Scholarship Negotiation Timing

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dontdoitkid

Scholarship Negotiation Timing

Postby dontdoitkid » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Looking for advice about the timing of my negotiating. I just got my December LSAT back (4th and final take but I went 153 -> 163 ->164 -> 167 so I'm happy even if I didn't break 170), and have been accepted to the school where I ultimately want to go. However, in addition to the regular scholarship negotiating that I plan on doing, I am wondering if I should introduce my new LSAT into the equation earlier on, or when I send out the negotiation emails. Right now I was given 20,000/year with a 164 (slightly above median) and a 3.76 (above 75th) but the 167 would put me above the 75th in each of those categories.

In short, should I:

A: Contact the school now to update them with my new LSAT score, see if that can get me more scholarship money, and then use that as a further jumping off point for negotiating using scholarships from other schools when they come in, or:

B: Just wait until I have the offers from other schools and introduce my new LSAT score alongside the other offers.

Thanks for your time

KMart

Re: Scholarship Negotiation Timing

Postby KMart » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:45 pm

I'd do A. Get the most money from schools off the best LSAT you have, then negotiate other school's offers against each other. Some schools will even match scholarship offers.

WichitaShocker

Re: Scholarship Negotiation Timing

Postby WichitaShocker » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:46 pm

I would notify them of your new LSAT score immediately. I would not mention a scholarship increase yet though. ( they may increase it without prompt)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”