Apps submitted; let law schools know about February retest?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pacifico

Apps submitted; let law schools know about February retest?

Postby pacifico » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I just registered for the February test. Do you think I should let the schools that I'm applying to know that I am retesting? I know that doing so will make them hold my application. But if I don't mention the Feb retest, I'm afraid that I would be rejected before the potentially higher Feb scores arrive.

I'm open to applying next cycle too, though I would prefer to get it over with this cycle.

My December score is 168, a bit lower than my PT averages, but thankfully my GPA is above the 75% for most schools. I'm applying to T6 schools and some T14s.

Thanks for your advice! TLS has been an amazing resource :D

pylon

Re: Apps submitted; let law schools know about February retest?

Postby pylon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:31 pm

I'm not sure if this is a consensus opinion, but I would let your reach schools know you're taking the Feb LSAT (the ones that you fear might reject you by then), but not mention it to the other schools if that's possible (where a 168 still gives you a reasonable shot at acceptance).

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:12 pm

Pretty much the same situation, and for the most part I'm not disclosing. Wait to apply at Yale, they're the only school that explicitly says it won't hurt you to take the February LSAT. HLS and SLS on the other hand explicitly say they don't accept the February 2015 LSAT for Fall 2015, so you might as well submit. For other schools it's really a case by case call- personally the only one I'm tempted to ask for a hold at is Columbia, just because the LSAT>>>>>>GPA over there.

pacifico

Postby pacifico » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:28 pm

leslieknope wrote:Pretty much the same situation, and for the most part I'm not disclosing. Wait to apply at Yale, they're the only school that explicitly says it won't hurt you to take the February LSAT. HLS and SLS on the other hand explicitly say they don't accept the February 2015 LSAT for Fall 2015, so you might as well submit. For other schools it's really a case by case call- personally the only one I'm tempted to ask for a hold at is Columbia, just because the LSAT>>>>>>GPA over there.

So I guess this also means that it wouldn't hurt to disclose to HLS and SLS?

You also make a good point about Columbia... decisions decisions...

@Pylon - I was thinking that NYU/Chicago/Penn/Berkeley would fall in the "reasonable shot at acceptance" category. Do you think I'm being wildly optimistic?

pacifico

Postby pacifico » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:40 pm

I guess another way of phrasing this would be whether I could manage not to be rejected by these schools before early March (when the Feb LSAT comes out).

From our wiser/more experienced posters, when do rejections start going out in full force? :(

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”