c&f vague

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
appind

c&f vague

Postby appind » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:03 am

Have you ever been convicted of, or pled guilty or no contest to, any felony or misdemeanor, other than: an arrest or other detention that did not result in a conviction, or in which a conviction was vacated;a first conviction for any of the following misdemeanors: drunkenness, simple assault, speeding, minor traffic violations, affray or disturbance of the peace; or any misdemeanor conviction that occurred more than five years before your application for admission, unless you were also sentenced to imprisonment, or were convicted of any additional offense within the five year period.

Does this exclude multiple traffic violations more than 5 years ago?
Last edited by appind on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whitespider

Re: c&f vague

Postby whitespider » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:06 am

Just disclose. Traffic things won't hurt you, so better safe than sorry.

Assuming traffic violations aren't code for DUIs. I would imagine those could cause serious problems.

appind

Postby appind » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:58 am

No DUI.

jfc could this be any more vague.

is speeding like violations misdemeanor? if one pleads guilty to X and then to Y after a few months, is Y a first offense?

whitespider

Postby whitespider » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:28 am

I literally just put that I had a "few minor traffic violations" and listed a range of years. That's all I put and I haven't had any problems this cycle or requests for more info. It's really not a big deal.

appind

Postby appind » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Minor traffic violations are not felonies/misdemeanors; they are infractions. All are excluded?

the tls is just disclose but looking for the right reading of the this c&f.

ditch digger

Postby ditch digger » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:33 pm

I would ask the Board of Bar Examiners in your jurisdiction. I had a similarly vague question on my application, and the Bard Examiners were quite helpful.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:17 pm

appind wrote:Minor traffic violations are not felonies/misdemeanors; they are infractions. All are excluded?

who the fuck cares dude?

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:23 pm

appind wrote:Minor traffic violations are not felonies/misdemeanors; they are infractions. All are excluded?

Not in all states, all traffic violations in GA for instance are either Misd or Fel.

It sounds like the prompt is you don't have to list traffic stuff more than 5 years old, unless you went to jail and/or you had additional traffic violations within 5 years.

If you never went to jail and they were all OVER 5 years from your application date by that wording you don't have to disclose them. All that said I had a speeding ticket back in 2005, I disclosed that, don't think anyone cared.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:42 pm

Just disclose - nbd unless you have more than 3 I think and definitely nbd if they're all over 5 years ago

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”