Might be getting fired... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Andrew1012

New

Might be getting fired...

Post by Andrew1012 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Don't quote please.

Hello,

Long story short. I graduated from UG 6 months ago and have held full-time work experience since July. However, since high school, I have worked at a large retail store. I have been there for 5-7 years and, since high school, have only worked on major breaks. I kept the job for the discount and just in case I ever needed extra money.

This week, I bought my friend some things at another store with my discount that we were both going to use together. I was caught. Long story short, today I was called into the office during my first day back in months. They told me that I had been caught and had me write my side of the story to HR. They said it will take weeks to process but this might end up in my termination.

I really don't care about this job but it is very nice to have a backup (I still make a nice wage). Should I quit before I get fired if there is a 50/50 chance I get fired? The manager said he was shocked when he got the call because he knew I was a great employee so I don't think there will be much bad blood. I just REALLY don't want something like to hurt my CF.

Thoughts?

UPDATE (post later in the thread)
Andrew1012 wrote:Thanks so much for the advice! Here is how the situation has unfolded:

I went in for my shift on Sunday and I put in my voluntary resignation, terminating my employment with the company on Saturday, Dec 27, after my final shift. I asked if any of this situation would be put on any kind of background checks or anything. His response was that the company is not allowed to give information or a review for a former employee. The only thing this company can say is that "Yes. X worked for our company from Y to Z," that's it. They cannot give any information on WHY that employee left the company and they cannot give any information on if it was on voluntary or involuntary terms.

I texted my manager that night and asked if he put in my resignation forms (so that I can resign before HR fires me, if that is the case). He said that he cannot officially put it into the "system" until after my final shift on Saturday, Dec 27.

I went in the next day and resigned immediately. However, I got all of my shifts covered and wrote up a letter explaining who was covering my final shifts and I had my manager sign and date it so that they cannot fire me for "job abandonment." In addition, I wrote a letter that states the following:
I am voluntarily separating from X as of today, December 22, 2014. This is due to strictly personal reasons as I have been offered another opportunity that begins immediately. X has been a great place to work and I wish its team the best int he future.
My manager signed this, dated this, and I made copies.

As for the underlined, I actually have been offered another opportunity working for a former biglaw lawyer at a firm he is opening up. I technically met with him about this job opportunity a month ago and he said to e-mail him a month from then. I got an e-mail back from him yesterday and he said that I can start working for him. Is that perjury? I assumed it wasn't because it is true, it just isn't put in some kind of formal documentation. We have just been meeting in person and through e-mail.

In addition, I made a copy of my voluntary resignation form with the correct dates. My manager signed it too.

How am I looking now?
Last edited by Andrew1012 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

gatesome

Bronze

Re: Might be getting fired...

Post by gatesome » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:26 pm

Most related C&F/job app questions will ask "Have you ever been fired from a job, or quit after learning you would be fired?"

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:29 pm

To add on to gatesome, it was either my law school app or NY Bar app that asked "Have you ever quit a job to avoid being fired?"

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:33 pm

Wait, unless I'm missing something, I really don't see the issue. YOU bought something with YOUR discount. Is that correct? I would think that it would be immaterial who the end user is. Under this rationale, can you not use your discount to buy gifts for family or friends for the holidays? I worked retail for 5 years as a large box store manager, and I saw this happen all the time and it was a non-issue. It seems like your manager is being a dick or an idiot.

Andrew1012

New

Post by Andrew1012 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:35 pm

rwhyAn wrote:Wait, unless I'm missing something, I really don't see the issue. YOU bought something with YOUR discount. Is that correct? I would think that it would be immaterial who the end user is. Under this rationale, can you not use your discount to buy gifts for family or friends for the holidays? I worked retail for 5 years as a large box store manager, and I saw this happen all the time and it was a non-issue. It seems like your manager is being a dick or an idiot.
He owed me money and I used that money to pay for the stuff. They saw money being exchanged and it didn't give the right impression. I really wasn't trying to scam the store.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:44 pm

This is stupid on the store's end. If you've been a good employee, which you seem to be, I think it's ridiculous that your boss doesn't have your back. I really don't think you have anything to worry about for character and fitness. Since it's a supplemental job that you really don't need, I would almost quit on principle alone at this point, but that's just me.

