UGPA vs. LSDAS GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OperaAttorney

Re: UGPA vs. LSDAS GPA

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:57 pm

saneac2 wrote:My undergraduate GPA according to my degree granting institution = 3.75 (graduated magna cum laude)

My undergraduate GPA according to LSAC = 3.17 (the toilet bowl)

I have a real problem with the way LSAC calculates GPA. I neglected to show up (at all) or drop my classes for a year at a community college for a variety of reasons. After I decided that I wanted to be in college I retook the classes that I bailed on then went on to transfer to my states flagship university where I never made below an A in anything, ever, again. Oh and by the way, all the classes that lead to the lowered GPA were 100 level type stuff. Every class I have ever taken over 300 level has been an A.

Yes... Life does suck.

You should be fine. Your strong positive grade trend, especially your stellar finish, will not go unnoticed. Be happy--your life does not suck. :)

USC2009

Postby USC2009 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:22 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
saneac2 wrote:My undergraduate GPA according to my degree granting institution = 3.75 (graduated magna cum laude)

I have a real problem with the way LSAC calculates GPA. I neglected to show up (at all) or drop my classes for a year at a community college for a variety of reasons. After I decided that I wanted to be in college I retook the classes that I bailed on then went on to transfer to my states flagship university where I never made below an A in anything, ever, again. Oh and by the way, all the classes that lead to the lowered GPA were 100 level type stuff. Every class I have ever taken over 300 level has been an A.

Yes... Life does suck.

You should be fine. Your strong positive grade trend, especially your stellar finish, will not go unnoticed. Be happy--your life does not suck. :)

It's nice to know that they take trends into account (at least somewhat). Makes it seem worthwhile to rebound from a bad start in college.

OperaAttorney

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:53 pm

Of course. Some schools will look past the bad grades, others will not. But there are enough schools out there that will; that's what matters. Several TLS members have gained admission to t14 schools with low cumulative GPAs and competitive LSAT scores. I wouldn't worry stress over it, really.

saneac2

Postby saneac2 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:30 am

Check this out. This is a partial copy (lacking all of my personal information of course) of my LSDAS report. Should I have wrote an addendum to explain this?

--ImageRemoved--

Keep in mind. This GPA was a 3.75 before LSAC got their hands on it.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:17 pm

OK, wtf LSDAS considers anything above a 3.5 an A? If this is the case, then my LSDAS GPA is golden! Please tell me this is the case... a 3.5 at my school it's a b+ or an a-. We don't do letter grades.
Last edited by robin600 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DerrickRose

Postby DerrickRose » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Another little thing to note is that LSAC counts an A- as 3.67 and a B+ as 3.33 rather than 3.6repeating or 3.3repeating.

Its a tiny difference, but it raised me from a 3.29 to a 3.30 so I'll take it

spastcjazz

Postby spastcjazz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:46 pm

My GPA went down by 0.55. Yes, you read that right.
Last edited by spastcjazz on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Ok my school doesn't give out + or -

How does this factor into the LSDAS gpa?

samcortina

Postby samcortina » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:48 pm

USC2009 wrote:I can't believe they count A+s as 4.33

My school doesn't offer them, and I'd imagine it would give someone a huge advantage if they went to a school where an A+ was a grade (unless it balanced out with a curve against the other students there or something).

Yeah, but you also go to an easy school where you can pay for higher grades.

zing. :wink:

go bruins.

gcalvin

Postby gcalvin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:17 pm

I have a rather unusual situation, and it will be interesting to see what LSDAS does with it. My undergraduate GPA is 3.74, but it's from Excelsior College, and mostly based on standardized exams:

a) 57 credits are based on CLEP exams, which are counted as pass/fail by Excelsior.
b) 24 credits are based on DSST exams. Excelsior credits my scores as As, but I don't know what LSDAS will do.
c) Another 30 credits are Excelsior College Exams: 12 at B level scores, and 18 at A level. Again, I don't know what LSDAS will do.
d) Another 6 credits are pass/fail on my transcript -- a Thomas Edison College Exam and a Penn Foster online course.
e) The last 3 credits are an Excelsior online course, in which I got a B.

Excelsior College is regionally accredited, but I don't know if that means that LSDAS will treat the grades they award for DSST exams or their own exams at face value. Also, I have some history from 30 years ago at Michigan, and I don't even remember how bad it is. I know I failed at least one course, and maybe more than three. I don't remember if I was put on academic probation or not, and in the end, I just walked away and didn't do anything official as to my status. About ten years later, I made an abortive attempt at some community college courses, and I know I have two Fs and a B+ there. Again, I walked away. My transcripts have all been ordered, and I'm checking the LSAC site several times a day. Should be interesting.

