Undergrad BA in Bus Mgmt Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jacob7

New

Undergrad BA in Bus Mgmt

Post by jacob7 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:03 am

Hi,

My name's Jacob. I'm in my second yr of undergrad at a Cal State Uni studying bus mgmt, and I'm planning on applying to LS and hopefully attending LS after I receive my BA.

Will my undergrad school and major impact my LS app? My goal is to attend UCLA.

This question has been asked ad nauseam, so I'd be grateful for any input and advice.

Thanks

Mullens

Silver

Re: Undergrad BA in Bus Mgmt

Post by Mullens » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:05 am

jacob7 wrote:Hi,

My name's Jacob. I'm in my second yr of undergrad at a Cal State Uni studying bus mgmt, and I'm planning on applying to LS and hopefully attending LS after I receive my BA.

This question has been asked ad nauseam, so I'd be grateful for any input and advice.

Thanks
No. Get as high of a GPA as possible. Take as many easy classes as possible. Go somewhere better than UCLA.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:10 am

jacob7 wrote:Hi,

Thanks
bro, take a blow off GPA, get a 3.8-4.0, study your ass off the the LSAT. Get a full ride from UCLA and USC and in at Stanford. If I could go back in time to my first year of UG, I would've done the same. Delinquency

SPerez

Bronze

Post by SPerez » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:46 pm

I always point out to students that you want to strike a balance between getting into law school and preparing yourself to do well once you are there. You COULD pick a blow off major and get into law school, but be completely unprepared, have no writing skills, not know how to read anything longer than 2 pages at a time, and having never taken a final exam longer than an hour or requiring more than a day of study. But if you do, you'll be in for a rude awakening come law school.

At the same time, it doesn't make sense to "challenge yourself" by taking every hard class in your university and be super-prepared for law school with a 2.1 GPA.

All that is to say, business has become a default major for many and, in my experience, at most schools does not help you develop the writing and critical thinking skills you need to succeed in law school. Sure, many business majors do great in law school, but most were already smart/talented/prepared to begin with and would have done well whatever their major.

If you're all about business then I'm not saying change your major, but I would suggest using your electives to take some writing and research intensive courses.

But that's just my 2 cents, of course.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech Law

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”