Can International Students (F-1) Apply to Part-Time JD?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sno7

Can International Students (F-1) Apply to Part-Time JD?

Postby sno7 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:43 am

International students are required to take 9 hrs or more per semester, and, from what I understand, schools let part-time students take more than 9 credits per semester.

Since GULC is like the only school w/ a part-time program worth applying to... does anyone know if int. applicants under F-1 can apply to GULC's part-time program?

Thanks,

twenty

Re: Can International Students (F-1) Apply to Part-Time JD?

Postby twenty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:14 am

1) First year PT classes (section 7) meet during the afternoons as a section. You can't take non-required classes until you take the required "1L" curriculum first, which is technically divided into two years. You might be able to pull this off your 3rd and 4th year, but definitely not your first.
2) If you're thinking you're going to go for GULC PT because it's LSAT medians are lower, think again. GULC PT has a 4-5% acceptance rate, and are primarily going for government/PI executives that have tons of money to throw down on a GULC degree. They offer almost nothing in terms of scholarships for this program (which is saying a lot, since GULC is already fairly stingy with scholarship money). Furthermore, as an international student, you won't be able to work full time while you're in school in order to offset your costs. You also won't qualify for federal loans, which means when all's said and done, you will likely owe roughly 400k dollars to a private lender, which means you can't take advantage of PAYE.

For the right person, GULC PT is one of the best law school choices you can make. For the wrong person, it's one of the worst choices you can make. You are unquestioningly the wrong person. Don't apply here.

sno7

Postby sno7 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:34 am

Wow. Thanks for the honest opinion. I guess I should apply to full-time. (I still haven't gotten an answer to my question, though...)

twenty

Postby twenty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:56 am

I thought I did, but I'll be more clear. No, you can't take more than the "part time load" at least your first year, because you'll be part of a section, (in fact the only part time session), and the other classes you could otherwise take either won't be available to you as a 1L, or else won't be offered at all.

sno7

Postby sno7 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:11 am

Oh right you did, actually. Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”