Andrew1012

New

Post by Andrew1012 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Well that strange thing is that, after working there for so many years, I have seen people get fired. I have NEVER heard of them NOT firing someone right off the bat. They really could have.

I wasn't worried, but now I am. I don't want this to somehow bar me from being a lawyer. Am I freaking out way too much?

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:48 pm

I think you're freaking out too much. Your explanation seems simple enough, so as long as you're forthcoming and honest about the whole situation, I doubt this will affect you later on. It's not as though you shoplifted and got caught.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:23 pm

Andrew1012 wrote:Well that strange thing is that, after working there for so many years, I have seen people get fired. I have NEVER heard of them NOT firing someone right off the bat. They really could have.

I wasn't worried, but now I am. I don't want this to somehow bar me from being a lawyer. Am I freaking out way too much?
I think you'll be okay. You'll have an opportunity to write in your explanation, and this doesn't sound so flagrant as to deny you admission to school or to the bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:24 pm

IDK. If the story you give here is true and you stick to it consistently, whether you're fired or not, you'll probably be fine.

And if your story is true, why not be a little more confident in yourself? You behaved appropriately at every step of the way, right? As long as that's true, the worst case scenario is you lose your job unjustly, you disclose when asked, you tell your story CONVINCINGLY and you become the victim.

anonid

New

Post by anonid » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:37 pm

Andrew1012 wrote:He owed me money and I used that money to pay for the stuff. They saw money being exchanged and it didn't give the right impression. I really wasn't trying to scam the store.
As others have said, even if you do get fired, this is not going to be a roadblock. It's a retail job, you walked into a grey area of employee perks, it was a one-time offense.

Out of curiosity though, Did you exchange cash right in front of the cashier? That would set off my 'stupid' bell more than my 'untrustworthy' bell. I also assume the debt was related to something other than his share of the TV (or whatever) right?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:58 pm

What do you mean that money was exchanged? You made change for him? This story makes little sense as told.

Andrew1012

New

Post by Andrew1012 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:11 am

He gave me the money needed for the purchase in the middle of an aisle. I used that money on a purchase to buy something we were both going to use (it was for his car, for a road trip we were taking). They saw him give the money to me. They saw me use HIS cash on MY purchase.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:15 am

you're acting like you committed a felony or something. if they fire you they fire you. people get fired from retail jobs all the fucking time. no one will even bother to ask.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:25 am

Andrew1012 wrote:Don't quote please.

Hello,

Long story short. I graduated from UG 6 months ago and have held full-time work experience since July. However, since high school, I have worked at a large retail store. I have been there for 5-7 years and, since high school, have only worked on major breaks. I kept the job for the discount and just in case I ever needed extra money.

This week, I bought my friend some things at another store with my discount that we were both going to use together. I was caught. Long story short, today I was called into the office during my first day back in months. They told me that I had been caught and had me write my side of the story to HR. They said it will take weeks to process but this might end up in my termination.

I really don't care about this job but it is very nice to have a backup (I still make a nice wage). Should I quit before I get fired if there is a 50/50 chance I get fired? The manager said he was shocked when he got the call because he knew I was a great employee so I don't think there will be much bad blood. I just REALLY don't want something like to hurt my CF.

