Kansas Law admissions dean thread discussion thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Diamond

Re: Kansas Law admissions dean thread discussion thread

Post by 20160810 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Coming to meta-thread to express my sincere excitement for the dean's reply to the Rev.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:24 pm

SBL wrote:
Businesslady wrote:
SBL wrote:Even when I am figuring shit out on my own, which is increasingly often, it's done by referencing materials a 4L solo probably couldn't afford or asking other associates for help.
This does seem like a thing but I feel like a school serious about solos could still consider 1) extending its licenses for the materials available online to recent grads for a reasonable period of time and 2) expanding its practice clinics to include informal advice to recent grads in solo practice (with whatever disclaimers and indemnities necessary) as an admittedly way inferior substitute for associate supervision so the door doesn't hit them in the ass so hard when they get diplomas.

It just doesn't seem like that much of a thing in this instance, though, and there's gotta be a law Stack Overflow somewhere. Is the secret lawyer board fun?
I think law schools making their library materials available to graduates who go solo would be awesome.
I also like the idea of schools that are serious about solos expanding their clinical practices and more directly addressing the needs of solo practitioners (if you're marketing the idea to your students, why not offer classes and programs that will help prepare and support them when they go down that path?)

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:09 am

nygrrrl wrote:
SBL wrote:
Businesslady wrote:
SBL wrote:Even when I am figuring shit out on my own, which is increasingly often, it's done by referencing materials a 4L solo probably couldn't afford or asking other associates for help.
This does seem like a thing but I feel like a school serious about solos could still consider 1) extending its licenses for the materials available online to recent grads for a reasonable period of time and 2) expanding its practice clinics to include informal advice to recent grads in solo practice (with whatever disclaimers and indemnities necessary) as an admittedly way inferior substitute for associate supervision so the door doesn't hit them in the ass so hard when they get diplomas.

It just doesn't seem like that much of a thing in this instance, though, and there's gotta be a law Stack Overflow somewhere. Is the secret lawyer board fun?
I think law schools making their library materials available to graduates who go solo would be awesome.
I also like the idea of schools that are serious about solos expanding their clinical practices and more directly addressing the needs of solo practitioners (if you're marketing the idea to your students, why not offer classes and programs that will help prepare and support them when they go down that path?)
It wouldn't be hard to offer classes about solo marketing, dealing with solo clients, etc. You could have enough cases on advertising or on fee disputes to fit the ABA requirement, and it wouldn't be hard to get professors for a quarter the price of what you're paying your con law prof from Yale LR. It wouldn't cost the school very much, and it could help its students. Teaching constitutional or int'l law at a TTT isn't benefiting anyone.

Adapting to the times would be beneficial for everyone (the school will get more students, and students will benefit by getting education they can use). As less and less people go to TTT's, the only ones that will have a place in 20 years will be those that adapt to the new legal economy. These sort of proactive changes are good, and don't have to be altruistic. The school will benefit as well.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:20 am

UT has a class related to starting a solo practice. IDK how useful it is, but I think it's a good idea.
http://www.utexas.edu/law/sao/courses/c ... _num=28305

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:22 pm

Anybody know anybody who has, is, or will actually consider going to Kansas and would care enough to ask questions beyond "can I get a job after I graduate?"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:28 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Anybody know anybody who has, is, or will actually consider going to Kansas and would care enough to ask questions beyond "can I get a job after I graduate?"
People in Kansas. Chill.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Re his reply to Birdnals, holy shit what a tool. Email was obviously sports banter and he actually tried to blackball a kid's law school admission over it.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:06 pm

SBL wrote:Re his reply to Birdnals, holy shit what a tool. Email was obviously sports banter and he actually tried to blackball a kid's law school admission over it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just shocked it didn't work. You would think an email from one of the best schools in the midwest's dean of admissions would have kept me out of law school. Especially considering the grave threat I included in my original email.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:44 pm

Birdnals wrote:
SBL wrote:Re his reply to Birdnals, holy shit what a tool. Email was obviously sports banter and he actually tried to blackball a kid's law school admission over it.

I'm just shocked it didn't work. You would think an email from one of the best schools in the midwest's dean of admissions would have kept me out of law school. Especially considering the grave threat I included in my original email.
Did any of those other deans even bring it up? Were you accepted to all of those schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Birdnals wrote:

assistant* dean of admissions, or he might be assistant to* the dean of admissions, who knows

mmelittlechicken

Gold

Post by mmelittlechicken » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:04 pm

What a petty tyrant.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:08 pm

stay on topic please

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:50 pm

I already made this thread a little while ago about how people who go to law school and then work retail instead of doing law as a solo or somewhere else just don't actually wanna do law. I mean, you've taken three years of loans but then are afraid to take a little more to get experience or find clients? What a crock.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:31 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:I already made this thread a little while ago about how people who go to law school and then work retail instead of doing law as a solo or somewhere else just don't actually wanna do law. I mean, you've taken three years of loans but then are afraid to take a little more to get experience or find clients? What a crock.
Are you aware of any loans that are as easy to get as federal student loans?

