Worth It? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bym819

New

Worth It?

Post by bym819 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:36 am

I'm currently a junior at a state university with a 3.2 GPA, URM, LSAT:? I came into college a semester ahead with AP work, and dual enrollment and am graduating December 2015. My parents pushed me to apply to FSU's 3+3 program where you basically start law school your senior year and do a sort of joint-degree BA/JD, I started writing personal statements, and took the LSAT this past December, I know I didn't do well, and am waiting on Jan 5. but I'm averaging on practice test with 152ish, (without any study aids) so we'll see. I'm aiming for a 165, and know I can do it, I just need to practice...

Anywho main question: Freshman year first semester I slacked off big time; ended up with 3Cs, a D, and 2 Bs, brought me to a 2.0 and I've been struggling to get it back up. I don't know why I thought to take 6 classes, but I did. I earned a D for getting a 0 on a paper, when writing a paper I was clueless about I used some information from a Myspace page yeah I know stupid, I didn't think to cite it or that it needed to be. I didn't fight it because I know I did it, I just signed off and didn't tell anyone. My grades since then have been As and Bs with one C in Econ. I know I have to disclose it. But still how bad do you think that will hurt. My goal school is Boston University/ Boston College. But my focus would probably br public litigation; and every lawyer I've spoken too (I work at a law firm) has A). Told me not to go to law school B.) If I do want to go to law school, go somewhere cheap, and wherever gives me the most money. I'm taking a lighter course load these next semesters 12hrs, and focusing on LSAT prep to take in June/October.

tl;dr

Will having plagiarized my freshman year from a Myspace page combined with a 3.2 GPA be extremely detrimental on applications?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: Worth It?

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:16 am

Yes, academic dishonesty (from myspace of all places.....) is a very big deal. Best thing for you would be to a) never do that again b) get As from now on and c) get a job after college and work for awhile before considering law school. It'll help if you take some time to mature and put some more distance between you and your Myspace episode (seriously, MySpace still exists? And you considered actually citing if?)

mmelittlechicken

Gold

Post by mmelittlechicken » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:31 pm

How does one plagiarize from myspace?

bym819

New

Post by bym819 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:47 pm

My parents (paying for my first year of law school) won't "allow" me to take a year off and work/volunteer/intern. And someone posted an analysis of a novel and I took bits and pieces out of it and put into my essay and expound upon it. Lol yeah, no its was 2012 so Myspace wasn't exactly a "thing"

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Post by WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Last edited by WhiskeyAndCupcakes on Fri May 29, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:52 pm

I used rhetoric from goatse comments in my analysis of the constitutionality of srone strikes and almost got booted from lawl school. Feel your pain, man

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”