admitted students weekend RSVP

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
supersplittysplitter

admitted students weekend RSVP

Postby supersplittysplitter » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:14 pm

Are there any consequences to RSVPing to an admitted students day/weekend/ open house if you're not 100% sure you can attend? I just want to keep my options open and have flexibility with my schedule, I don't mean to be spiteful towards the school or anything like that.

antiworldly

Re: admitted students weekend RSVP

Postby antiworldly » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:03 am

Email admissions, tell them that you'd love to come and there's a 90% chance you will, but due to extenuating circumstances you can't commit 100%. They'll appreciate the candor and be able to factor you in for things that require a definite count. Much better than saying yes in the RSVP and then backing out last minute.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:32 am

I think the above is a bit tedious. Remember, ASW is open to all admitted students, and I assume that they already reasonably know how many will be coming and canceling based on a long history of ASWs.

If it were me, I'd RSVP and then if I pass, let them know ASAP. This is all the more true if you are bringing guests - those spots can be limited!

I'm just not sure how their system allows for a 90% yes. I believe it's all automated via online evite?

Also, in the case that you do commit, it would not bode well for scholarship consideration if you appear as pushing to far to disinterest. I don't buy the hole scholarships are used to weigh the big time undecided. Heard that duke interviewer for scholarship explicitly said they want to gauge a persons interest in duke - only so much money to go around.

EVERYONE (almost) is not 100% sure. Don't create s self fulfilling prophecy by showing a lack of interest leading to dim scholarship prospects to your declining their offer!

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:31 am

On a somewhat related note - how far in advance do you have to RSVP? Is the purpose of the RSVP to get a head count or do slots legitimately run out?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:34 am

The thing is, once you're admitted, all the power shifts between you and the school. Obviously, letting them know is what a good person would do, but I wouldn't sweat it. And feel free to skip anything at the ASW you don't really feel like doing. It's what you'll be doing re: class in 9 months.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:41 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:On a somewhat related note - how far in advance do you have to RSVP? Is the purpose of the RSVP to get a head count or do slots legitimately run out?

I believe they have RSVP by dates, if not, they don't run out. Remember, they are able to accurately predict how many students will matriculate out of far more acceptances. This stuff is down to a science : figuring asw attendance is a Cale walk.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:04 pm

BillsFan9907 wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:On a somewhat related note - how far in advance do you have to RSVP? Is the purpose of the RSVP to get a head count or do slots legitimately run out?

I believe they have RSVP by dates, if not, they don't run out. Remember, they are able to accurately predict how many students will matriculate out of far more acceptances. This stuff is down to a science : figuring asw attendance is a Cale walk.

So if they have RSVP by dates they will run out? Yeah it makes sense for them - but I would have to fly to the vast majority of them so I'm waiting to see all my options before picking what to spend $$ on.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”