3.72 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM + decent softs?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Oskosh

3.72 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM + decent softs?

Postby Oskosh » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering what suggestions you had for me with respect to applications. I took the December LSAT, and I did great; however, I know for sure that nerves got the best of me (given that I knew that I bombed the carpet game, which was confirmed yesterday...)... My softs are that I have been a teacher for two years, have undertaken some leadership roles in that capacity...

The quandary is that I could have been in 170 range, and I can be if I retake in June. I got a -2 and -3 in the LR sections, and totally bombed the LG with a -9. This was mainly because of timing issues/getting really stressed out during the 3rd logic game and skipping right the 4th.

I am wanting to do T6 law schools... My problem is mostly existential. I did TFA, and I've already taken 2 years off. Although I wouldn't mind staying in the classroom for a 3rd year, I'd feel as if I were too old to be entering law school at 24... :/

twenty

Re: 3.72 GPA, 165 LSAT, URM + decent softs?

Postby twenty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:34 pm

1) With no question, retake in Feb no matter what you end up doing.
2) I'd be very surprised if you didn't get something north of Penn with those numbers (assuming you're AA URM)
3) 24 is not too old. More than half of the entering class for HLS took 2+ years off after undergrad, so 24-25 is right around average as far as age goes.

Scoring 5 points below your PTs is a pretty big drop, and it makes sense to retake even if you only get it up to a 167 or so. You're in a crucial range where 3-4 points could mean the difference between NYU at sticker and Stanford. I wouldn't rush this.

Oskosh

Postby Oskosh » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:44 pm

Oh sorry, forgot to say Mexican-American URM.

I don't want to retake in February. This would be my last change within this two year period, so I would want to do June to really work on minute details, like timing in RC and LG (my timing for LR was off the charts).

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:21 pm

Yeah, doubling down on the "don't rush into anything" sentiment. Apply to some schools (particularly those that give you fee waivers), and if you like what you see, then go. If not, come back next cycle with a better LSAT score.

Oskosh

Postby Oskosh » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks a lot for your help!! :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”