Very low GPA but did well in law classes. Does it matter?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xonimi

Very low GPA but did well in law classes. Does it matter?

Postby xonimi » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:27 pm

My UG GPA is very low. 2.98 to be exact. My LSAC GPA is even lower, 2.95. Unfortunately, I don't have a consistent upward grade trend. My semester GPAs fluctuated with some higher numbers like 3.4 and 3.8.
My major was Business Law so I took quite a few law classes. I was looking through my transcripts and I noticed that it was primarily a couple GE and complex business classes that screwed up my GPA. The semesters where I did well consisted mostly of law classes.

Do you think it will matter to the AdComm that I did significantly better in those classes?
If so, should I point that out briefly in a short attachment on my application or is that something they would see themselves and would therefore be redundant?

twenty

Re: Very low GPA but did well in law classes. Does it matter?

Postby twenty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:35 pm

It will matter about as much as what your favorite color is.

LSAC-calculated GPA and LSAT score. One's bad, so gotta kill it on the other. Good luck.

zugzwanger

Postby zugzwanger » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:37 pm

It's probably more realistic to assume that the bottom line is what matters. You can tell them and it's unlikely to hurt you in anyway, but they are still going to see you on the 25%/75% range, which will never reflect you having done better in a particular subset of classes.

One thing I'll tell you though that is good to say (down the road), if you did well in your law classes it's a good way to talk during interviews about one of the reasons you considered law. I took some business law classes in undergrad and that seemed to resonate well as long as it is not your sole reason.

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:53 pm

zugzwanger wrote:
One thing I'll tell you though that is good to say (down the road), if you did well in your law classes it's a good way to talk during interviews about one of the reasons you considered law. I took some business law classes in undergrad and that seemed to resonate well as long as it is not your sole reason.

I'd do this as a way to subtly bring up the fact you did better in the relevant classes. It won't hurt, and it might help. Even if it doesn't, it lets you say you did well in the relevant classes without hurting yourself.

The final LSAC GPA is what will matter to them more than law classes, though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”