LSAT Score Jump Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
burtstei6

LSAT Score Jump Addendum

Postby burtstei6 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:43 pm

I took June 2013 LSAT as a junior in undergrad and got a 160 (far below what I was hoping for), but I applied for the 2014 cycle anyways and got waitlisted at WUSTL. After not being taken off the waitlist, I decided to retake in December 2014 and ended up scoring a 171, which I think is a pretty accurate reflection of my abilities. After reading a quote from a University of Chicago Dean, I thought it might be a good idea to write an addendum explaining my 11 point score jump, or rather that most top schools want one. Is this true? I have a 3.5 with pretty solid softs (State Supreme Court LOR) and other Letters and I'm applying to most of the T14's, hoping admissions this year will be in my favor, but I am very confused about whether or not to write a score addendum. Can anyone offer some advice to me?

Paul Campos

Re: LSAT Score Jump Addendum

Postby Paul Campos » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:01 pm

Deans say what they say because they're trying to make you feel like they're doing you some huge favor by accepting $150,000 from you.

FAQ for applicants:

Should I write an addendum?

No.

Should I write a diversity statement?

No.

Do I have strong softs?

No.

Should I attend X at sticker?

No.

Can I get a job helping third world children if I go to X?

No.

Should I retake the LSAT?

Yes.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:03 pm

burtstei6 wrote:I took June 2013 LSAT as a junior in undergrad and got a 160 (far below what I was hoping for), but I applied for the 2014 cycle anyways and got waitlisted at WUSTL. After not being taken off the waitlist, I decided to retake in December 2014 and ended up scoring a 171, which I think is a pretty accurate reflection of my abilities. After reading a quote from a University of Chicago Dean, I thought it might be a good idea to write an addendum explaining my 11 point score jump, or rather that most top schools want one. Is this true? I have a 3.5 with pretty solid softs (State Supreme Court LOR) and other Letters and I'm applying to most of the T14's, hoping admissions this year will be in my favor, but I am very confused about whether or not to write a score addendum. Can anyone offer some advice to me?

Law school admissions is rather different than college admissions. With the exception of perhaps two schools, recommendations carry little weight. The same goes for other softs. In terms of a score addendum, there is really no need for you to write one. The common wisdom is that schools will already know the answer simply in virtue of the lack of an addendum. If you had a medical emergency, then of course, write one. But there is no need to write one saying you studied poorly before and better this time.

also - you might want to play around with this website to get an idea of your competitiveness.

http://mylsn.info/m46k9d/

burtstei6

Postby burtstei6 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:06 pm

Thanks for the advice, but I also should have specified it was the Dean of the U Chi Law School...not undergrad.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:10 pm

burtstei6 wrote:Thanks for the advice, but I also should have specified it was the Dean of the U Chi Law School...not undergrad.

Yes. Several of them say that on their respective websites. The conventional wisdom of years of applicants is that if you don't really have a good excuse, then don't write an addendum. If you want to do it, and it seems like you do, then go for it. You probably won't get too much help here on writing it. But if you feel the need to do it for peace of mind, then absolutely. It's your application.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”