Kansas Law admissions dean thread discussion thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Birdnals

Re: Kansas Law admissions dean thread discussion thread

Postby Birdnals » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Don't we? It used to be called Bring On The Funny, did it get autopruned?

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Birdnals wrote:Don't we? It used to be called Bring On The Funny, did it get autopruned?

that's really more of a futurelawyer thread

twenty 8

Postby twenty 8 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:13 pm

I’ve been practicing for a year and working cases where I’d be in deep water without the guidance of others (mainly partners). The solo option is much trickier than it looks.
As far as small school deans starting threads, great to have them, but if their job placement is 50/50, they will be made to look like their selling snake oil at +$100k a pop.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Law school dean takes toys, goes home.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:26 am

Hopefully2012 wrote:Yup. In my experience, SBA sponsored loans and community credit union loans (typically the easiest loans to get for a small business) require 2 years of revenues. I don't know why/where the other poster got the idea that small business loans are easy to get or just required a business plan.

I helped run a small startup manufacturing business with solid seed round investments from angels and VCs, business plan developed with the assistance of a major management consulting firm, a solid board, more than $1mm worth of tangible assets with no senior debt obligations and we still had to provide 2 years of revenues before most banks wanted to discuss debt funding. I can't imagine the standard for a solo law firm to be lower, but it's certainly possible. Interested in seeing what jenesaislaw finds out.

Talked to the branch manager today for my local branch of a mid-sized federal credit union. Two years of revenue required. So, not easy in the least at this FCU and there is no reason to suspect it is any different elsewhere.

ratfukr

Postby ratfukr » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:21 pm

Is this, like, a lot, relatively? It feels so weird to see this number alongside some rankings in a little corner of the website surrounded by pictures of smiling people outdoors and males in suits holding forth on various topics in artificial professional settings

About suffering they were never wrong,
The old Masters: how well they understood
Its human position: how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully along;
How, when the aged are reverently, passionately waiting
For the miraculous birth, there always must be
Children who did not specially want it to happen, skating
On a pond at the edge of the wood:
They never forgot
That even the dreadful martyrdom must run its course
Anyhow in a corner, some untidy spot
Where the dogs go on with their doggy life and the torturer's horse
Scratches its innocent behind on a tree.

In Breughel's Icarus, for instance: how everything turns away
Quite leisurely from the disaster; the ploughman may
Have heard the splash, the forsaken cry,
But for him it was not an important failure; the sun shone
As it had to on the white legs disappearing into the green
Water, and the expensive delicate ship that must have seen
Something amazing, a boy falling out of the sky,
Had somewhere to get to and sailed calmly on.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:15 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote: I can't imagine the standard for a solo law firm to be lower, but it's certainly possible.

But didn't you hear that a JD is versatile? Versatile. Just keep repeating that to the bank manager in low, soothing tones until they make you CEO.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:37 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote:Yup. In my experience, SBA sponsored loans and community credit union loans (typically the easiest loans to get for a small business) require 2 years of revenues. I don't know why/where the other poster got the idea that small business loans are easy to get or just required a business plan.

I helped run a small startup manufacturing business with solid seed round investments from angels and VCs, business plan developed with the assistance of a major management consulting firm, a solid board, more than $1mm worth of tangible assets with no senior debt obligations and we still had to provide 2 years of revenues before most banks wanted to discuss debt funding. I can't imagine the standard for a solo law firm to be lower, but it's certainly possible. Interested in seeing what jenesaislaw finds out.

Talked to the branch manager today for my local branch of a mid-sized federal credit union. Two years of revenue required. So, not easy in the least at this FCU and there is no reason to suspect it is any different elsewhere.

No surprises. Thanks for going and actually finding out.

timbs4339 wrote:But didn't you hear that a JD is versatile? Versatile. Just keep repeating that to the bank manager in low, soothing tones until they make you CEO.

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”