Is Vandy a bad school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlexandraHope

Is Vandy a bad school?

Postby AlexandraHope » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Even though I am not applying until next cycle I believe that my list of schools that I want to apply for is set in stone. I'm applying to Vandy, Duke, and my undergrad school. With Vandy being number one-since it is Nashville and so close to home. I know it is right outside of the T14, but does that really make it a bad school?

So I guess what I'm asking is what are y'alls opinions on Vandy?

Kratos

Re: Is Vandy a bad school?

Postby Kratos » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:05 pm

there another recent thread on this exact topic. but no it's not a bad school, nor is the conventional wisdom here that it's t-14 and then everything else are bad schools. depends on what your goals are, scholarship you get, and where you want to practice.

you're only applying to 3 law schools? seems like a silly decision imo

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:06 pm

Definitely not a bad school. But to follow what Kratos said, it depends on your goals/costs. If you want SF biglaw, I would say Vandy wouldn't be a good choice. If you wanted biglaw in Birmingham, Vandy is a great choice (assuming cost is reasonable).

anonid

Postby anonid » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:13 pm

Kratos wrote:you're only applying to 3 law schools? seems like a silly decision imo

Unless you're above both 75ths at these schools and have a really good reason for staying so close to home (I assume/hope you went to Emory), you need to fatten up the list: 5 schools minimum. I applied to 4 last cycle and really underestimated myself (didn't have a good idea of what it took to get in at some schools/how to boost my LSAT score). Anyway, I'm still on TLS, so don't be like me.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:20 pm

AlexandraHope wrote:Even though I am not applying until next cycle I believe that my list of schools that I want to apply for is set in stone. I'm applying to Vandy, Duke, and my undergrad school. With Vandy being number one-since it is Nashville and so close to home. I know it is right outside of the T14, but does that really make it a bad school?

So I guess what I'm asking is what are y'alls opinions on Vandy?

1) Read the stickied thread at the top of this forum. Apply to more schools if for no other reason than negotiating with Duke, Vandy, and your undergrad.

2) No, Vandy is not a bad school, but it is very expensive. You need to be clear on your career goals, including where you want to practice, before deciding on applying to any school.

3) The T14 is a stupid concept. The T14 or bust attitude is likewise stupid. Vandy has far more in common with Georgetown than Georgetown has with Harvard (as an example).

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:09 pm

As said above, at the least apply to more schools to help with negotiating for scholarships.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:35 am

It's better than almost every other law school in the country save 15 or so.

If you are biglaw or bust tho yes it is a "bad" school. If you are taking out loans for sticker it is a bad school.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”