less than a year of post-undergrad WE and now it's more like 10+. Just make sure you kill the LSAT. In a time of declining apps, lower T14 schools like Northwestern need all the help they can get with regards to their LSAT median. It's certainly still helpful to have WE (not only for NU but to save up some money as well as garner the benefits to your resume come OCI time if it's substantive employment) but I wouldn't really say it's a requirement anymore.

Formerpremed
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:21 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Formerpremed » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:27 am

mattf wrote:
Formerpremed wrote:The premed class that I never took was a full year of Organic Chemistry along with a semester of Biochemistry because I did not want Orgo to bring my GPA down and hurt my chances at T14 law schools....I do want to add that Phys II and lab is on my course list for next semester and it is going to be really hard to drop it for another random basketweaving class because all of those are already taken at this point since classes start on the 13th.... I also want to say that I have volunteered at hospice as a hospice patient companion for 2 years now, I tutor with a nonprofit for economically disadvantaged children and this is my 2nd year of doing it, I have been on the Walk MS and American Cancer Society Relay for life Committees for over a year (This is my 2nd year of doing that). Will any of this volunteering help my law school application? What can I be doing to distinguish myself or make myself more unique?


I would try as best you could to get out of it, if you can't just try your best in it. It's hard to find things that you can do to distinguish yourself a lot to get into law school. I think you have a sold set of extra-curriculars at this point. Join a couple clubs you might be interested but otherwise designated a lot your time to studying the LSAT and keeping your GPA up .

I forgot to mention that I am VP of Psychology Club Majors and also the Refugee Outreach club treasurer and a Chicago Cares Service Leader... I don't know if that helps at all? I read Yale's entering class profile and my jaw dropped... One was an adviser to the president of Kurdistan, a lot were Teach for America workers, some were unique such as Salsa Instructors and of course, Olympic athletes! :o I don't know if I should take up salsa dancing???

A couple Questions I have:
-Will any of this rather generic volunteering help my law school application?
-What can I be doing to distinguish myself or make myself more unique?
-Planning to take Kaplan course over summer because some people suggested this... Do you recommend 1 on 1 tutoring or the classroom setting? (Note: I stink at standardized tests and I KNOW the LSAT is going to be brutal...)
-After studying my butt off for LSAT this summer, do you suggest I take the test in the fall? December? When is it best suggested to take it?
-Also can someone retake it if they bomb it?
-After I sent in my applications after the test date, if I don't get in to T14, I will cry.... but then I guess my back up options would be to continue with the premed or healthcare route and finish those classes up :/.......

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Rigo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:31 am

Don't take Kraplan. Head over to the LSAT Prep forum for recommended self-study guides and materials.
Also, you take the test when you're ready and scoring in the range you need to be on your practice tests.

mattf
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby mattf » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:47 am

Formerpremed wrote:
mattf wrote:
Formerpremed wrote:The premed class that I never took was a full year of Organic Chemistry along with a semester of Biochemistry because I did not want Orgo to bring my GPA down and hurt my chances at T14 law schools....I do want to add that Phys II and lab is on my course list for next semester and it is going to be really hard to drop it for another random basketweaving class because all of those are already taken at this point since classes start on the 13th.... I also want to say that I have volunteered at hospice as a hospice patient companion for 2 years now, I tutor with a nonprofit for economically disadvantaged children and this is my 2nd year of doing it, I have been on the Walk MS and American Cancer Society Relay for life Committees for over a year (This is my 2nd year of doing that). Will any of this volunteering help my law school application? What can I be doing to distinguish myself or make myself more unique?


I would try as best you could to get out of it, if you can't just try your best in it. It's hard to find things that you can do to distinguish yourself a lot to get into law school. I think you have a sold set of extra-curriculars at this point. Join a couple clubs you might be interested but otherwise designated a lot your time to studying the LSAT and keeping your GPA up .

I forgot to mention that I am VP of Psychology Club Majors and also the Refugee Outreach club treasurer and a Chicago Cares Service Leader... I don't know if that helps at all? I read Yale's entering class profile and my jaw dropped... One was an adviser to the president of Kurdistan, a lot were Teach for America workers, some were unique such as Salsa Instructors and of course, Olympic athletes! :o I don't know if I should take up salsa dancing???

A couple Questions I have:
-Will any of this rather generic volunteering help my law school application?
-What can I be doing to distinguish myself or make myself more unique?
-Planning to take Kaplan course over summer because some people suggested this... Do you recommend 1 on 1 tutoring or the classroom setting? (Note: I stink at standardized tests and I KNOW the LSAT is going to be brutal...)
-After studying my butt off for LSAT this summer, do you suggest I take the test in the fall? December? When is it best suggested to take it?
-Also can someone retake it if they bomb it?
-After I sent in my applications after the test date, if I don't get in to T14, I will cry.... but then I guess my back up options would be to continue with the premed or healthcare route and finish those classes up :/.......


-Will any of this rather generic volunteering help my law school application?
Of course it will help to some extent, what will really help you is something unique. Schools want to be able to say we have someone who does [this] where [this] is something cool and unique and something to brag about

-What can I be doing to distinguish myself or make myself more unique?
That's not something that can be easily answered, look at what you're interested and build off that. What's something that not a lot of people do? For instance, at first thought being bilingual might seem like a great thing to increase your chances of getting into law school. Give it a second thought though, how many people can speak a second language? How many people minor in some kind of language or come over to the United States with English as their second language? Quite a few. Think of something unique that will separate you from everyone else. If I could answer this question flat out the answer most likely wouldn't be unique and therefor wouldn't really be an answer to your question

-After studying my butt off for LSAT this summer, do you suggest I take the test in the fall? December? When is it best suggested to take it?
Take it in the fall so you can retake it if you need to in December. Don't count on that second test to fall back on though. Study your ass off for the fall one

-Also can someone retake it if they bomb it?
Yes, you can retake it up to four times over the course of two years if I remember correctly

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 11953
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Help! Making a huge change & a below avg T14 GPA

Postby Rigo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:51 am

mattf wrote:-Also can someone retake it if they bomb it?
Yes, you can retake it up to four times over the course of two years if I remember correctly

No. Max 3 takes within two years.

Also, don't overestimate softs, OP.
LSAT & GPA are 95%+ of what adcoms care about.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cavalier1138, Google [Bot], WamBamThankYouMaam and 4 guests