What to say in an email asking for a LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlexandraHope

What to say in an email asking for a LOR?

Postby AlexandraHope » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:22 pm

:)
Thanks in advance.

dontdoitkid

Re: What to say in an email asking for a LOR?

Postby dontdoitkid » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:37 pm

In my opinion there are two main approaches, and it comes down to whether with your relationship with that individual is current (as opposed to having lost contact).

A: If current, give them plenty of time, ask in person if possible, but keep it pretty simple. A lot of professors and (sometimes) employers will sometimes offer these in class or other settings, so you'll know if you're in a position to get one easier.

B: If you haven't spoken to the individual in a while, you want to make it little more formal and less direct. Perhaps you are looking for career advise and would like their opinion over a cup of coffee or something. You can ask directly but sometimes it helps to make a little more effort in reconnecting. If nothing else you'll help them write a more personal and reflective LOR by doing so.

DrSpaceman

Postby DrSpaceman » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:04 pm

You should definitely ask in person, if possible. I brought my materials (writing sample, resume, draft of personal statement) with me in my bag when I approached him during office hours. Once he accepted, I was ready with everything he needed to write it. Be professional.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:42 pm

Just be like "Yo dawg...I heard u waz gonna write me dat dope letter o' recomendo!"

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Say that you're applying to law school, ask if they would be willing to write you a letter of recommendation, and if so, if there's a good time that you could stop by their office to talk about it.

Then bring your materials when you meet with them.

KMart

Postby KMart » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:53 pm

Dany wrote:Say that you're applying to law school, ask if they would be willing to write you a letter of recommendation, and if so, if there's a good time that you could stop by their office to talk about it.

This is how I did it (although none said they needed to meet with me). They were professors I just had so it's not like they didn't know me as a student and person. I offered to meet or have them call me if need be.

My third was my employer and I asked in person.

bretby

Postby bretby » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:26 pm

imKMart wrote:
Dany wrote:Say that you're applying to law school, ask if they would be willing to write you a letter of recommendation, and if so, if there's a good time that you could stop by their office to talk about it.

This is how I did it (although none said they needed to meet with me). They were professors I just had so it's not like they didn't know me as a student and person. I offered to meet or have them call me if need be.

My third was my employer and I asked in person.

As someone who has written more than a few letters of rec for law school, I would advise against providing the personal statement. I have never found it helpful - what is more helpful is a copy of the paper(s) you wrote for their class, preferably the one you received back with the grade and comments, a resume and, if asking over email, a brief (2-3 sentence) statement about why you are interested in law school. If you give professors too much material of marginal utility (such as drafts of a personal statement) it makes the chore of doing the letter seem that much greater. And though we love to write letters for the students we connected with, it is a chore.

Also - MOST IMPORTANTLY - give them A LOT of lead time. At least one month. Any less than that and they will be annoyed. Trust me.

eta: Also send a reminder email one week before the due date (or the date you would like it submitted to LSAC, keeping in mind the turnaround time on LSAC's end)

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:36 pm

call them and use a soundboard

Postby 20160810 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:13 am

Please find attached certain photos of my genitalia

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”