"Employment" section on the application -need to fill? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dlrkgml

New

"Employment" section on the application -need to fill?

Post by dlrkgml » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:15 am

Hello,

I noticed that some schools' applications have an "Employment" section where they ask you to list places where you have been employed/interned. Is it actually necessary that I actually fill out this section even though I'm submitting my resume? Sorry in advance if this is an obvious-answer question.

Thank you.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Re: "Employment" section on the application -need to fill?

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:17 am

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:18 am

Is it really worth being that lazy for your application? Just put it in if they ask for it.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:19 am

It depends on the school. Northwestern, for example, allows you to check off "this does not apply to me." Once you've filled it in once, it will translate to all other applicants. So it's really not as time consuming as you would think.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:23 am

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dlrkgml

New

Post by dlrkgml » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:28 am

Ah, thank you for the quick replies! I figured I needed to fill it out, but I just wanted to double check.

A follow up though unrelated question if anyone can help with this as well: studied abroad in China for two months over the summer- it wasn't with my college so I didn't get credit for it and I don't have transcripts. Should I not mention it at all on my resume and on the application where it asks me to list all of the institutions ever attended? I don't want the admission people to think I submitted an incomplete application, but I wish I could let them know I studied abroad. Thoughts?

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:35 am

dlrkgml wrote:
studied abroad in China for two months over the summer- it wasn't with my college so I didn't get credit for it and I don't have transcripts.
Is there literally no documentation out there that you took the classes, or do you just not have it? What institution conducted the study abroad program?

dlrkgml

New

Post by dlrkgml » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:37 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
dlrkgml wrote:
studied abroad in China for two months over the summer- it wasn't with my college so I didn't get credit for it and I don't have transcripts.
Is there literally no documentation out there that you took the classes, or do you just not have it? What institution conducted the study abroad program?

It was at Fudan University in Shanghai. It's the 3rd top university in the country but because my year was their first year doing the program, we didn't really get transcripts. And if they did end up making our transcripts, I needed to have requested one at least 3 months in advance so they could find and mail it to the US.

BillsFan9907

Silver

Post by BillsFan9907 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:38 am

dlrkgml wrote:Ah, thank you for the quick replies! I figured I needed to fill it out, but I just wanted to double check.

A follow up though unrelated question if anyone can help with this as well: studied abroad in China for two months over the summer- it wasn't with my college so I didn't get credit for it and I don't have transcripts. Should I not mention it at all on my resume and on the application where it asks me to list all of the institutions ever attended? I don't want the admission people to think I submitted an incomplete application, but I wish I could let them know I studied abroad. Thoughts?
I would absolutely mention this. You would be crazy not to. You just have to reference it properly so as to not cause confusion that it was a for-credit study abroad.

dlrkgml

New

Post by dlrkgml » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:55 am

Seoulless wrote:
dlrkgml wrote:Ah, thank you for the quick replies! I figured I needed to fill it out, but I just wanted to double check.

I would absolutely mention this. You would be crazy not to. You just have to reference it properly so as to not cause confusion that it was a for-credit study abroad.
Thank you!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”