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:39 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:I already made this thread a little while ago about how people who go to law school and then work retail instead of doing law as a solo or somewhere else just don't actually wanna do law. I mean, you've taken three years of loans but then are afraid to take a little more to get experience or find clients? What a crock.
Ya small business loans for opening a law practice aren't hard to get

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:44 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
Don't you have to show like 3 years of business records to get a loan?

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:45 am

lacrossebrother wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
I'm going to go to a credit union on Monday and ask. I'll report back. I'm interested to know the answer, but from what I know, it isn't easy for somebody who has nothing to secure the debt with.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:58 am

"I'm an unemployed law grad with 150k+ in debt. Wanna help me run a business with restaurant-esque failure rates? Oh, and I have no professional experience."

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:59 am

FKASunny wrote:"I'm an unemployed law grad with 150k+ in debt. Wanna help me run a business with restaurant-esque failure rates? Oh, and I have no professional experience."
oh sorry, I should have said you need a business plan...

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:00 am

lacrossebrother wrote:
FKASunny wrote:"I'm an unemployed law grad with 150k+ in debt. Wanna help me run a business with restaurant-esque failure rates? Oh, and I have no professional experience."
oh sorry, I should have said you need a business plan...
fuck, I forgot to take that class

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:05 am

Don't say I never helped you guys.

Solo lawyer business plan:

- Ambulance make/model in the area: Chevrolet 3500 DRW
- Average distance from which I could hear a siren: 1 mile
- Average speed of ambulance in city during an emergency: 50 mph

- Chance that an ambulance heard is initially getting closer to office location (therefore being heard for more than a moment, making it most likely to draw attention): 22/28 =~ 78.57%
- Daily costs: $100
- Average traffic ticket paid during chase: $100
- Average maintenance for the bucket of bolts I call a car: $75
- Chance there is an actual negligence: %12.5
- Average trial win rate: 40%
- Average share of compensation: $7000

So, %78.57x(%12,5x40%x(5000-275)+%87.5x(-275))+%21.43x(-100)= 0,7857x(338.75-240,625)-21,43=77,097-21,43=55,667

Under these assumptions you can expect to make a net $55,7 per day.

ETA: I realize the initial info about ambulance make/model isnt actually used in the model, I first intended to make it much more complicated by including the speed of the lawyer's car and locations of nearby hospitals but it kinda started looking like a traveling salesman problem so I stopped before I broke my brain. Meant for entertainment purposes only.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:29 am

Birdnals wrote:

Bet that guy was just a blast to be opposing counsel to when/if he was practicing. You just know he was THAT GUY every lawyer hates dealing with who files a 40-page motion and threatens sanctions and reporting you to the bar over trivial issues not important to the case simply out of spite.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:45 pm

deadpanic wrote:
Birdnals wrote:

Bet that guy was just a blast to be opposing counsel to when/if he was practicing. You just know he was THAT GUY every lawyer hates dealing with who files a 40-page motion and threatens sanctions and reporting you to the bar over trivial issues not important to the case simply out of spite.
There probably isn't a correlation. People take pride in what they do, and may take personal offense to their firm/law school being attacked. Most people would probably let it go, but I'm sure most people would be offended. You have to consider what most admissions deans are giving up (more money, practicing law, etc.). Merry Christmas.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:51 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
lacrossebrother wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
Don't you have to show like 3 years of business records to get a loan?
Yup. In my experience, SBA sponsored loans and community credit union loans (typically the easiest loans to get for a small business) require 2 years of revenues. I don't know why/where the other poster got the idea that small business loans are easy to get or just required a business plan.

I helped run a small startup manufacturing business with solid seed round investments from angels and VCs, business plan developed with the assistance of a major management consulting firm, a solid board, more than $1mm worth of tangible assets with no senior debt obligations and we still had to provide 2 years of revenues before most banks wanted to discuss debt funding. I can't imagine the standard for a solo law firm to be lower, but it's certainly possible. Interested in seeing what jenesaislaw finds out.

lacrossebrother

Platinum

Post by lacrossebrother » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:50 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:Don't say I never helped you guys.

Solo Lawyer Business Plan:

- Ambulance make/model in the area: Chevrolet 3500 DRW
- Average distance from which I could hear a siren: 1 mile
- Average speed of ambulance in city during an emergency: 50 mph

- Chance that an ambulance heard is initially getting closer to office location (therefore being heard for more than a moment, making it most likely to draw attention): 22/28 =~ 78.57%
- Daily costs: $100
- Average traffic ticket paid during chase: $100
- Average maintenance for the bucket of bolts I call a car: $75
- Chance there is an actual negligence: %12.5
- Average trial win rate: 40%
- Average share of compensation: $7000

So, %78.57x(%12,5x40%x(5000-275)+%87.5x(-275))+%21.43x(-100)= 0,7857x(338.75-240,625)-21,43=77,097-21,43=55,667

Under these assumptions you can expect to make a net $55,7 per day.

ETA: I realize the initial info about ambulance make/model isnt actually used in the model, I first intended to make it much more complicated by including the speed of the lawyer's car and locations of nearby hospitals but it kinda started looking like a traveling salesman problem so I stopped before I broke my brain. Meant for entertainment purposes only.
Could we have a whole thread dedicated to how unfunny you are?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”