Taking a Year Off

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sottovoce

Taking a Year Off

Postby sottovoce » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:34 pm

I know there are plenty of topics on this, but I wanted to make sure that given my circumstances it would be a good idea to take a year off.

I am a second semester junior and am planning on graduating a semester early (second semester senior). As of now, I will be graduating with over a 4.0+ from a top flagship state school. I have only minimally begun studying for the LSAT, and am taking a full courseload this semester. I was planning on studying abroad in the Fall and then hardcore studying when I get back for the June or Sept LSAT or my Senior Year. I will be studying, but only about an hour a day until then. Would this be a good idea, or should I get a job? Do law school admissions (including Yale, Stanford) find it weird if you take a year off without any work experience?

sundontshine

Re: Taking a Year Off

Postby sundontshine » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:55 pm

How are you going to pay your bills if you are neither working nor in school?

Get a job.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Didn't really understand the post, but presumably you'll be taking a year off. It would be weird/look entitled not to do anything. If you have over a 4.0, you're presumably good at something. The ideal scenario would be one in which you get paid a lot to work only a few hours a week (say 10 hours at 30 per) versus waiting tables for 10 hrs a day. You'll have a lot of time, and will earn an income.

sottovoce

Postby sottovoce » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:45 pm

I suppose the general gist is to work at a part time job and study for the LSAT? Sorry that the question is confusing - at this point I am choosing between working full time vs working part time vs not working at all (I have money saved away). My main concern is not money, because, as I mentioned, I have money saved away to live off of, but rather how addcoms will view a semester (maybe more than that) of no work experience after graduation even if I graduate early. I am also scared that a job will cut too much into LSAT studying.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:46 pm

dude with a 4.0 from a good school you can snag a good full time job (probably a pretty well paid one at that). do that and study during your free time. will also look good during oci if you have some substantive work experience.

Best case scenario, you find a good full time job you like and then you can forgo law school altogether.

hillz

Postby hillz » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:32 pm

I think a semester of just studying wouldn't look horrible, but I personally would get a part time job. Lots of people (myself included) have studied for the LSAT while working full time, and I think a part time job would probably break up your study time nicely. After you take the test, couldn't you look for a full time job before you go to school or at least volunteer on the side with your part time job?

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:45 pm

hillz wrote:I think a semester of just studying wouldn't look horrible, but I personally would get a part time job. Lots of people (myself included) have studied for the LSAT while working full time, and I think a part time job would probably break up your study time nicely. After you take the test, couldn't you look for a full time job before you go to school or at least volunteer on the side with your part time job?

I doubt law schools would care that much. I would just imagine if I were speaking with somebody at an interview I would bring it up, because it's a more relaxed convo than tell me about Chemistry 101.

mike0331

Postby mike0331 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:08 pm

I don't think the LSAT takes full days of studying. 2-3 hours a day for a couple months should be fine, which can easily be combined with work. If you're a 4.0 student from a good school, or any decent school for that matter, you should be fine with the LSAT. Get a job, or study and volunteer. Plenty of places are always looking for volunteers. Animal shelters, soldiers homes, etc.

Mike

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”