Undergraduate transfer...law school chances hurt?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EllieR

Undergraduate transfer...law school chances hurt?

Postby EllieR » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:45 am

After high school I opted to attend my local CC instead of a University because of money issues. I am currently a Junior in terms of credits earned, but this is only my second year of undergrad, so I am still at the CC. AP tests in high school really helped me out and put me on track to graduate in three years. I took the October LSAT and I scored a 174. As of now, I have a 3.91 GPA and I feel good about law school, but I can not help but constantly worry. I am currently doing cross enrollment, so I am taking upper division classes at a four year, but when I think about it, I will only be at the four year university for a year. Will law schools care about this? Will going to a CC hurt my chances of getting into a great law school? Of course I plan on explaining my reason behind going to a community college instead of a four year when I apply. But is it enough?

Thank you.

Sheriff

Re: Undergraduate transfer...law school chances hurt?

Postby Sheriff » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:50 am

EllieR wrote:After high school I opted to attend my local CC instead of a University because of money issues. I am currently a Junior in terms of credits earned, but this is only my second year of undergrad, so I am still at the CC. AP tests in high school really helped me out and put me on track to graduate in three years. I took the October LSAT and I scored a 174. As of now, I have a 3.91 GPA and I feel good about law school, but I can not help but constantly worry. I am currently doing cross enrollment, so I am taking upper division classes at a four year, but when I think about it, I will only be at the four year university for a year. Will law schools care about this? Will going to a CC hurt my chances of getting into a great law school? Of course I plan on explaining my reason behind going to a community college instead of a four year when I apply. But is it enough?

Thank you.

They'll care but you'll be fine with such high numbers.

Also, don't double post.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:51 am

Sheriff wrote:
EllieR wrote:After high school I opted to attend my local CC instead of a University because of money issues. I am currently a Junior in terms of credits earned, but this is only my second year of undergrad, so I am still at the CC. AP tests in high school really helped me out and put me on track to graduate in three years. I took the October LSAT and I scored a 174. As of now, I have a 3.91 GPA and I feel good about law school, but I can not help but constantly worry. I am currently doing cross enrollment, so I am taking upper division classes at a four year, but when I think about it, I will only be at the four year university for a year. Will law schools care about this? Will going to a CC hurt my chances of getting into a great law school? Of course I plan on explaining my reason behind going to a community college instead of a four year when I apply. But is it enough?

Thank you.

They'll care but you'll be fine with such high numbers.

Also, don't double post.

I told her to re-post here because previously it was in the wrong forum.

fats provolone

Postby fats provolone » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:54 am

they won't care and you shouldn't explain it excessively in your PS (unless it fits naturally in with your story). definitely don't write an addendum or anything explaining why you went to community college. just keep your gpa up.

EllieR

Postby EllieR » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:55 am

Yes. Apologies in advance. My post is in two threads. As you can see, this is my first post and I did not realize that I had the wrong thread the first time.

EllieR

Postby EllieR » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:58 am

fats provolone wrote:they won't care and you shouldn't explain it excessively in your PS (unless it fits naturally in with your story). definitely don't write an addendum or anything explaining why you went to community college. just keep your gpa up.

That is a big relief. Many counselors are telling me to make sure I excessively explain my situation. I guess so that the law schools do not think I took an "easier route" by going to CC.

RZ5646

Postby RZ5646 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:00 am

Only GPA and LSAT matter. College prelaw counselors generally don't know the first thing about the law school admissions process. Sad but true.

mvp99

Postby mvp99 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:26 am

kind of off topic but If I was in your position, I would take a year off, travel, do other shit... LS will be there when you come back.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:35 am

You might underperform your numbers re: HYS, but you'll probably be fine everywhere else. If your GPA stays above 3.9, I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled H and $$ at CCN on down. Might even be in play for a full ride from one of MVPD. At the end of the day all they report to US News is your numbers.

sheishkabob

Postby sheishkabob » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:03 am

I don't think it matters at all really. I did kind of the same thing...went to a shitty university out of high school for a semester, hated it, went to a community for a year and a half, and then transferred to a top university. So far, I've already gotten into some T 14s and my LSAT is much lower than yours. It just matters how you spin it, as it can definitely show character

KMart

Postby KMart » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:52 am

You'll be alright. They won't care much. They might ask about it in an interview, but it's unlikely to be a negative as long as you have some sort of answer formulated.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”