Do Law Schools Care About you Getting in Trouble?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mattf

Do Law Schools Care About you Getting in Trouble?

Postby mattf » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Last semester I had a party in my apartment (which also happened to be owned and rented out by the university) and it got busted. I got a warning from the police and had to have a hearing with the Department of Residence. Do I have to disclose this to law schools and if so do they care?

BillsFan9907

Re: Do Law Schools Care About you Getting in Trouble?

Postby BillsFan9907 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:15 pm

mattf wrote:Last semester I had a party in my apartment (which also happened to be owned and rented out by the university) and it got busted. I got a warning from the police and had to have a hearing with the Department of Residence. Do I have to disclose this to law schools and if so do they care?

It depends on what you are asked. Some might require disclosure only if you were sanctions - not just investigated. Even if you do disclose, nobody will care that you had a party. You won't be viewed in a bad light because of it.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:49 pm

should be fine. no need to disclose.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:53 pm

FWIW - I got in trouble for the same thing sort of. Threw a party in undergrad that got busted. I wrote a few sentences in my disclosure. Nobody seemed to care in admissions.

mattf

Postby mattf » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Seoulless wrote:
mattf wrote:Last semester I had a party in my apartment (which also happened to be owned and rented out by the university) and it got busted. I got a warning from the police and had to have a hearing with the Department of Residence. Do I have to disclose this to law schools and if so do they care?

It depends on what you are asked. Some might require disclosure only if you were sanctions - not just investigated. Even if you do disclose, nobody will care that you had a party. You won't be viewed in a bad light because of it.

My "sanctions" were writing a paper about how I've changed my alcohol consumption since the issue. Is that grounds for having to disclose it to them if they want to know about what happened if there were sanctions?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:16 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:should be fine. no need to disclose.

You know I appreciate your trolling but saying stuff like this can be harmful. Please don't do that. I agree that it should be fine but saying no need to disclose when you don't have the wording in front of you isn't cool broseph.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Application instructions aren't vague. It sounds like you need to disclose, but it's not a big deal.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:45 am

BigZuck wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:should be fine. no need to disclose.

You know I appreciate your trolling but saying stuff like this can be harmful. Please don't do that. I agree that it should be fine but saying no need to disclose when you don't have the wording in front of you isn't cool broseph.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”