Best schools for DC Metropolitan Area placement

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

Best schools for DC Metropolitan Area placement

Postby BillsFan9907 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:38 pm

What are the best schools for DC Metropolitan area federal clerkships and big law placement? Couldn't find a website covering this.

chuckbass

Re: Best schools for DC Metropolitan Area placement

Postby chuckbass » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Seoulless wrote:What are the best schools for DC Metropolitan area federal clerkships and big law placement? Couldn't find a website covering this.

HYS

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:53 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
Seoulless wrote:What are the best schools for DC Metropolitan area federal clerkships and big law placement? Couldn't find a website covering this.

HYS

Are they miles ahead of CCN in that regard? I understand that if I want to fill my pockets fat, there's no substantial difference between HYS and CCN. Is geographic placement where the BIG DIVERGENCE occur?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:55 pm

Seoulless wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

HYS

Are they miles ahead of CCN in that regard? I understand that if I want to fill my pockets fat, there's no substantial difference between HYS and CCN. Is geographic placement where the BIG DIVERGENCE occur?

HYS are better here. They're the same as CCN if you want NYC biglaw probably.

thatsnotmyname

Postby thatsnotmyname » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:02 am

I actually started a thread on a similar topic earlier this week, that will help you: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=241427

I also found some useful info on this topic in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=228115&hilit=bored+gulc&start=100

According to the information expressed in that thread, at GULC you need to be at least top third to give yourself a shot at DC biglaw and be at least top 15% to be able to have a good chance at DC biglaw. They contrast this to median students having realistic chances of NYC biglaw from GULC.

The link to Columbia's EIW (https://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defa ... s-2012.pdf) results shared in the Georgetown thread was also insightful in showing just how much more difficult it is to land a SA in DC than in NYC. The number of people that the DC firms are taking from Columbia are just really insanely low compared to NYC.

I mean to be able to directly answer your question, based on the input I've received so far it seems that HYS are the only schools that give students reasonable chances of being confident that they'll be able to obtain DC biglaw. It looks like Columbia and NYU actually lose a lot of their edge over the rest of the T14 when it comes to DC placement and I'd bet that Chicago does as well.

Like I pointed out, in my other thread GULC, Duke, and UVA all place a rather large portion of their classes in DC but this probably has a lot to do with students who wanted DC in the first place moreso self selected towards these schools anyways since they're geographically closest. Penn is also geographically close but I think their statistics show most of their students ending up in NYC, probably again due to most of them targeting the northeast.

So, essentially HYS are miles ahead of everyone else in terms of DC placement. Everyone else should only feel comfortable that DC biglaw might be an option for them if they are top 15% or so at the rest of the T14.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:05 am

Also lol at metropolitan area. Trying to get a biglaw job in Rockville?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:27 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Also lol at metropolitan area. Trying to get a biglaw job in Rockville?

It's all about Tysons, bro. 495 is TEEMING with BIGLAW.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:04 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Also lol at metropolitan area. Trying to get a biglaw job in Rockville?

I actually know where that is. When we visited DC last when I was in high school, my grandmother dragged us to one of these Korean mega churches in the MD Suburbs. Back in our area she belonged to a retirement community linked somehow to the church.

Let me rephrase - by "metropolitan area" (and I have no clue why i said that in retrospect) - I meant judicial clerkships for courts that have jurisdiction in the surrounding areas.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:05 pm

Seoulless wrote:

I actually know where that is. When we visited DC last when I was in high school, my grandmother dragged us to one of these Korean mega churches in the MD Suburbs.

Let me rephrase - by "metropolitan area" (and I have no clue why i said that in retrospect) - I meant judicial clerkships for courts that have jurisdiction in the surrounding areas.

If you want a federal clerkship, then Y>S>H.

Hand

Postby Hand » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:38 pm

Seoulless wrote:When we visited DC last when I was in high school, my grandmother dragged us to one of these Korean mega churches in the MD Suburbs.

Just another white dude wanting to write a diversity statement about being dragged to a Korean mega church by his grandmother

lapolicia

Postby lapolicia » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Ramius wrote:

It's all about Tysons, bro. 495 is TEEMING with BIGLAW.

There actually is a (small) biglaw market in Northern Virginia that's distinct from DC. It's pretty tiny though.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”