Relevant Class vs. Better GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mattf

Relevant Class vs. Better GPA

Postby mattf » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:22 pm

I'm majoring in Chemistry so I thought it would be prudent to take a few government/law classes throughout my undergrad years so that I know exactly what I'm getting into. Anyways, I'm taking a Law and Politics classes this semester and next semester I'm taking a Constitutional Law class.

I've heard this Constitutional Law class is treated very similarly to a law class (a lot is expected of you, teacher calls upon students randomly and often throughout the semester, etc.) and is very time-consuming/hard to obtain a good grade. I think I would be really interested in the class and I think it would be a good class for me to take so I have some experience in classes related to law but is it worth taking if it would mean not getting an amazing grade in it?

Username123

Re: Relevant Class vs. Better GPA

Postby Username123 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:29 pm

mattf wrote:I'm majoring in Chemistry so I thought it would be prudent to take a few government/law classes throughout my undergrad years so that I know exactly what I'm getting into. Anyways, I'm taking a Law and Politics classes this semester and next semester I'm taking a Constitutional Law class.

I've heard this Constitutional Law class is treated very similarly to a law class (a lot is expected of you, teacher calls upon students randomly and often throughout the semester, etc.) and is very time-consuming/hard to obtain a good grade. I think I would be really interested in the class and I think it would be a good class for me to take so I have some experience in classes related to law but is it worth taking if it would mean not getting an amazing grade in it?

No. Take the classes you're going to get good grades in. A 4.0 in basket weaving is a 4.0 in admissions' eyes.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:47 pm

Does your school do pass/fail grades? You can always take that option a couple times if you want to protect your gpa.

KMart

Postby KMart » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:51 am

GPA: it's a numbers game. The relevant classes are nice in a sense that you can get a feel for the material and test your interests, but I'd rather just take the easy A if that was an option.

Skool

Postby Skool » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:14 am

lol, OP. This is all good advice for getting into a top law school.

Pay attention to the fact that the credited response for success in the admissions game is to distance yourself from intellectual curiosity if it requires risk taking.

Ask yourself: does this sound like the prelude to good things in the future? Hint: it isn't.

hillz

Postby hillz » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:31 am

OP, if you decide not to take the Constitutional Law class you should consider doing some outside work either next semester or when you have time for your own intellectual curiosity's sake. Coursera & edX are online learning platforms that often have relevant classes (for free) taught by superstar professors. I've taken a few classes myself outside of my job, and it's been really nice to learn something + talk to other students across the world.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:02 pm

One of my coworkers went to Harvard Law after being a french art history major in college, and got a 4.0.

It sucks, but law schools don't look at the courses that you took in calculating your GPA, or to some extent, what undergrad you even went to. Gotta learn to play the game.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Skool wrote:lol, OP. This is all good advice for getting into a top law school.

Pay attention to the fact that the credited response for success in the admissions game is to distance yourself from intellectual curiosity if it requires risk taking.

Ask yourself: does this sound like the prelude to good things in the future? Hint: it isn't.

good post

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:27 pm

encore1101 wrote:One of my coworkers went to Harvard Law after being a french art history major in college, and got a 4.0.

It sucks, but law schools don't look at the courses that you took in calculating your GPA, or to some extent, what undergrad you even went to. Gotta learn to play the game.

Why does it suck and why would you begrudge her that?

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:38 pm

BigZuck wrote:
encore1101 wrote:One of my coworkers went to Harvard Law after being a french art history major in college, and got a 4.0.

I don't begrudge her at all. Odd that you'd think that. I think if you know you're going to law school, its the smart thing to do.

It sucks because someone with a higher GPA in an "easy" major is on better footing than someone with a slightly lower GPA in a more difficult major.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:43 pm

BigZuck wrote:

I agree with this sentiment. Basically everything in life is a game; this is just a game that some of us are well suited for. If getting very high grades and standardized test scores isn't your thing, get on a career path that doesn't revolve around getting very high grades and standardized test scores. Go be a banker or an engineer or something and let the rest of us enjoy the fact that law doesn't require a preftigious undergrad school, prestigious internships, a STEM major, etc.

Skool

Postby Skool » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:53 pm

RZ5646 wrote:
I agree with this sentiment. Basically everything in life is a game; this is just a game that some of us are well suited for. If getting very high grades and standardized test scores isn't your thing, get on a career path that doesn't revolve around getting very high grades and standardized test scores. Go be a banker or an engineer or something and let the rest of us enjoy the fact that law doesn't require a preftigious undergrad school, prestigious internships, a STEM major, etc.

Nietzsche wrote: What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.'

I mean this in the least glib way possible: Get a life.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”