reapplication or deferring

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
appind

reapplication or deferring

Postby appind » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:28 pm

I couldn't find concrete info through search on this issue. Thoughts?

It is suggested that politely withdrawing from a seat and reapplying would result in an accept again at any school. Since many t14s have a lot of choice in who they pick, not sure if it's true for all t14 schools.

After signing a binding deferment can one cancel the contract by notifying the deferring school? It seems one can reapply to the same and other schools without the original deferment being an issue. there are some threads that say that schools don't hold withdrawal against the reapp.

Why do people withdraw from WL of their choice schools once they get accept at some other school? It can be draining to stay on the wl but there doesn't seem to be any downside to staying on. One could always withdraw after being accepted.

Rigo

Re: reapplication or deferring

Postby Rigo » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:41 pm

I don't understand why you would defer and reapply though. If you intend to just reapply and you don't want that school, then withdrawing is the way to go.

And other people make rational financial decisions and that's why they withdraw from WL's.

Overall, I'm confused as to what you're specifically asking. If this isn't a hypothetical, can you please tell us about your situation and why you're thinking about deferring or withdrawing?

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:52 pm

appind wrote:After signing a binding deferment can one cancel the contract by notifying the deferring school? It seems one can reapply to the same and other schools without the original deferment being an issue. there are some threads that say that schools don't hold withdrawal against the reapp.

You can't cancel a binding deferment and then applying to other schools that same cycle.

It's called "binding" deferment for a reason.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:52 pm

appind wrote:I couldn't find concrete info through search on this issue. Thoughts?

It is suggested that politely withdrawing from a seat and reapplying would result in an accept again at any school. Since many t14s have a lot of choice in who they pick, not sure if it's true for all t14 schools.

Yes. This is the case. All the schools I politely passed on in year 1 admitted me again in year 2.

appind wrote:After signing a binding deferment can one cancel the contract by notifying the deferring school? It seems one can reapply to the same and other schools without the original deferment being an issue. there are some threads that say that schools don't hold withdrawal against the reapp.

You cannot cancel a binding agreement unless you cancel on law school all together for that year.

appind wrote: Why do people withdraw from WL of their choice schools once they get accept at some other school? It can be draining to stay on the wl but there doesn't seem to be any downside to staying on. One could always withdraw after being accepted.

Some people stay on the WL even though they do not plan to attend that cycle so that they can show interest by staying on the WL until the end. Then, when they next cycle comes around, the school will have little doubt in their interest. A lot of the top schools don't outright admit off the waitlist. Instead, they will give you a call to ask if you would attend if accepted. It's yield protection.

appind

Postby appind » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:46 pm

You cannot cancel a binding agreement unless you cancel on law school all together for that year.

not sure how canceling school only for that year makes a difference. it should probably either affect for a few years or not affect at other schools at all. the only place where breaking the binding contract should make any difference is at the school one broke the contract with. but one school can't affect or take actions that affect your application to other schools. i think there is an lsac rule against schools doing that. If someone defers at a school in June and then retakes and gets improves score back in july or oct, then wouldn't it may make sense for one to reapply widely?

Some people stay on the WL even though they do not plan to attend that cycle so that they can show interest by staying on the WL until the end. Then, when they next cycle comes around, the school will have little doubt in their interest. A lot of the top schools don't outright admit off the waitlist. Instead, they will give you a call to ask if you would attend if accepted. It's yield protection.

it seems reasonable that everyone would remain on the WL of the their reaches and not withdraw. But the applicant threads contain a lot of cases where applicants withdrew from reach schools once they got into a target school. why? e.g. one withdrew from Y after getting into one of the t6 without money.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:04 pm

appind wrote:

not sure how canceling school only for that year makes a difference. it should probably either affect for a few years or not affect at other schools at all. the only place where breaking the binding contract should make any difference is at the school one broke the contract with. but one school can't affect or take actions that affect your application to other schools. i think there is an lsac rule against schools doing that. If someone defers at a school in June and then retakes and gets improves score back in july or oct, then wouldn't it may make sense for one to reapply widely?

Deferrals are binding. Schools don't have to offer them; if you get a deferral from a school (from starting in 2015 to starting in 2016), you're committing to attend that school in 2016. If then decide to apply elsewhere in the 2015-16 cycle, the school that deferred you can (and probably will) rescind your acceptance, and can tell other schools, who can also rescind your acceptance/choose not to accept you. A deferral is a binding contract in a way that a seat deposit isn't, so it's not the same as getting into School X, putting down a seat deposit and X, riding School Y's waitlist, and then withdrawing from X when you get into Y. It's an exception to the rule that schools can't take actions to affect your applications at other schools.

As for why people withdraw: maybe they honestly don't care any more and want to make a decision and be done. Not everything is strategic.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:44 pm

Hey great idea, let's sign break contracts in an attempt to start a legal career! Brilliant!

Deferrals aren't automatic and many schools will want a good reason for deferring, usually a medical or short term professional opportunity. I want to play the field and try to trade up isn't a good reason. Also many schools offer non binding deferrals.

Also your insistence is unsettling. How you gonna try to argue that a binding contract isn't or shouldn't be binding?

appind

Postby appind » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:52 pm

your lack of real world experience is unsettling. comprehend more, the issue is not that the binding contract isn't binding but whether schools consider letting the applicant leave the contract.

they can have reasons to do so. there are cases where people withdrew after a deferral and went through the repeat application process.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:01 am

appind wrote:your lack of real world experience is unsettling. comprehend more, the issue is not that the binding contract isn't binding but whether schools consider letting the applicant leave the contract.

they can have reasons to do so. there are cases where people withdrew after a deferral and went through the repeat application process.

Yeah my lack of experience, turns out I took a deferral, and ended up at a different school, difference is I made sure it wasn't binding first. I hope you learn ethics wherever you end up, it's not about the likelihood of enforcement, it's about signing a contract in bad faith...

appind

Postby appind » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:20 am

Yeah my lack of experience, turns out I took a deferral, and ended up at a different school, difference is I made sure it wasn't binding first. I hope you learn ethics wherever you end up, it's not about the likelihood of enforcement, it's about signing a contract in bad faith...

you are an idiot for throwing words like ethics you appear to know nothing about. your statement of how your ethics trumps everyone else's is asinine and stop pretending you are better there than others. and remember to go to the police station to get yourself a ticket next time you even think of going thirty one in a thirty mile road.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:36 am

Dude, you need to calm down. Why are you even asking about deferring if you don't need any answers?

appind

Postby appind » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:59 pm

huh, yea pointing out someone who only jumped in to shit on others is exactly that. oh wait, this is tls.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:03 am

Telling you your idea is bad is not the same as shitting on you.

appind

Postby appind » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:05 am

definitely tls :roll:

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:20 am

This again? Look I'm sorry for my tone, I was just stressing the importance of not doing this. Genuinely just looking out.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”