Thoughts?
no one cares....Also, if you are trying to be a lawyer, then you would be smart enough to know that nothing you write to HR is in your best interest. They only asked for an explanation to protect their own ass when they fire you. I would quit because they are acting like bitches for a damn hourly retail job. It's christmas, not like you can't find another gig.
Last edited by sparty99 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:28 am

classic

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Andrew1012 wrote:He gave me the money needed for the purchase in the middle of an aisle. I used that money on a purchase to buy something we were both going to use (it was for his car, for a road trip we were taking). They saw him give the money to me. They saw me use HIS cash on MY purchase.
PM me when you want me to delete this quote but...

Couldn't he be giving you money for literally any other reason? How can they show it was specifically for this purchase? Maybe he was paying you back for some other reason and now that the money is technically yours you are using is to purchase something for yourself.

I don't know where you work but this would be the dumbest reason ever to be fired

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:52 pm

yea you should request a jury trial

Andrew1012

New

Post by Andrew1012 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:57 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
Andrew1012 wrote:He gave me the money needed for the purchase in the middle of an aisle. I used that money on a purchase to buy something we were both going to use (it was for his car, for a road trip we were taking). They saw him give the money to me. They saw me use HIS cash on MY purchase.
PM me when you want me to delete this quote but...

Couldn't he be giving you money for literally any other reason? How can they show it was specifically for this purchase? Maybe he was paying you back for some other reason and now that the money is technically yours you are using is to purchase something for yourself.

I don't know where you work but this would be the dumbest reason ever to be fired
Yes. I appealed it yesterday because that was my argument.

Dafaq

Bronze

Post by Dafaq » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:02 pm

Out of curiosity, how much is a store employee discount %?

Is there a limit to how much you can buy?

Username123

Silver

Post by Username123 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:40 pm

If your appeal gets denied, couldn't you just ask that you pay the rest of the price that was discounted? I'm sure they know you weren't trying to game the system, so you could always try to make it right by paying the difference (or have it taken out of your check).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:18 am

On the off chance that you are not trolling (which the fact that you created an account to ask this question suggests):

You are an at-will employee. That means EITHER you OR your employer may terminate your relationship at any time without reason or cause. You will learn this in Contracts.

You absolutely violated your company's employee discount policy. Now you know. Companies have that policy because some people serious exploit their discount.

Your manager is clearly drunk with power, not rational, and either tragically stupid or evil. This is why you should not "pursue" a "career" in retail.

Look for another job, and when you get an offer accept it. Then quit this job. That way if you are ever asked if you were fired or left because you were afraid of being fired, you can answer "No" without perjuring yourself.

C & F is not going to launch an investigation where they comb through seven years of your employment history at Walmart.

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:40 am

B90 wrote: Look for another job, and when you get an offer accept it. Then quit this job. That way if you are ever asked if you were fired or left because you were afraid of being fired, you can answer "No" without perjuring yourself.

C & F is not going to launch an investigation where they comb through seven years of your employment history at Walmart.
I guess you miss the point that a C&F inquiry is about giving truthful answers as opposed to giving answers they can't verify are false. Also, perjury involves willfully making false or misleading statements under oath. So, yes, doing what you said would be perjury if called to testify about it.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:43 am

sparty99 wrote: no one cares....Also, if you are trying to be a lawyer, then you would be smart enough to know that nothing you write to HR is in your best interest. They only asked for an explanation to protect their own ass when they fire you. I would quit because they are acting like bitches for a damn hourly retail job. It's christmas, not like you can't find another gig.
This. All of it.

Just chill, this isn't going to stop you from being a lawyer.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:21 pm

run26.2 wrote:
B90 wrote: Look for another job, and when you get an offer accept it. Then quit this job. That way if you are ever asked if you were fired or left because you were afraid of being fired, you can answer "No" without perjuring yourself.

I guess you miss the point that a C&F inquiry is about giving truthful answers as opposed to giving answers they can't verify are false. Also, perjury involves willfully making false or misleading statements under oath. So, yes, doing what you said would be perjury if called to testify about it.
Nope. You missed the point. If he takes another job, he is leaving for another job. No perjury.

That is why I said he shouldn't quit until he finds another job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”