-Gary-

kritiosboy

Postby kritiosboy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Last edited by kritiosboy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:34 pm

But my school doesn't report A- or B+, there's no letter grades. It's a 4.0 or a 3.5, no in-between.

Robert398

Postby Robert398 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:00 pm

In my case, my degree-granting UGPA is a 3.98-99, but my LSAC GPA will be around a 3.9. This is due to several B's in community college courses I took while younger. I found community college courses to be rather tedious and was unengaged at times.

JJM84

Postby JJM84 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:06 pm

USC2009 wrote:I can't believe they count A+s as 4.33

My school doesn't offer them, and I'd imagine it would give someone a huge advantage if they went to a school where an A+ was a grade (unless it balanced out with a curve against the other students there or something).

Thanks for the GPA calculator. I'm gonna have to see what I get.

EDIT: Yeah, 3.63. More or less what I expected. If I get all As and take a full course load next semester, I could have a 3.68.

Huge advantage is an understatement in my case....My school's grade scale is ridiculous to say the least. a 91 will land you a 3.5.

So if you do manage to get a 4.0 at my school, It would be the same as getting a 4.33 at some other schools on the LSDAS scale.

Knock

Postby Knock » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:26 pm

saneac2 wrote:Check this out. This is a partial copy (lacking all of my personal information of course) of my LSDAS report. Should I have wrote an addendum to explain this?

--ImageRemoved--

Keep in mind. This GPA was a 3.75 before LSAC got their hands on it.

Can i find info for my school like this anywhere? specifically the GPA and LSAT info

djpsays

Postby djpsays » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:00 am

[url]http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator//url]

Timmah621

Postby Timmah621 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:27 am

Does LSDAS count high school courses that you've received credit for into your gpa, such as AP courses?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:32 am

Timmah621 wrote:Does LSDAS count high school courses that you've received credit for into your gpa, such as AP courses?

No, they only count classes where you received both credit and a letter grade (with some exceptions such as pass/fail).

ashockofpink

Postby ashockofpink » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:34 pm

Hey guys... I too was really confused between the UGPA and the LSDAS GPA and I was sick of having to manually go through and entering my grades, credits, etc. every time I wanted to look at what it was or try to determine what grades I needed to raise it to where I want so I hopped on Excel and made a spreadsheet that you can just easily fill out and save. It currently has my grades in it to hopefully give you a sense of how to use it... I think it's pretty straight forward and it will automatically calculate your LSDAS GPA :)

http://uploading.com/files/8dbb7142/LSD ... heet.xlsx/

Any comments or questions or anything that's just plain wrong about this would be great to know because I'm not an Excel genius but I'm hoping it's accurate

Enjoy :D

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:03 am

ashockofpink wrote:Hey guys... I too was really confused between the UGPA and the LSDAS GPA and I was sick of having to manually go through and entering my grades, credits, etc. every time I wanted to look at what it was or try to determine what grades I needed to raise it to where I want so I hopped on Excel and made a spreadsheet that you can just easily fill out and save. It currently has my grades in it to hopefully give you a sense of how to use it... I think it's pretty straight forward and it will automatically calculate your LSDAS GPA :)

http://uploading.com/files/8dbb7142/LSD ... heet.xlsx/

Any comments or questions or anything that's just plain wrong about this would be great to know because I'm not an Excel genius but I'm hoping it's accurate

Enjoy :D

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

sgt101st

Postby sgt101st » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:29 pm

Currently 3.81, LDAS is a 3.19. Reasons for it (gap in time, did service in the military, etc) but still. I'd give anything to only drop .0anything.

dba415

Postby dba415 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:27 pm

So if your school does NOT give out A-s, you are good right?

I ask because I have a bunch of "A's" which are most likely in the low 90s range (I mean why try harder when it's all the same) so I am wondering if this is going to hurt me and have it not count as a 4.0

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:49 am

My LSDAS GPA is 0.02 lower than my college GPA.

conrad wrote:I'm sure this has been asked before, but I was wondering how much of a difference there is between the two. I'm waiting while LSDAS calculates mine and was wondering what to expect. What factors influenced the difference in your GPAs? And if you don't mind answering: What is your UGPA and LSDAS GPA? Thanks.

iamrobk

Postby iamrobk » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:55 am

My 2 gpa's are exactly the same. Yay my undergrad school for being normal. :lol:

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:04 am

That does suck. I'm sorry to hear that.

Yes... Life does suck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”