All colleges

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
janicet84

All colleges

Postby janicet84 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:35 pm

This forum has been a plethora of information, and glad to amongst some bright folks.

When asked for all institutions before your bachelors to be reported to the LSAC, does this include the grades from the other colleges that i never even sought the degree from?

My scenario:

In 2004, i went to a college for 1 semester, got all A's and 1 F.

In 2006, i started at another college in the same state, but with a fresh slate, and failed the only class when i became pregnant.

Fast forward: 2009 ,new school, new state, new slate, excellent grades, and im getting ready finish my degree now.

My current GPA is 3.3, but following the LSAC cumulative gpa with other institutions, it drops drastically. Is there anyone that could shine some light on this?

ballcaps

Re: All colleges

Postby ballcaps » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:11 pm

http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law- ... ranscripts

scroll down to "required transcripts."

sorry to say that those grades will count.

janicet84

Postby janicet84 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:47 pm

ballcaps wrote:http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law-school/cas/requesting-transcripts

Thank you for confirming this. Is there anything else to be done, besides getting a high LSAT in terms of raising an overall GPA for the LSAC?

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:53 pm

janicet84

Postby janicet84 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:39 pm

sublime wrote:
janicet84 wrote:
ballcaps wrote:http://www.lsac.org/jd/applying-to-law-school/cas/requesting-transcripts

Thank you for confirming this. Is there anything else to be done, besides getting a high LSAT in terms of raising an overall GPA for the LSAC?

You can not get your degree and take bullshit classes, but once you are conferred a degree, your LSAC GPA is locked in.

I understand that LS is a numbers game, but would the pleathora underwater basket weaving classes taken at a random CC matter to those reviewing my application? Im not to sure how that works...or if anyone has any experience in this situation?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:45 pm

If you really want to bring up your GPA, few (if any) will care how you did it. Have you already been awarded your first BA/BS? If so, you're done, but if not, you could take undergrab basketweaving 101 and its ilk for a decade artificially inflating your GPA. It might affect you on the margins, but nothing in the data at lsn.com suggests you'd be killed by it.

Depends on how committed you are to raising your GPA and putting off law school. If you are willing, you could probably bring your GPA up to medians and attend law school in 5-7 years after a bunch of CC.

janicet84

Postby janicet84 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:54 pm

Ramius wrote:If you really want to bring up your GPA, few (if any) will care how you did it. Have you already been awarded your first BA/BS? If so, you're done, but if not, you could take undergrab basketweaving 101 and its ilk for a decade artificially inflating your GPA. It might affect you on the margins, but nothing in the data at lsn.com suggests you'd be killed by it.

Depends on how committed you are to raising your GPA and putting off law school. If you are willing, you could probably bring your GPA up to medians and attend law school in 5-7 years after a bunch of CC.

5-7 years of CC would be counter beneficial for someone in my situation. Are there other techniques others on this board have had success with?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:00 am

janicet84 wrote:
Ramius wrote:If you really want to bring up your GPA, few (if any) will care how you did it. Have you already been awarded your first BA/BS? If so, you're done, but if not, you could take undergrab basketweaving 101 and its ilk for a decade artificially inflating your GPA. It might affect you on the margins, but nothing in the data at lsn.com suggests you'd be killed by it.

5-7 years of CC would be counter beneficial for someone in my situation. Are there other techniques others on this board have had success with?

How bad is your GPA? If >3.0, just rock the LSAT and accept your GPA is going to limit you at the top echelons (HYSCCN likely).

There aren't any magic fixes here. You can't make those grades disappear. They will haunt you when you apply. It doesn't have to be a killer if this is really what you want.

You can't make a bad GPA go away. You can, however, kill the LSAT, work on the rest of your app, and figure out how to maximize your chances of a good outcome. Worry less about the things you can't control and focus more on the things you can.

janicet84

Postby janicet84 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:20 am

Ramius wrote:
janicet84 wrote:

How bad is your GPA? If >3.0, just rock the LSAT and accept your GPA is going to limit you at the top echelons (HYSCCN likely).

There aren't any magic fixes here. You can't make those grades disappear. They will haunt you when you apply. It doesn't have to be a killer if this is really what you want.

You can't make a bad GPA go away. You can, however, kill the LSAT, work on the rest of your app, and figure out how to maximize your chances of a good outcome. Worry less about the things you can't control and focus more on the things you can.

Thank you for the wisdom. My current GPA is a 3.0, which from my understanding is horrible and makes me below the competitive market at this point. I will do my best to ace the LSAT and get some killer LOR's. Do they regulations and rules for including all institutions change from time to time?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:27 am

janicet84 wrote:
Ramius wrote:
janicet84 wrote:

Thank you for the wisdom. My current GPA is a 3.0, which from my understanding is horrible and makes me below the competitive market at this point. I will do my best to ace the LSAT and get some killer LOR's. Do they regulations and rules for including all institutions change from time to time?

Never. Sorry but short of actually taking more classes BEFORE your first degree is completed that gpa is going to stick. Just crush the lsat and you'll have decent options.

janicet84

Postby janicet84 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:18 pm

Thank guys!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”