Realistic perspective in this situation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nuissance92

Realistic perspective in this situation

Postby nuissance92 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:05 am

Pretty new to this site, but I needed some sort of objective advice about this situation.
I am a junior hispanic URM at an Ivy who was originally premed, but have sort of shifted my interests into law through work experience over the last couple years. What I decided to do was extend my stay at the university and attain two undergrad degrees in biology and theatre so that I would have more of an opportunity to take political & philosophy classes, and most importantly, make my GPA better. The two degrees are not separate because my university only offers a combined BA/BS if you stay five years. By the time I finish my time here after 5 years, my GPA would be around a 3.4... the issue was that I had a cancer diagnosis my freshman year that sort of grew into an anxiety problem while at college (affected academic standing for my semesters 1-5), but my grades have gotten better and will get better over the next two and a half years here. Clearly, I will be needing to put an addendum on my applications for the academic standing & GPA. But my GPA will be completely increased by graduation (All As and a few Bs for semester 6-10 & my two summer semesters- 12 total semesters).

Given a 171 LSAT score, will those extenuating circumstance count me out for applying to top 20 law schools? It was an issue that was pretty prevalent up until half way through this semester. I'll have my entire second half of undergrad to get better, thankfully (and the second half has an additional year + 2 summers). And getting academically better is not a question or a possibility... I will make sure it happens.

Work Experience:
- For the past three years I have been working with the medical examiner, helping perform autopsies, creating/organizing medical-legal paperwork, investigating work for the cases, shadowing the doctor at crime scenes with the bodies, talking to families and law firms, shadowing the doctor in court when they testify for deaths, shadowing depositions.
-For the past year, I was able to secure a job with the public defender, and more or less, assist with cases there while also being a part of interning that has mock cases we are tested on.
- Also trying to get a job with a criminal defense attorney, and if it goes through, I can work there at least until late 2016 when I apply (unless I should apply in late 2017).
-Mock Trial member at university (will try and apply for board position), on the leadership board of a theatre group, have acted/performed in various plays/musicals, RA for high school students, teacher of medical science in the summer when high schoolers come and intern at the medical examiner's office

If possible, I would also be applying ED to NU. Of course, I welcome any assistance.
Thank you for any help and sorry for the trouble.

Tanicius

Re: Realistic perspective in this situation

Postby Tanicius » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:15 am

Okay, what I'm gathering is you have the following stats on paper:

1. 171
2. 3.4
3. Hispanic URM
4. Some non-barista-or-Target-stock-boy work experience
5. Cancer happened

If you can raise the GPA you .1 or especially .2, you will be in a very, very good spot. Even if you can't, you would crack the T-14 with those stats.

mattf

Postby mattf » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:53 am

Even without an addendum a 3.4 GPA/171 LSAT with URM status almost guarantees you a spot in T20 law schools. Assuming everything else is in order and you haven't robbed an banks lately.

nuissance92

Postby nuissance92 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:54 pm

The academic warnings from my previous semesters won't completely ruin my chances if the remainder of my time at the school is way way better?

jepper

Postby jepper » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:11 pm

nuissance92 wrote:The academic warnings from my previous semesters won't completely ruin my chances if the remainder of my time at the school is way way better?

I'm no expert but after reading your original post and this comment, my immediate thought is "dude, you had cancer." If I were you, I would not sweat what academic standing you may have had when you were going through this whole ordeal. You have a solid LSAT, not the worst GPA considering and a URM. You have a lot going for you.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:43 pm

You will be fine. NU ED is viable, and you should be a lock at most schools outside of the T14, especially if you can get the GPA up in 3.5/3.6 range.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”