leaving a job on bad terms

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CaliKid14

leaving a job on bad terms

Postby CaliKid14 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:14 pm

I left a job a couple years ago by saying I had had enough about an hour before my shift ended, however I may have also added in some colorful words on my way out. I have not called back to apologize and now fear that this will hurt me in law school and beyond. So my question is what effect will this have on my chances of becoming a lawyer?

twenty

Re: leaving a job on bad terms

Postby twenty » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Obviously your old employer has been following your life so closely that they're going to call Harvard right before they make a decision on your application and inform them that you said naughty words when you quit a job. And then all the law schools will talk to eachother about that one guy who quit a shift job on bad terms, because that has never happened in the history of law school admissions before.

CaliKid14

Postby CaliKid14 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:27 pm

So your saying it wont have any affect on my applications or C&F?

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:29 pm

I seriously doubt it will harm you, especially if this was retail or something like McDonald's instead of a "professional" job.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Why can't you just apologize? It'll show character. Don't mention the law school thing, because s/he'll either think you think you're above them or aren't sincere. Apologizing can only benefit you here.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:41 pm

yea don't tell them why you're apologizing. let them assume you're in a 12 step program

pylon

Postby pylon » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:40 am

CaliKid14 wrote:I left a job a couple years ago by saying I had had enough about an hour before my shift ended, however I may have also added in some colorful words on my way out. I have not called back to apologize and now fear that this will hurt me in law school and beyond. So my question is what effect will this have on my chances of becoming a lawyer?

Lol in what way could you not apologizing hurt you in law school and beyond? If it was some prestigious gig then maybe networking in the future, but apologizing won't help. And it definitely won't have an impact on C&F. You're fine.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:51 am

I used to do pre-employment background checks, and OP, what you describe is definitely considered leaving on bad terms. If your future legal employer wants to verify everything on your resume including all your past employment, this will likely come up during the background check.

If they give you a form and you have to give your reason for leaving, just say "resigned." They will most likely just want confirm that you quit and ask if it was on good terms, the HR department will say yes you quit, but no it wasn't on good terms, and they may or may not be authorized to give more details.

But shit happens, and people understand that. It might raise a bit of a red flag, but as long as there's no pattern of impulsive behaviour, you should be fine.

mickey_mouse

Postby mickey_mouse » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:07 pm

Yea dude I left on bad terms from my previous company, later went back and apologized and my former boss ended up writing me a rec for my current job. It never hurts.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:24 pm

CaliKid14 wrote:I left a job a couple years ago by saying I had had enough about an hour before my shift ended, however I may have also added in some colorful words on my way out. I have not called back to apologize and now fear that this will hurt me in law school and beyond. So my question is what effect will this have on my chances of becoming a lawyer?

You won't graduate for another three to four years. You left a couple of years ago. Thus, if it was an hourly job, they probably won't even work there. Nonetheless, this isn't an issue. I know people who were fired and still got licensed as lawyers.

encore1101

Postby encore1101 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:00 pm

I got fired from from a job during undergrad after the janitor accused me (falsely) of manipulating my time card.

My boss fired me on the second floor of our campus center area. He told me what I happened, and I let loose with some colorful expletives. I may have also tore off my shirt uniform and threw it over the balcony.

Since then, I've had to contact them for employment verification for the bar and my current job. When I spoke to HR, they have no idea of the events that transpired. They sent me a letter that reflects their records which states, simply "So-and-so worked from this date to this date."

Shrug. I think you're fine.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:53 pm

encore1101 wrote:Shrug. I think you're fine.

I think so too. You weren't fired; you resigned. You probably don't have to mention it at all.

If this was some dumb hourly pizza delivery gig in high school, odds are the people you cussed out don't even work there anymore, and if they do, odds are they've completely forgotten about you. On the off chance it does come up, just say that you recognize it was immature and you've grown up since then. It's not going to torpedo your career or anything.

AReasonableMan

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:44 pm

You should also keep in mind that even if OP did something truly messed up/bad, most businesses won't offer this info up when they get random calls. Doing so can only hurt them and cannot benefit them. Also, if it's retail the odds of the manager being there in a couple years are very low.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”